Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I was glad the warlock couldn’t come after me but it was a bittersweet feeling because deep down I wanted to be the one to kill him. I never killed anyone before but something ugly and burning deep in my soul wanted to hurt that bastard for the pain he was causing to people I cared about. If I killed him when I had his neck in my mouth Jamie wouldn’t be scared and alone right now. Caleb wouldn’t be going insane with fear. I blamed myself for not doing more for the Nikolas family and nothing was going to change that until we found Nick Tobias and fixed this mess.

I could understand going after Caleb but Nick should’ve been a man about it and went after him directly without involving Jamie, except I had to remember this guy didn’t like playing by the rules and that’s why he was kicked out of the pack in the first place.

We went to the Grayson Compound to meet with the pack. I was wary after what Caleb said about other wolves sensing the animal within me but he promised nothing would happen while he there and I took comfort in that.

I stood back while he explained Nick Tobias, a lone wolf in town, needed to be found and brought in alive. With Jamie’s life at stake everyone was at their top game and knew if they fucked up the punishment would be endless. The pack quickly cleared out to hunt the city for Nick. Jake offered to search the police databases for any information on the name.

With his second in command out Caleb’s third stuck around as back up; Jared. I felt easier around him and Caleb because they knew my secret and wouldn’t get the wrong idea if I shifted or used magic.

“Leverage means he wants something.” Jared spoke. “He’ll contact you with demands like any other kidnapping.” He said it to give his Alpha some hope. Nick couldn’t hurt Jamie and risk his bargaining chip.

I watched the strong man in front of me slowly breaking  down and knew I had to do something more than sit around and wait. I slipped outside leaving the two men to talk alone. I walked away from the house to gain enough space not to be overheard.  I pulled out my cellphone and called Michael. “I need your help. Jamie was taken out of Caleb’s house and she might not have much time. I need you to put the word out that we need to find Nick Tobias, he has her.” if he couldn’t do this for me Michael wasn’t the man I loved; a man who wouldn’t let someone suffer because of the tension between us.

“I’ll call you if we find something.” he hung up. Between the werewolves and the vampires before sunset something on Nick should be found. Walking back up to the cabin I looked at the surrounding forest, it reminded me of the good memories from the village and after the meeting with my dad it was nice to remember something positive.

Caleb was pacing the floor while Jared sat, we were all restless. As I stared at Caleb I knew I was looking for something, I felt it but I wasn’t sure what it was. Suddenly I was six years old again and my aunt was teaching me about blood spells. “Give me a sheet of paper.” I told Jared and told Caleb to sit. Jared returned with a blank sheet of white paper. I pulled my pocket knife from my sneaker. “Lay back.”

Caleb gave me a questioning look but he was learning I usually had a point and rolled with it. He laid back against the armrest of the sofa while I balanced myself on my knee between his legs and lifted his shirt high enough to reveal the stab wound the warlock had given him. I put the sheet of paper over his stomach and used the knife to cut my hand.

Jared moved closer and watched intently as I put my bleeding hand over the paper. As soon as I did the magic within the injury pulled me. I had been right about the warlock’s way of thinking. I knew there was a twisted satisfaction from him to make it so painful. I gasped as the blood became bright magical light. I was panting for air when it was finally over. I looked at the paper and was relieved with the result. I gave it to Caleb and moved off of him.

The paper showed in bright red letters—written in my blood from the message the warlock laid inside Caleb—a note from Nick. He wanted to meet as soon as the message was found down by the Celestin Park.

“He knew I’d find it.” I said speaking of the warlock. “He probably pitched the idea to Nick as a way to test me.” I took Caleb’s place pacing behind the sofa in hopes to calm the jitters from the magic use.

“Test you?” Jared questioned.

“He thought I was too good for the runaway witch, the fight was a test too. He wanted to win and show me he was better. But he’s dead so I guess I win.”

“Let’s go see what he has to say.” Caleb led the way outside, if anything he looked angrier. He wasn’t the type of man to play games, he was tired of the tricks Nick was using trying to lure him in when they weren’t unnecessary. He had Jamie and Caleb was ready to do anything at this point.

The park was a perfect place for late night meetings because it was empty. Celestin citizens knew or at least felt it wasn’t safe to be out after dark and kept indoors. I sat in the back seat of the car impatient to come face to face with Nick.

“What are you doing?” Jared asked, turning in his seat to face me.

I was starting to realize he was uneasy when it came to my magic. “Warming up.” I held a small ball of energy in my hands and closed them together letting it disappear. I smiled at him. “I know what I’m doing.”

We parked on the street and walked through the park entrance. It was dark and very quiet. It wasn’t a good combination and I was wary with every step we took.  I looked up to the sky as thunder clapped, adding to the bubbling fear in my throat. I scanned the park, the benches, low cut grass and trees and saw no one.

Another clap of thunder surrounded us and I nearly blew up a tree when I put my hands out. I couldn’t understand why I was so scared. I didn’t see anything but something in the park was wrong. The realization hit me hard; it was a trap but for what?

In seconds we were surrounded. I fought off a few men psychically, I didn’t want to use magic unless I had to and risk the wrong person seeing. The fight between the two men, two werewolves, didn’t last long as they turned and ran away. By then it started to rain pretty hard. I scanned the empty park and found Jared getting up.

“Where’s Caleb?” he asked, running a hand over his wet hair.

We both turned and searched the area, calling out his name over the rain. “It was a trap to take him.”