Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I woke up and wished I hadn’t, as soon as I did every inch of my body hurt. The living room light was harsh forcing me to keep my eyes closed. I knew I had passed out and now I was laid out on the sofa. This was one of the few times I wished the vampire virus had fully taken, they healed faster and I wouldn’t be in so much pain right now.

I took a deep breath and told myself to suck it up. I opened my eyes and found four sets of eyes watching me. Mikey and Jamie wore wide eyed confused expressions while Caleb and Jared stood back without much expression at all. “Hi.” I said, sounding awkward. I felt my eyes cross while I tried to sit up and my body protested roughly. I remembered I was naked from shifting and held the sheet tight around me as I inched up on the armrest.

Caleb sent Jamie upstairs to wait until I felt up for questions, I was sure she had tons. He also sent Mikey to watch her. Jared stared at me in a way that left me feeling uncomfortable.  “It was stupid to go out there.” Caleb said to me.

“No, I knew what I was doing and trust me he’s hurting a lot worse.” I explained and met his blue eyes and hard expression. “I bit him. I don’t have all vampire traits but I have that one, I can track him now and you can find out who hired him.” I planned to get some sort of blood sample from the warlock earlier but I hadn’t factored in shifting. I had to be ready for anything when the warlock returned. There was still something I had to do.

 “You’re a vampire!” Jamie screamed, apparently Mikey couldn’t keep her upstairs. She was upset and scared as she joined us all in the living room again. “Is anything you ever told me the truth?”

“Leave her.” I said to Caleb before he said something. “I never lied to you. I just never told you everything. Remember what we talked about today? He went too far when he bit me and changed me so I wouldn’t die but the virus didn’t fully take because I wasn’t human to begin with but he didn’t know that and he still doesn’t. You want the truth?” I asked her and glanced at the others.

I sat up more and explained to her and the rest of the how I came to be. It was nearly a hundred years ago, the magic was nearly perfected now. The supernatural world was nothing new. They didn’t find it strange to meet; the Navajo skinwalker and the American witch. They fell in love and learned their children inherited the best of their worlds. They were powerful magical beings that could also take the shape of many different animals.

A skinwalker would have to use the skin of the animal they desired to come but the new race shifted at will. They were better and stronger than anything either had seen before. The couple struck an idea and the High Witch Coven was formed. Some might know about the coven and its powerful witches but only those inside new just how far the power could run.

We weren’t publicized or rumored like the werewolves and the witches, we were a secret society. “I’m a risk being away from them but perhaps my parents trust I wouldn’t betray their secrets. If any of the Elders found out I told someone I’d be dead. I’m a skinwalker witch that got too close to a vampire and now I can do some stuff they do but I don’t feed off blood.” I met Jamie’s eyes. “You’re the first person I’ve ever told.” She meant something to me, the young girl that was too smart and too lost at the same time, and the girl I saw myself in. I wanted her trust, I wanted her to understand.

Her anger faded but confusion was still present when she turned away to the staircase, Mikey followed leaving me alone again with Caleb and Jared who moved closer to me. The intense predator look still laced his eyes as Jared kneeled in front of the sofa. “You smell like us since you shifted.” I didn’t know Jared and that meant I didn’t trust him, I said and did nothing as he moved his face closer to my neck, inhaling my scent.

“Jared, enough.” Caleb demanded.

Jared sat back on the floor. “It’s too bad that vampire got ahold of you.” he whispered as the look in his eyes became something like lust.

It scared me and I looked to Caleb for answers. “Jared, go relax outside.” He said flatly to his wolf. “It seems he likes you now.” he said once we were alone.

I laid my hand over my eyes, the light was still harsh. “I don’t want to be liked.”

He pulled the coffee table closer and sat down. He ran his hand softly down my black and blue arm and explained just how hurt I was. “There’s ugly scratches up and down your back and your sides. Your arms and legs have bruising and swelling.”

I opened my eyes and turned my head toward him. “Everyone saw me naked.”

Caleb smiled, it seemed like that wasn’t what he expected to hear. “Wolves are used to it.”

“Well I’m not.” I wrapped the wool sheet tighter around my chest.

“How long has it been since you’ve taken an animal shape?”

“I ran away from home when I was fifteen, it was months before that. The Coven is a small village with miles and miles of surround forest, no one knows we’re there it’s so empty. I used to like to run there for hours.” The images became crystal clear while I remembered; I could still smell the trees. “It was the only time I has happy there.”

“Is that why you like to stay away from the compound, memories?”

“And angry wolves.” I said joking because I didn’t like how easy it was to be honest and serious with Caleb, it was a complete turn around from just two days ago.

Jamie saved me from thinking of what to say next as she sat in the other sofa. “So what other animals do you turn into?”

“I inherited the wolf and coyote but I knew a girl that liked to go fishing as a bear.” She smiled and I knew she was ok with what I was and our relationship wouldn’t suffer for my silence. Jared stepped back inside and I felt myself blushing, men like him caught me off guard. I was bruised and bloody, what was there to like?

After Michael I swore off all men mostly because I was still in love with him and the heartache was too much on top of all my troubles and lies. The female devil in my head reminded me Jared knew what I was and I wouldn’t have to lie about it.  Plus he was a gorgeous man. I needed to go home and get back to my routine as soon as possible. I swung my feet to the floor.

“What are you doing?” Caleb asked.

“Going to get dressed.” I said as if it was obvious. “Give me some credit I can walk up a few stairs.” I gave him attitude. I wasn’t part of his pack for him to be telling me what to do. He still sent Jamie with me to make sure I didn’t make my wounds worse.