Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“He threw you into the cabinet, it was bound to leave a mark.” Caleb said as he pulled me off the sofa by my forearms and took a better look. “It’s a piece of glass in your back. It’s in deep.”

“Just pull it out.” I replied tightly. The numbness was gone and now that I was aware; it hurt like a bitch. I rested my head on his shoulder as he stood beside me. I couldn’t stand without assistance and now wasn’t the time to be picky.

Without voicing his plan, Caleb led me to the adjoining kitchen bar. I braced myself against the cold marble as he walked away. He came back with bandaging and alcohol, yup this was going to hurt. He walked behind me, his hand slipping to my waist holding me in place. “Are you sure?”

I shrugged. “I don’t see a choice here.” I realized his hand was along bare skin. I had changed into a small top that fell short of my stomach and a pair of running shorts for bed. His hand was very warm and smooth, catching me by surprise. I must be in more pain that I thought.

“Are you always this sarcastic?” the alpha on the hand wanted to be picky.

“Yeah—fuck!” He pulled the large piece of glass from my back and I couldn’t breathe anymore. I rested my head down on the counter as he put a towel to contain the dripping blood.

“Language.” Jamie was back and standing somewhere in front of me.

I was breathing hard and ragged. “I’ve heard you say worse but shhh don’t let your father hear that.”

Caleb chuckled behind me and slowly began to lift the already too small t-shirt. “It’s pretty deep but the blood is slowing down, you won’t need stitches.” I gave him thumbs up and he began to wipe away the dry blood and clean the skin. I didn’t want to talk anymore, this hurt more than I would’ve liked. I could handle pain but that piece of glass was damn evil.

I was holding on to the edge of the marble counter very tight, Jamie noticed and placed her hand over mine. “You kicked ass today. You know you’d be a good show and tell project too.”

I laughed, sort of. “I was trying to keep a low key but it doesn’t matter now.” I risked a lot using my powers tonight. There was no telling who it’d get back to.

“Why did you keep yourself a secret?” the young girl asked.

“I didn’t want to be found. I’m glad I was able to help you and I don’t hate my powers but I hate the life they demand. I’ve been gone for a long time and even if someone found out where I was it shouldn’t matter.” I silently hoped not. I missed my family and always would but I knew how cruel they could be.

“No more questions.” said Caleb as Jamie opened her mouth. He pulled my shirt down and stepped away. “It’s done.”

I started toward the door. “Thanks, I’m going home now.” I wanted to sleep all day, there was no chance in hell I was going to work either. I wasn’t that loyal to the job.

Caleb followed me out to the porch. “You’re barefooted.”

“I live a few houses down, no big deal. You have a big mess in there, I’m sorry. If you wait until later I can fix it for you.”

“You’re going to continue to use your magic?”

“Yeah, why not? The secret is out and after eleven years I forgot how much I loved it. I stayed here after everything with Michael because I didn’t want to run anymore. I don’t want to run from my magic either; it’s a part of me.” I stepped down the steps. “Be careful.”

“We need to talk Evangeline.”

“Later.”

He had questions and I had my own. Most importantly we needed to figure out who sent the warlock and wanted him dead. I stopped just short of my walkway, we? I shrugged it off, I was part of it now, one because the warlock was pissed and there was a good chance he wanted revenge, and two they needed help and I was the best choice.

Caleb was smart but in Celestin witches were rare and certainly none had the great deal of power I had or the warlock. Caleb didn’t know what he was up against and that also put Jamie at risk. I was fond of her, I had to do something and help them.

I stepped inside and made a point of searching the whole two story home before locking up. I was safe. I fell stomach first onto the bed and didn’t move until the sun was high and bright along the bright blue sky.

I washed up and changed into a pair of jeans and a fresh t-shirt. I stood in front of the mirror gripping the sink as I stared into my eyes; they were back to their normal grayish blue color. I thought back to a day in my childhood home, I stood in the mirror a lot like this and made my choice to leave. It wasn’t easy but necessary. The girl staring back at me now wasn’t so different from then, she was still unsure and scared.

I left the bathroom and flicked the light off.

I made sure to call Rosie to cover me for my morning shift. After the favor I did her last night she didn’t mind. After hanging up I sat on the edge of the bed fingering my chain. I wasn’t itching to go back to Caleb’s yet and one thought kept me frozen in my room. There was one thing I could do to help, to get the answers in the matter of minutes but at what cost? I closed my eyes and shook my head.

No. I could do this on my own.

I left the room and walked to Caleb’s. He and Jamie had attempted to clean up their living room. The furniture was upright again. They didn’t notice me standing at the door. I ran my eyes along the room, fixing the mess as they went.

Jamie grinned. “I love having her around.” she ran excitedly up to her room to get dressed.

Caleb came toward me and picked up a piece of paper off the coffee table. “This came for you.” he said apologetically as he handed me the paper.

It wasn’t a piece of paper, it was a photo. Tears stung my eyes before I could register the image. “When?”

“About two hours ago along with the rest of the mail. It looks like someone mixed it in and it’s not a big stretch to guess who. He doesn’t know where you live and he must’ve wanted to send a message.” Caleb spoke about the warlock. “Who’s in the picture?”

I ran my finger tips over the glossy photo. “My parents. I must’ve hurt him more than I thought because he’s made it personal.”