Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Jamie and I walked out side by side and found the rest of the pack scattered around the lawn, Caleb and his brother were nowhere in sight and neither were any of the wolves I saw working with Nick.

“What happened?” Jared asked, bending slightly to look at my arm.

“Gunshot. This week I’ve been stabbed with glass and beaten to a pulp, this completes the cake huh?” I said flatly. The gas I ran on was determination to find Jamie, and now that she was safe I was ready to collapse and sleep for the next week.

“She gets sarcastic when she’s hurt.” Jamie added. “She’ll be cursing soon enough.”

Jared hesitated for a second then said the dreaded truth. “You need to get to a hospital.”

I shook my head; I didn’t like hospitals but then again who did? My dislike started when I was a child and I was forced into a hospital after breaking a bone the village nurse couldn’t treat. “Gunshots are reported back to the police.”

“Jake and Zoe can take care of that and make sure nothing is made of it. You need a doctor and some stitches.” He looked back at my arm and grimaced. “I’ll take you.” he grabbed ahold of my good arm.

“Wait, what about—”

“He left orders not to interfere and Jake will be taking Jamie back home and staying with her.” Jared explained, answering all the questions I had which left me with nothing more to say. With a sigh I followed him back to the car and watched as Jake drove away with Jamie. She had looked more tired than anything else as she knew the nightmare was over. Caleb would make sure no more threats touched his daughter.

I couldn’t stop thinking about Caleb on the way to the hospital. What was happening, would he really kill his own brother? What choice did he have? It was obviously this wasn’t the first time Nick was a problem. I rested my head on the window and listened as it continued to softly rain. Whatever I felt or didn’t feel didn’t matter because the situation was no longer any of my business. Caleb would have to live with his choices. We no longer had to associate.

Jared was good at reading people, he quickly saw the mood I was in and didn’t attempt to make any small talk. The ride was silent and filled with the lingering questions on both our minds; mostly the curiosity of what was happening in that forest surrounding the house. 

The bright hospital was a drastic change from the dark gloomy sky outside. I closed my eyes and took a minute to adjust as Jared explained to the nurse I needed to see a doctor and offered no more information. I wondered what the pack did when they got too hurt; I doubt they went to the hospital. The wolf would take control and the human part of them would be gone, leaving those around them in danger when the pain became too much.

After a few minutes I was taken to a room, Jared stayed with me. I wasn’t sure if it was because he was worried or wanted to make sure I didn’t slip and say the wrong thing. I sat on the bed and swung my feet. “How long do you think this will take?” I asked while we waited for the doctor.

“You lost a lot of blood they might want you to stay overnight.” Jared said, his cell phone started to ring. I questioned if it was about Caleb and hoped some good news would be on the other line.

Knowing I could listen in to both sides of the call Jared stepped outside before answering. “Ass.” I called out to him. I still just wanted to go home; I decided to give the doctor another minute and after that I was leaving. He came in as I got off the bed. Damn it. “Great.” I groaned.

“That’s actually one of the nicer greetings I’ve gotten today. People are grouchy at night.” He explained with a small smile, trying not to let the hard nights bring him down or maybe he had some mental problems.

It was an act he was putting on, I decided. I looked at him and the picture became wide-eyed-clear as all our past memories came crashing back. “No.”

He gripped my shoulders and held me against him before I could reach the door. “Relax Evie.”

“Why is the coven sending you after me?” I whispered, it would be a deadly and stupid mistake to be overheard talking about the coven. I couldn’t look at him anymore since I realized who he was. Many years passed but his face hadn’t changed at all. He was an older version of the kid I used to know.

“They aren’t, I do work here and when I saw your name I took the file.” His hands fell back to his sides.

I stepped back. “Since when has everything changed? They’re letting you work outside of home?”

“Yes, with conditions but yes. A lot has changed since you left, they say we’re evolving. Only those they see fit to trust to keep the secret are allowed to live and work outside of the village.”

“And you of course fit the bill as their poster child. I can’t tell you how many times my parents asked me why I couldn’t be more like you, Kevin.” I sighed and caught a glimpse of my arm. “I need to get out of here.” 

“You can’t.”

I looked at him under my lashes and smiled. “Care to bet on that?”

Kevin smiled and rolled his eyes. “Not legally. Not to be a jerk but you look like death warmed over. Just stay the night and rest. Whoever you’re running from can’t reach you here.”

“I’m not running anymore.” The phrase fit so many subjects about my life right now. “Stitch me up but I make no promises.”

“You never have.” There was a bitter undertone but he left the room before it could be addressed. Kevin McCoy and I had known each other since we were in diapers; our birthdays were only four months apart. Most of my childhood memories involved Kevin in some way or another. The last time we saw each other I told him I planned on running, at first he didn’t believe me and when he started to, he asked me not to go.

Kevin came back and sat on a stool in front of me. “How did this happen?” he unwrapped the mock bandage Jared had made out of a shirt in the back seat of his car.

“I was trying to be helpful. How did you end up here in Celestin?”

“There’s something about this place, it’s beautiful but dangerous. It’s also not too far and I can visit my parents on the weekends.” Kevin explained casually. It didn’t seem like he was lying but I reminded myself it had been years, I didn’t know Kevin anymore or what the coven could come up with.

I agreed about Celestin, I had stayed and when I realized just how dangerous the city could be I was too invested to run away again. I shut my eyes to keep from cursing or pulling away when whatever he put on my arm burned like hell. I opened them when Jared came back. “Anything?” I asked.

The werewolf looked worried. “Not yet.”