Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I stayed very still not to alert him. I smelled the heavy scent of blood and knew he was hurt, that screwed up all sense of control he knew. A wounded animal’s first instinct was survival; he was on guard and ready to strike anything that seemed harmful toward him. I needed to make him feel safe and I had no clue how. “Caleb, I need you to let me up so I can help you.” I lowered all my defenses and let my body relax, I let myself become submissive toward him. I needed his wolf to understand me more than the man because he was gone.

I closed my eyes as he moved closer. I kept telling myself not to be scared, fear would only set him off farther into a hunting mentality. He sniffed along my neck and let out a small whine. He grabbed my chain with his teeth and pulled it off. I couldn’t think of a reason why it would bother him. I heard his nails against the floor as he stepped back. I opened my eyes and watched as he walked away from me. I let myself finally breathe.

He moved over to the sofa where it gave him cover to shift back into human form. Now that he realized the danger was gone he no longer needed the wolf to fight the battle.

I got up from the floor and walked over to him once it was done. He covered himself with the same sheet I used last night. He looked at me with literally painful eyes laced with regret and fear.

“I’m sorry.” Escaped my mouth, barely whisper as my own regret set in. Jamie was gone and I hadn’t been here to help. I probably could’ve protected her the same way I had done last night. “What happened?” I kneeled down to the ground so I wouldn’t be towering over him. His eyes still held flickers of yellow, his control was still off and he was still as dangerous.

“The warlock came back. He was prepared to get around the barrier you had set up.”

I sighed and jumped into it; sitting around feeling sorry only wasted time. “I found out who hired the warlock to take Jamie from you. Does the name Nick Tobias ring any bells?”

Clarity settled in Caleb’s eyes, he was back and ready to get his daughter home. “Before coming to Celestin to take over the Grayson pack as requested by Thomas, I was part of a pack with Nick.” His voice was cold as he remembered the man responsible for this nightmare.

“What does he want?”

“Revenge.” Caleb stood from the floor with the sheet wrapped around his waist. “This means he’s in town and it’s only a matter of finding him.” he stopped in front of me and brushed his hand across my cheek and lingered there. “Thank you.”

I felt too engrossed in his eyes; I blinked and managed to look away. “You’re hurt.” The cut was about six inches across near his abs.

He dropped his hand back to his side. “He was successful with the knife this time.”

I stood up and glanced around the living room, mostly to avoid looking at him. I spotted my pendent on the floor and went to pick it up. “Why did this bother you earlier?”

“I don’t know.” He walked past me and went upstairs to get dressed.

I pocketed the necklace and fixed the living room while I waited from him to come back down. I thought of Jamie as I did it, she liked when I used my magic. I hoped she wasn’t too scared; she just needed to hold on because between everyone on her side she’d be brought back home.

“Let’s find the warlock first.” I said, watching as he came downstairs. “He might know where Nick is hiding in town and has Jamie.” I had a better chance of finding the warlock first. “Do you have a map of the city?”

Caleb grabbed the map from the kitchen and laid it on the coffee table for me. “What are you doing?”

“I can trace him by his blood but I don’t have the time or patience to do it the vampire way and go looking to feel him out around town. You add a little magic and it’s much easier, and faster.” I closed my eyes and focused on the warlock’s face, the taste of his blood as it ran down my throat. I used my chain as a marker; it swung along the map as I released my power through the pendant. I opened my eyes when it hit the map. “43rd street.”

“There’s not much there but a few broken down buildings.”

“He’s hiding out until he can get back to the village. Nick probably has him on standby in case he needs more help.” I gathered my bag of weapons and the map. We went in my car since the warlock wouldn’t recognize it from the driveway. The element of surprise was a strong one and would make all the difference on how bloody the meeting would get.

Caleb drove while I kept my focus on the map, I didn’t want to lose the warlock and if he moved I’d know it.

Caleb kept his eyes ahead with determination to reach the warlock. He’d never voice it but he was scared for his only child, every second she was away that fear grew and caused the mind to play tricks. I could only imagine what he thought could be happening to her.

“Why does Nick want revenge against you?” I asked, it would help to know what type of man we were dealing with.

“He was kicked out of our pack and no others would let him join. Like I said a lone animal leads a hard life. He didn’t like to play by the rules and one night he went too far. I was the reason of his downfall.” Caleb spoke with hate in his voice. If Nick thought he had it bad before it was only going to get worse. I wouldn’t want Caleb gunning for me.

I braced myself and asked the question on both our minds. “Would he hurt Jamie?” Caleb said nothing and pressed his foot harder on the gas. Anyone around Caleb for any amount of time could see Jamie meant more to him than anything else in the world. A wolf that didn’t play by the rules and bent on revenge would extort that bond between Caleb and Jamie as much as possible.

We bolted from the car when we reached the apartment building that held the warlock’s scent the strongest. After three fights of stairs his presence became as strong as it would get. I kicked in the door ready to fight, ready to take out all my frustration on him from the meeting with my father to Jamie’s disappearance and everything in between.

I stopped short and my eyes grew wide. There wouldn’t be any fighting. The warlock was face down dead on the ratty old wood floors in a pool of his own blood.

“Nick did this.” Caleb said. “His scent is all over the body and he had help. He’s working with other wolves.” We had more information but it wasn’t good news in the least.