Chapter 23 Fin

Chapter 23

I ran up to my bedroom still in wolf form and hid under the bed while quick heavy steps followed me. “Evangeline.” Caleb stepped inside my horribly messy room with his voice soft yet firm and in control of the situation.

My thoughts lingered on the fact he was seeing my room in such disarray.  I couldn’t figure out why it bothered me that he saw it like that. It was actually because of him it was a mess; I had no time to clean the last few days. I shook my head and rested it on my paws; I was having the stupidest thoughts. I watched Caleb’s dress shoes as he walked around the room and checked the closet looking for me. I didn’t understand why he cared either. He should know I wanted to be alone and understand why. He was after all struggling with his own demons.

He stopped directly in front of the bed and after noticeably inhaling he bent down and found me. I swiped my paw at him but Caleb moved in time. The alpha was getting mad. I didn’t care, I just wanted him gone by any means necessary. Being alpha he knew how to deal with unruly animals and made no moves to leave my room.

“I know what you’re doing.” Caleb said like Mr. Know it all. I covered my eyes and ears with my arms. “You can’t be left alone.” he was saying my thought as it ran through my mind. “You didn’t do anything wrong.”

I growled at him and turned away. I refused to listen to him try and make me do things his way. I wondered how many other wolves he tried to appear compassionate to in order for them to listen, in order for them to allow him to take control.

“Do you want me to call Michael?” I turned around then. “Yes or no?” it sounded like he was mocking me. I was so tempted to attack him. “I can’t understand you. Shift back and tell me or I’ll make the call.” Caleb was blackmailing me into getting his way, now this was rich. He either truly knew what he was doing or he had no fear at the snarling wolf in front of him.

I gave him my back which was a clear form of disrespect, good thing I didn’t belong to his pack, and moved up to the front of the bed. I laid there tired and bleeding, my carpet would never be the same.

Caleb sighed and left the room, finally I was rid of him. I could hear some commotion outside. I wasn’t curious enough to find out what was happening with the warlock’s body to move. I didn’t want to think about him.

I let my eyes drift close only to reopen them just as fast. I hadn’t gotten rid of Caleb after all. He came back in wolf form and laid beside me. It was an odd fit for the large animal and he didn’t seem to mind. I eyeballed him for a moment before relaxing back down onto the floor.

He laid so close I felt his body heat, it was comforting and I believed I could stay in this moment forever and be ok. I didn’t think I’d be ok any other way, the thought of what could happen next scared me. I’d probably have to over analyze the reaction to Caleb later but right now I took what he gave. 

I let out a whine and he moved closed and licked the top of my head. I couldn’t get rid of this need I had to cry. The more I tried to suppress it the worse the feeling got. I ran out from under the bed and dashed into the bathroom, I closed the door behind me with a flick of my head.

I shifted back into my human form just as the bile rose in my stomach. I bent over the toilet and threw up blood and fur and then more blood until even Dominic’s wonderful pasta was gone.  I stood and washed out my mouth a few times over. I looked into the mirror and felt my body swaying. There was more skin purple and green than not. There wasn’t anything I could do about that. I grabbed the towel from its rack and wrapped it around my body.

I stepped out of the door and collapsed right there at the doorway, Caleb caught me before my top half reached the floor. He shifted back and managed to get his pants on and nothing more. I hung onto him like a life line. I rested my cheek against his bare shoulder and the flood gates opened.

I cried and cried unable to make it stop. He carefully ran his hand over my wounded back and my hair. After what seemed like an hour, maybe more, I calmed down and relaxed still with his arms around me. The clouds began to clear and what was happening reached my brain. It was too dangerous to lean on Caleb.

I moved and sat in front of him. “What happened outside with….” My voice was horse from all the ugly hiccup crying.

“It’s taken care of.” Those four words said it all and the way he said it left me with no desire to ask for the details.

“They fooled us, he wasn’t dead but he sure is now.” I chuckled weakly and ran both my hands over my face.

“He came after you, it was self defense.”

I met his dark blue eyes. “I know that and I’ll admit it’s bothering me but most of the way I feel is more for selfish reasons.” I leaned my back against the wall of the hallway and sighed. The day had been going pretty well and now I didn’t think it’d ever be well again, at least never the same.

Caleb’s face took on a puzzled expression. “How so?” he reached out and brushed the hair out of my eyes.

The gesture reminded me of his earlier ones. “You licked me.”

Caleb chuckled and shrugged. “It worked; you’re talking to me now and on two legs.” He seemed to be overly proud and some of it felt like an act, he was joking around and from what I knew that was rare.

I shook my head. “I just had to really throw up.” I couldn’t admit to Caleb Nikolas he helped me a lot and the fact I wasn’t sure about much except our relationship would never be the same. I just wasn’t sure if that was a good or bad thing.

“You’re dodging the question, how is it selfish?”

I looked down at my hands and knew once I voiced the fears there was no turning back, I couldn’t live in ignorance. “They can’t forget this. The coven will know it was me when he doesn’t come home. They knew what was happening but since I don’t belong to them anymore they couldn’t intervene. But he belonged to them and now they’ll seek justice and if not the Elders then his family. I was stupid to think I could really escape it all.” I felt tears welling back up in my eyes and I didn’t let them fall free anymore. Crying wasn’t going to help me by any means.

My life would never be the same. I couldn’t turn back and hide from my true self or the world I came from. There was no more running, I was free and I planned to keep it that way no matter what came next and there was no doubt it was coming.

###

Book 2 titled Anticipations is available here at wattpad and other major e-book formats. Check out my website isabellearocho.com for more details.