Chapter 21

Chapter 21

The drive from Michael’s home back to my street did nothing to ease the rage I felt toward Caleb. I was seeing red. I parked my car back home and marched the distance down the street to his place. It was probably a foolish move considering his state of mind but I knocked anyway. When he opened I noticed two things, one he didn’t look much better than when I saw him last and two Jamie wasn’t home. I asked where she was.

“She went out with Sarah. She was tired of being home and could use the fresh air.” Caleb explained and let me past the door at the same time. Sarah was Jamie’s cousin and also part of her uncle’s pack. He stood close enough to inhale my scent and did. “You’re angry.”

I crossed my arms over my chest and kept my eyes on him just I case his fragile state turned violent. “Yeah, I went to see Michael. He knows everything now but he said something that has me confused. Maybe you can clear that up. He said you were right that I belong more with your kind than his, when did you speak to him?” it would be a stupid move but I wanted to attack him and take all my anger out on him for having the audacity to do what he did.

“Before I saw you at the hospital we ran into each other.” Caleb said and turned away to sit down on the sofa. He wasn’t in good shape at all when he spoke to Michael. Not that he was now either.

I knew that and I couldn’t blame him for not thinking when his emotions were all over the place and laced with guilt for his brother. “Fine I understand now is a bad time for you but for the record I don’t belong to any side. I helped you and now that’s over. I’ll be getting on with my life now.” I turned to leave.

“What life?”

I gripped the door handle and didn’t turn around. “Are you trying to hurt me?”

Caleb stood behind me. “What gives you that idea?”

“You’re hurting and I’m an easy target.” I turned around and met his dark blue eyes. “For now.” I added.

“Is that a threat? It does amaze me how you can pretend to be so tough when you’re actually scared of me. But I’ve seen what you can do and I won’t push your limit.”

“You already have. I can’t believe you said something to Michael when you knew; you were the only one who knew I wasn’t ready to say anything.” I felt tears rushing to my eyes again. “You made it harder for him to listen.”

“He’ll never understand you Evangeline and he’ll never accept what you are.”

“I don’t need you to tell me that. I don’t need you to tell me anything. Your life is no picnic so please don’t try and give me advice.” I wanted to leave and slam the door in his face and never speak to him again, if I could just seem to move. On one hand I was mad at him and on the other hand I continued to feel bad for him. I didn’t need his advice and he didn’t need me. “You asked me for help and now it’s done with. There’s no reason for us to associate.”

I left and walked back to my empty house. I was sad over Michael but I couldn’t blame Caleb, my love life was a problem before him.

 For the second time that day I found Jared in my personal space. He was coming down the stairs as I was shutting the front door. “You shouldn’t be here.” He said with a cringe, looking like a child caught with his hands in the cookie jar.

I scoffed. “I live here.”

Jared sighed, it seemed whatever his plan was fell through. “You shouldn’t be here now; you could’ve waited a few more minutes.”

“Sorry.” I said mockingly, it was my place and he came in uninvited. “You broke in didn’t you?”

“I’d rather call it a nice gesture.”

“To break in? What were you doing?” I narrowed my eyes as I questioned him but I didn’t have it in my heart to be actually mad. Jared was a nice change from the emotional turmoil that was Michael and Caleb.

“I plead the fifth.” He shrugged his shoulders and joined me by the front door. “About our date…”

I smiled and shook my head. I couldn’t believe I thought he was the shy quiet type. “I don’t date and if I did I wouldn’t date a werewolf.”

His eyes took a serious shade, he was intrigued now. “Why?”

“You’re control freaks and it’s more a power play than anything else with you guys.” I used the short explanation instead of going into the long drawn out reason I was wary of shapeshifters. I suddenly thought about Kevin again.

Jared was a dominate male who didn’t know how to give up. “Let me prove you wrong and we can make it fun.”

I should’ve kicked him out but again he was a nice distraction. “How?” I crossed my arms and pretended to be uninterested.

A mischievous grin tucked at the corner of his lips, I should’ve backed away then. “A bet. You go out with me and if you don’t enjoy yourself then I’ll stop hounding you.” Confidence oozed from his words, you didn’t make it as the alpha’s third by being anything less.

“Not that there’s a chance but if you win?”

Jared brushed past me and reached for the door, he ran his fingers down my cheek to my neck. “You’ll have to wait and see.” He left, shutting the door behind him.  I couldn’t explain why I agreed to play along with his game. It was the first choice I had made in awhile that I didn’t over analyze, it felt good.