Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Upstairs in the matter of seconds it went from a eerily silent space to a battle field ripped from a war.

 Caleb gained a second wind as he foresaw the end of the battle. He led the way upstairs and gained some of his strength back from being near his pack. He wasted no time directing orders, the first being at me to go protect Jamie.

I was happy to submit this time rather than watch the blood shed that caught my eye as we hid along the kitchen archway. Most were in human form while a few others took their wolf shape. I ran back to the room I left Jamie in only to find I was too late in reaching her before Nick got a clever idea.

This guy was not letting me catch a break.

Nick stood holding a gun to Jamie’s neck. “I was waiting to see who would come to the rescue. I hoped it would be my brother but you’ll do. After all I have you to thank for ruining a very well thought out plan that was guaranteed to work.”

I couldn’t do much as he held onto her and the gun. “It would’ve never worked. Caleb would never risk anyone’s life for his own.” I kept my eyes between Jamie’s and the gun. “All you’re doing is pissing off a lot of people. If you want to survive this then let her go and go join your merry men.” I was positive if Nick ended up downstairs he’d be ripped to pieces, literally.

His grip tightened around her. “I don’t think so.”

Tears began to fall from Jamie’s eyes, she was only fifteen years old and shouldn’t have to be dealing with something like this. My jaw tightened and I looked at Nick. “What do you want?”

Nick knew he was backed into a corner and after a few seconds of giving that some thought he chose to use the resources he had on hand. “You get me out of here, untouched.”

Magic or no magic I couldn’t take on over twenty angry werewolves although the total was probably lower as the fight went on. “Whatever you want just let her go.” It was stupid to show you were personally involved because it could be used against you. I didn’t care though, I wanted her safe.

Jamie and I switched places as hostages. “Evie!” she cried out.

“You stay here until your father comes and everything will be fine.” I looked at Nick’s hand gripping my arm. “This’ll be a walk in the park.”

Nick pushed me forward and we left the room. “It was nice giving the kid false hope like that.” he stood behind me with the gun pointed near my neck as we walked down the stairs. I think we were both surprised to see the house was empty. All that remained along the floors and walls were bright red blood still wet, and no bodies. “What’s going on?” he demanded as if I had been told some sort of plan.

I didn’t know any more than he did however I knew for a fact Caleb wouldn’t leave without Jamie. The pack was around here, somewhere. “I don’t know, I didn’t get the memo either. But seeming as no one is here you don’t need me anymore. Just leave out that door right there.”

“No.” his grip tightened. “Caleb isn’t that easy to get rid of.” perhaps he did know something about his brother.

“I thought my family was bad but you’ve got us beat. That was your own niece you terrorized who hasn’t done anything to you. You lost so now deal with it and run before someone decides to come back or I decide a bullet would be worth hurting you in exchange for.” I had reached my limit, the day was going on too long and I just wanted to go home and forget it all. 

“Let her go.” Caleb’s voice was chilling from the shadows, each word was slow and carried the same impact as a physical blow.

“And let you win again? I don’t think so.” Nick was growing nervous now that he had no one on his side, no one to give orders to.

I desperately wanted him to let me go, I didn’t like to be held at gunpoint, once had been enough about six years ago when one of Michaels rivals grabbed ahold of me. “Why don’t you let me go and you two can duke it out and I go home?”

“Quiet.” Nick harshly whispered as he scanned the living room looking for Caleb. In the painfully silent room I could hear his heart beating wildly against his chest, the man was scared. I probably would be if I was in his shoes.

I was starting to believe Nick hadn’t been a wolf for long because he was too shaky and he didn’t notice the small things like the faint footsteps from the side hallway next to the staircase. I felt Caleb like a small breeze against the back of my neck. I met his dark blue eyes and felt somewhat better but even that didn’t stop the need I had to do something. It was me after all with the gun aimed too close to my neck.

“This is insane!” I snapped, bringing Nick’s eyes back to me for only a moment as he kept looking for his brother. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone so nervous. “This has nothing to do with me and I don’t even like Caleb. Let me go already!” that was the jest of what I kept saying until Nick lost any patience he had and kept trying to get me to shut up. He lost focus and I made my move.

I elbowed him in the stomach and jumped out of the way landing on the floor. He managed to get a shot off before he took off running. The bullet went straight through my arm and landing in the plaster of the wall. I held my hand over the wound and looked for Caleb. He must’ve took off after Nick. Maybe Nick could’ve survived attacking his brother and trying to take his pack but the moment he had involved Jamie all bets were off. Caleb wouldn’t be forgiving or merciful.

I struggled to stand using my knees to prop me up. The last few days came back furiously as all my battle wounds throbbed with pain. It didn’t stop me from running as best I could upstairs to grab Jamie. She gasped and her eyes became too wide. “It’s a flesh wound.” I told her. “It completes this beat up mess that is me. Let’s get the hell out of here.”