Chapter 8

Chapter 8

While Caleb met with his wolves in the kitchen and Jamie wrote her sorrows down on paper I stepped outside and sat on the porch steps. I couldn’t sit on my ass for the warlock to come after me or for Caleb to figure out who was after him. I knew what I had to do but I was stuck until sunset. It was chilly out and looked like it might rain soon. It felt good to just sit there with nothing to do but wait and plan. I had a plan lined out except I wasn’t sure of it working, I feared it mostly.

“Hey.” Jamie jumped down the step and sat beside me. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.” I looked away from the cloudy sky and gave her my full attention.

“My dad doesn’t like me to worry or be scared and because of that he doesn’t tell me anything. I saw him talking to Mikey and Jared inside, Jake was here earlier and you’re here to watch me nonstop. How bad is it?” The young girl was worried; it showed in her voice and in her eyes.

“We don’t know and that’s why he’s being extra careful.”

“I wish there was something I could do.”

“There is, don’t give him a hard time at least until this is over. He has a lot on his plate on a regular day and this isn’t regular.” It felt very weird to defend Caleb. I had always either been indifferent or upset toward him for the way he had looked at me as less. He tolerated vampires but did not like them. I understood the powerlessness she felt, again she reminded me of a person I used to be. “I have to bring a few things from my place, you want to help me?” I was helping the werewolves but it was still tense inside the house, I wanted to keep busy and stay away while the meeting was going on.

With a nod Jamie stood from the porch and walked with me down the street. I kept my eyes and ears open for anyone lurking near by but I didn’t expect the warlock yet. The High Coven witches didn’t conduct business during the day.

We went right up to my room where I packed an overnight bag and a few weapons, mostly a couple of guns because you could slow anything down with a good shot. Jamie leaned against the dresser as I slipped my weapons box back under the bed. “What are you thinking?” her eyes were distant and her forehead wrinkled in thought.

“Why do werewolves and vampires hate each other?” she asked, her mind still on Ray.

“I really don’t know.” I remembered something about a feud a very long time ago and the animosity still lingered, as if installed in each race but I didn’t know much. “You should talk to Jake, his best friend deal’s with vamps and they’re still close. But I think it won’t matter what the guy is, your dad will hate him, dad’s are like that.” I couldn’t stop myself in time before my mind slipped to my father. He would never accept any man in my life unless he chose him and he had a long time ago.

Back at the Nikolas residence Jamie ran back up to her room. I didn’t blame her; if I had a room like that I’d never leave it. She took my overnight bag to her room and I kept the weapons one near the sofa. I glanced out the window and noticed the colors slowly changing as the night neared. From my spot at the window I heard Caleb and his wolves still talking. It wasn’t serious business since the whole pack wasn’t there; it was a job for Mikey and Jared to handle, tonight. I didn’t hear any details as it was the end of the discussion.

I watched them come out of the kitchen as I sat with my back against the window. Everyone stopped cold when the house shook. I met Caleb’s eyes. “He’s not wasting time. Make sure Jamie stays upstairs.” He sent Mikey for the task as I opened the front door. There stood the warlock seething at the bottom of the porch because he knew he couldn’t get inside. “You’re a sore loser.”

“I don’t lose.” He came up the porch and stopped two steps from the door unable to go any farther. “Why don’t you come out and I can show you.”

I slipped off my jacket. “It was very stupid to send that picture of my parents. It’s death to threaten a coven witch.”

“You can’t prove I did, you’ll be dead before you can say anything and I’ll be the hero for ridding them of their embarrassment.” He smiled as he said it.

His words stung because I believed them, I believed I was my parent’s biggest shame. I didn’t say anything as I tossed my cellphone on the sofa and kicked off my sneakers. “Like clockwork here you are. I must’ve bruised your ego a lot more than I gave myself credit for.” I put my hands on the frame of the door and leaned forward, teasing him as he still couldn’t touch me. “You agree to leave the Alpha and his daughter alone and I’m all yours.”

“Evangeline—” Caleb didn’t like my plan.

The warlock smiled again. “Deal.” I stepped outside and made sure no one else could by enforcing the barrier.  We circled each other on the lawn, I was grateful none of the neighbors were out but that could change at any moment. It was personal for my assailant and he wanted to make sure I knew that. He didn’t attack from afar using his magic, he charged at me for hand to hand combat.

I landed hard on the grass and felt his hand rip into my stomach, they were claws. The scent of my own blood surrounded all my senses. I kicked him in the chest and sent him flying of me; he landed on his feet in a crouched position ready to strike again.

“Is that how you want to play it? Just because I left early doesn’t mean I don’t know how to handle what’s inside of me.” the feeling I opened inside my body was both welcoming and painful.

We shifted at the same time; he took on the shape of a wildcat while I used a wolf. It was the first image that came into my mind perhaps because I was near them all day. I had denied everything of my past and what came with it but I never forgot. Like riding a bike I needed a second to get comfortable in the seat but I knew how to peddle.

There was no magic as we fought animalistic, I was careful because he was still strong and had years of training with the coven on me. But I had rage on my side, I was personally invested as I wanted him to suffer for scaring Jamie and threatening my parents.

We entangled in each other both trying to get the upper hand. I felt his long nails scratch at me as we wrestled on the grass. When I got the upper hand my jaw closed around his neck as I pinned him. His warm blood ran down my throat with a bitter taste. He clawed at me again down my back this time; I jumped away before he could go too deep.

His neck was bleeding heavily but he wouldn’t die from it, I wasn’t that lucky but it was enough to send him running. If he risked continuing the fight then he would die. He was a smart fighter and he knew when to run but he was stupid to keep coming back. I knew he’d be back again and again until one of us didn’t get up. 

The adrenaline quickly ran out. I fell on my side to the grass as everything at once started to burn and hurt. Before I ran out of energy I shifted back to human form and lifted the extra barrier from the house. I closed my eyes in hopes to tune out the pain.

In seconds Caleb was at my side, Mikey not far as I heard him ask, “What the hell is she?”