How it Began- Chapter 1

Chapter 1

How it Began

            Aris Donavon ran as fast as she could for the platform 9 ¾. The train would be leaving any minute. If she missed this train she knew her parents would not take her to Hogwarts. They hated the place. They would be only too happy if she never returned to Hogwarts.

            Aris burst through the wall that separated her from the muggle train station. To her relief the train was still there. She quickly handed her baggage and owl over to the baggage clerk and started running, ticket in hand for the stairs up to the train. She thought she heard someone calling her from a window so she looked up. It was the worst thing she could have done.

            Whooosh! She felt like she'd hit a brick wall. The breath was knocked out of her and she fell backward nearly hitting the ground and losing her ticket.

            “I'm ….. sorry,” she gasped out, doubled over in pain and trying to catch her breath. And then she heard a voice she both feared and hated.

            “Why don't you watch where you’re going, you filthy bloodtraitor,” he sneered. It was Draco Malfoy, and the look on his face when he looked down at Aris was one you might give a nasty insect.

            “Now, now Draco. Mind your manners,” an elegant female voice chided. It was Draco's mother. She was a very beautiful lady and her son obviously favored her.”Are you okay young lady,” she asked, placing a gloved hand on Aris's arm.

            Pride took over in Aris and she sucked up the hurt and stood up straight and tall,”Yes, thank you Mame,”and then she turned to Draco and looked at him,”Malfoy,” she nodded as if they had never bumped into each other and then walked proudly by him, seeing his sneer and dagger looks.

            It wasn't until she handed her ticket over and boarded the train that she let the tears of pain and embarrassment fill her eyes. She tried to avoid everyone and make her way to the girls’ restroom but it just wasn't meant to be.

            Draco had been telling his mother goodbye. He was just getting ready to board the train when the stupid Gryffindor, Aris Donavon ran into him like a battering ram. What in the world was the stupid muggle-lover doing slamming into him like that. And then his mother was asking after her. His mom had no business lowering herself to talk to the muggle-loving bloodtraitor.

            “Who was that young lady Draco?” his mother asked.

            “Just a muggle-loving Gryffindor named Aris Donavon,” he spat.

            “Donavon you say. I believe I knew her parents. She does favor her mother, but she has her father’s eyes,” his mom said thoughtfully.

            “Well who cares mum, she's still a filthy Gryffindor,”he sneered.

            Aris was quickly heading for the girls restroom at the other end of the train when a sliding door opened and someone stepped right out in front of her. She looked with shock right into the face of Harry Potter and of all things she had tears running down her cheeks.

            “Aris, are you okay,” Harry asked concerned. 

            “Oh yeah Harry, thanks for asking, “his concern for her made the tears come a little more. She had been dealing with her cruel, uncaring parents all summer long and then the Prince snake of Slytherin's cruel attitude so she was a little touchy.

            “Well you don't seem okay. How about we find your friend Lanie? I believe I saw her right down from our car. Come on,” and Harry took her hand, leading her down the corridor.

            She was receiving all kinds of stares and looks from her fellow students. After all, her hand was being held by Harry.

            “Here we are,” Harry opened the door for her and there sat Lanie, her blue eyed, blond haired Ravenclaw best friend and Eric,dark haired, dark eyed Gryffindor, her friend that wanted to be more than friends.

            “Look who I found for you Lanie. I know you were asking about her,” Harry said and then he stuck out his hand, joking, “That will be 100 galleons,” he said in a serious tone and then broke into a grin, “kidding, I’ll see you guys at the sorting and feast.”

            “Thanks Harry,” Lanie beamed.

            “My pleasure,” he smiled but he was looking at Aris.

            Lanie pulled Aris down into the seat beside her, still holding her hand, “you okay. I can tell somethings wrong, what happened.”

            “It's nothing really. I had the usual awful summer break with my parents. I was about to miss the train and like an idiot I was running, not looking where I was going and slammed into Malfoy, the stupid git. I don't know which hurt worse, my slamming into him or the humiliation.”

            “It'll be okay. You know Malfoy's an ass,” Lanie replied. “I was beginning to worry about you. I thought your parents may have finally succeeded this time in keeping you from Hogwarts.”

            “It wasn't easy getting away this time,” Aris said, “if it hadn't been for that muggle money you you gave me and directions on how to acquire a cab to the station I wouldn't be here. Thanks Lanie,” and she gave her friend a big hug.

            Aris looked over to Eric, who sat quietly studying them both.

            “How did your summer go Eric,” Aris asked him sweetly.

            “It might have been great if I hadn't had to work with my muggle father, you don't know how hard it was to not use magic,” he moaned.

            “Poor Eric,” Lanie laughed, and Eric threw her a look, “it'll be okay now we are going back to Hogwarts, and we'll be able to go to Hogsmeade on weekends, it will be great. After all, we are six years.”

            They all three talked about their summers and what classes they were going to take at Hogwarts. Before they knew it the train had arrived.