Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Mikey and Jared were gone by the time I made it back downstairs. It hurt like hell when I walked but the more I did the faster I got used to the pressure and stinging along my body. I felt Caleb was somewhere near but I didn’t see him. I grabbed my phone off the coffee table and sat on the sofa. I took several deep breaths, nothing was going to make this call any easier.

“Hello?” the deep male voice on the other line answered.

Tears rushed to my eyes. “I need to see you. It’s important and lives are at stake.” I didn’t let any emotion show in my voice as it was easier that way with him.

There was a long pause on the other line before his voice spoke tightly. “Tomorrow  noon, at the meeting grounds.” He hung up.

I blinked and tears rolled down my cheeks. I held the phone tightly as hope faded away, hope he’d be different. “Dad.” I groaned and slammed the phone down beside me. “Are you busy tomorrow at noon?” I asked Caleb, still not seeing him until he stepped out of the hall. “I won’t be here to stay with Jamie.”

“You shouldn’t go back there alone.”

“It’s safer if I do and if they wanted to kill me they would’ve sent someone to do the job by now. I will however be dead meat if I take an outsider with me. You asked me for my help so you have to trust me enough to believe I know what I’m doing.” I was upset, I didn’t have time to try and explain why he should listen to me or get into some argument. I stood from the sofa and something started to become clear. “Whoever paid that warlock to come after you will send someone else.”

“Most likely.” There was probably nothing I could say that Caleb already hadn’t thought of; he never left any stone unturned. If he was worried he didn’t let it show.

“You have an idea or a plan and since I have my ass on the line for you I think you should tell me what it is.” I left the sofa and walked over to him. Was I challenging the Alpha wolf? Maybe.

“Watch it Evangeline.” His mouth was in a thin line, his arms cross over his wide chest. His blue eyes looked on fire as I pushed his buttons.

“Just tell me what I want to know.”

“There’s nothing to tell. Everyone is doing their part trying to find out who would be the most likely threat.”

“It can’t just be anyone or someone even in town. The coven is about five hours away and for the person to know the warlock they’d have to be involved in something heavy. I doubt the person knows what he hired to go after you, probably just figured he was a strong witch. Piss off any witches lately?” Whoever was coming after Caleb wasn’t playing by the rules, they should’ve at least made an offer before striking to get what they wanted. Since they were going to use Jamie as leverage it had to be they wanted something from Caleb and not his dead body.

“I haven’t pissed off anyone lately.”

“I find that hard to believe.” I walked away and sat back on the sofa. My cellphone began to ring and before I looked at the ID I knew it was him. It wasn’t uncommon for Michael to call but lately I knew it wasn’t going to be a pleasant conversation. I chickened out before and I couldn’t do it again. “Hi.”

“Are you busy?”

I knew what he wanted; to continue the conversation I ran out of. “I sort of walked into a wall a few times and I’m in no condition to go anywhere.”

“Why are you doing this for him?” Michael asked, even over the phone I felt the anger in his voice. I could imagine how tight his fists must’ve been.

It was awkward to have Caleb standing right there being able to hear both sides of the conversation and he didn’t seem to be moving. “It’s not about him, it’s about her. Jamie is innocent and she can’t fight this guy and I can. I thought you knew me better than this.”

“I don’t know you at all Evie. The girl I knew was what you wanted me to see, was any of it real?”

I closed my eyes. “You were.” I hung up the phone and again tossed it next to me, the shorts I was wearing didn’t have any pockets. I sat there for a minute collecting my emotions before I stood. “Goodnight.” I left Caleb in the living room and went upstairs to lie down. I certainly wasn’t going to talk to him about the call.

Jamie was still awake when I stepped into her room. “You can’t sleep on the floor,” she said. “you’re hurt.”

“I’m fine.”

“The guestroom is two rooms away, if something happens you’ll be here to save me but I really think nothing is going to happen.”

“I don’t want to chance it.” I had a sleeping bag rolled out along the empty space in front of her bed, out of the way with enough space to walk around.

“Is it because the room is next to my dad’s?”

I tossed my pillow down on the bag and gave her my confused look. “What does that mean?”

“You’re weird around each other.” She said, shrugging.

“It’s the vampire thing.” I laid down with a sigh and I realized painfully I over did it downstairs, everything hurt much worse than before.

Jamie peered over the foot of the bed. “It’s more than that.” she stated. “I think it’s sexual tension.”

I laughed so hard it turned into a coughing fit. “You need to lay off the dramas. I barely know your father. Now get some sleep because I think the lack of it is getting to you.” Jamie didn’t protest, she turned off the light and it was over. I laid in the dark thinking about she said, why she would say it. I didn’t feel much toward Caleb and certainly not any lustful feelings.

I lay there tired and sore but not sleepy, I was wide awake. The thought of seeing my father again after so long was scary. I knew it wouldn’t be easy; he was disappointed over the phone and in person it was going to be much worse. After an hour and getting no closer to sleep I stood from the floor and walked over to the window. My eyes drifted to the lawn where the fight had taken place.

A part of me was relieved this warlock forced me to use my powers and I didn’t have to hide anymore. I missed being able to be myself without fear but I would never miss life at the coven village.

The footsteps creaking up the stairs pulled me away from my river of thoughts. I listened as he walked down the hall to his bedroom. I waited a few minutes before turning away from the window. I looked at Jamie as she slept, she wouldn’t be waking up anytime soon. I moved over to the door and silently opened it.

I felt more comfortable downstairs, feeling something like a watch dog that wanted to be near the front door.