Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I chickened out.

Facing Michael and my past at the same time was too much to swallow. I told him I was a born witch, he knew it was a little more than that because he worked with witches and none were like me. I made up some excuse about needing to meet someone and quickly left. He wasn’t happy, I couldn’t remember the last time he was happy to see me, but he let me go.

I arrived back to Caleb’s to find Jake Thompson sitting in the living room. He was a werewolf I did get along with, we had known each other before I was turned vampire and he was turned werewolf. He was still young in the werewolf years only having six under his belt but he gained his control and strength quicker and better than anyone else and worked his way to the number two position in Caleb’s pack.

I sat in the lounge chair. “Did he tell you?”

“He told me someone came after him and Jamie last night and that you helped out. He doesn’t go around telling secrets if that’s what you’re worried about. Plus I don’t need to know how you managed to help, I’m just glad you did. Caleb had some pack business to handle.” Jake casually explained.

I looked to the staircase where I could hear Jamie’s movements. “I’m not going anywhere if you want to go.”

“I’ll wait.” Jake told his Alpha he’d be there and it would take a lot more for him to dishonor that promise. A pack relationship was something rarely seen these days, there was honor and trust, loyalty, a respect.

“I’ll check on her.” I didn’t want to sit in one spot and risk thinking about Michael and how easily he made me feel guilty for lying to him, for running away every time it got too serious. Who wanted to have a serious emotional chat with their ex they still loved? Not me.

Jamie was seated on her bed scribbling in a note pad. “Hey Evie.” She smiled.

“Hey.” I took the time to check the security of her room. The room was big and fit for a princess, it wasn’t surprising at all to know Caleb spoiled his daughter. The walls were a pale pink with a flowered boarder along the edge of the ceiling There was a complete bed set, stereo system, large TV and DVD player. The laptop computer was on the bed. I moved over to her window. “How you feeling?” I placed my hand over the glass.

“Imprisonment isn’t so bad yet.”

“He just wants to keep you safe and before you say it; no you can’t take care of yourself, not against everything that’s out there. We both don’t like to sit on our ass and wait so this should be over with as soon as it can.” I needed it to be over so I could get some peace of mind back and away from the past starting to work its way too close to the present.

“It sucks I had to cancel all my dates with Ray.” Her mouth twisted into a frown.

I suddenly heard Caleb’s voice in my head and that wasn’t a good thing. “Maybe not, dating a vampire is pretty stupid, Jamie.”

“We’re careful.” Her eyes were the same dark shade of blue as her father’s. She looked at me with all the seriousness in the world. I feared she was coming to love the vampire and that wouldn’t be good in the long run.

I sat along the ledge of the window and sighed. “So was I, but a vampire’s instinct can’t just be turned off. I dated a vampire for years and it was fine until one night it wasn’t. If he loves you he’ll try to protect you and when he can’t anymore it’ll kill him while you’ll be left with a broken heart.” It was better to say that than suggest he could be using her when I didn’t know the full story between the young couple. I couldn’t tell her yet I was considered a vampire. I still needed some time to work up to that.

Jamie was young and dramatic, she let that show now. “You dated a vampire!” she was shocked to say the least.

Celestin was a breeding ground for all supernatural, what else did you date? I thought with a grin. “It was a long time ago and a life lesson. I’m not trying to control you or ruin your life like I heard you yell at your father. I just want you to know it can happen to you and it’s not worth it. You’re young with no need to settle down.” I did my part and voiced my experience to her but it was a choice she still had to make, whether it was the right one or not.

I left her alone to think of that and process what she felt or wanted to ask me later. I stepped off the stairs to find Jake was gone and Caleb was back, he stood by the fireplace looking through a stack of mail. It looked as if he didn’t notice me but with his wolf he heard when I left Jamie’s room, maybe even what I told her.

“How’d your visit go with Michael?” he asked.

For a reason I didn’t know or understand I answered Caleb, a man I barely spoke to in the past. “It didn’t, I chickened out and left.”

“Why?” he turned away from the mantel, his eyes were very blue in the sunlight. I looked in them and couldn’t turn away.

“Because I didn’t want to tell him everything about me was a lie, that everything I told him about me was never the complete truth.” I moved away from the staircase and over to the window. It was bright outside, it looked peaceful and clean. “I talked to her about Ray; I think it might’ve helped.”

“You’re sad.” The softness of his voice made me turn around, the empathy from him shocked me. “I can smell it; it’s coming off you in waves.” He said just as soft, it was weird to see him with a look of concern across his features.

“You want me to step outside, air out the house of all smells?”

Caleb Nikolas actually smiled. “No. You could just feel better.”

I turned back to the window. “I’ll try that.” I touched my hand to the glass. “I boarded all your windows up with an invisible shield. If he comes back he won’t get in as easy.” I hoped he would come back and we could have another face off but this time Jamie wouldn’t be involved. “Have you thought more about it, what someone would want from you to go through all this trouble?”

“There’s been peace in town. With no clear conflict I can’t make any guesses but I’m working on it.” He was tense as he spoke, determined to track down who put his daughter at risk. Caleb was a business man that knew how to listen and reflect on all point of views before making a move except now all bets were off. He didn’t care for reason once someone he cared about was personally affected.

I watched as two men came up the walkway. “You have visitors.” I recognized his wolves, Mikey and Jared, after Jake they came around the house the most. Mikey was an odd wolf, he associated with vampires and worked for the master vampire of the city when he wasn’t working for Caleb. Since both men kept peaceful ground for the good of the city Mikey wasn’t torn between sides. He was tall and lanky with average features and brown hair; he didn’t seem the animal type but he was one of the best.

Jared was the quite wolf, he could be very deceiving seeming with his subtle demeanor but he was a strong wolf. His casual manner added to his already large sex appeal. His eyes were a light green that looked exotic along his tanned skin and dark hair.

Living on the same street as Caleb for years I learned a few things about the pack. Standing right next to the door I opened it. “Howdy.” I shut the door behind them.

“Evangeline is staying to protect Jamie.” Caleb explained my presence since it was rather strange. The only time I was at the house was to deliver for Michael. “Excuse us.” He said to me and the three men walked into the kitchen. It surprised me he didn’t just ask for me to leave.

In the past he was always been tight with me or indifferent but now I was helping him and that changed our dynamic. I was relieved for the difference because now maybe my time with the Nikolas family wouldn’t be too uncomfortable, so I hoped.