Gone Too Far- Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Gone Too Far

            The pranks going on between Aris and Malfoy were getting out of hand, or so it seemed to her. She was getting tired of it and was about ready to throw in the towel. She'd had her hair turned every color imaginable and Prof McGonnagel was getting tired of fixing it. She was also tired of Aris not telling her what was going on. And now others from all 4 houses were getting involved and pranking one another, someone was going to get hurt. She'd had so many things done to her that she was now on constant guard and had started toting her wand out everywhere. Her grades were suffering from all the pranks on her plus the ones she'd done. She was tired of being afraid of every corridor or corner she turned to walk down. And though she had done her fair share of pranking Malfoy, it didn't seem to faze him. The prof's had even called a meeting of all six years to try to get to the bottom of the problem but no one said anything.

            Aris made her way down to the Quidditch pitch for practice along with Lanie and Eric, she had decided to go out for chaser and had gotten a position. Eric and Lanie were there to watch and to escort her down there because of safety in numbers. When they got there they noticed the Slytherin team was still out on the pitch practicing and Malfoy was working out with them even though he was no longer on the team. She didn't know why but he had decided not to play quidditch this year.

            She couldn't help watching him as he flew around the pitch. She had to admit he looked really good, he had grown a lot from last year and you couldn't really call him a boy, he looked a lot older and he had definitely gotten better looking. He was an excellent flyer and it was a shame he wouldn't be playing. He flew past Aris and did a 180 turn when he saw her, and he came to hover over her.

            “Try not to fall off your broom Donavon,” Malfoy teased.

            Aris didn't even look up at him, “Yeah, whatever,” she said, throwing her hand up, ignoring him, “I'll see you guys in a bit,” she told Lanie and Eric, and she headed over to where Harry was calling a team meeting.

            Practice was going good. Aris was doing a great job, but then she noticed Malfoy and some of his friends were still at the pitch watching their practice.

Draco's pov

            Draco had decided to stay and watch the Gryffindor practice. He mainly wanted to see how Aris Donavon played. He had to admit she was good, very quick and graceful in the air, almost like a dancer when she maneuvered around the field. She would be tough competition for the Slytherin team.

            He thought about his mum's owl last night and wondered how Aris had ended up a Gryffindor. In the owl his mum had explained how both her parents had been Slytherin. How could two Slytherins have a Gryffindor child? His mum had also told him how her father was once a deatheater, and was possibly still working for the dark lord. Well, he had a lot of questions about Aris Donavon that he would love to have answered.

            “Well I think I'm going to head back to the common,” he told Blaise, Crabbe, and Goyle, standing and stretching.

            “Man you can't leave yet Draco or you’re going to miss the show,” Crabbe laughed.

            “What are you blabbering about,” Draco sneered, “I'm tired and want a shower.”

            “Suit yourself,” Blaise said, “but you’re really going to like this.”

            Draco didn't like the sound of this but he sat back down on the bench at the corner of the pitch. He watched the practice a little longer, his eyes immediately finding Aris, and then he noticed her broom was acting funny, and then it was out of control, zipping one way and then the next. He then realized one of his friends had hexed her broom. He knew he had done some nasty things to her but he hadn't wanted to see her hurt. He watched as she fought to control the broom, he also noticed that none of her team mates seemed to be aware of the problem. Suddenly the broom shot straight up into the air, to the point that Draco could hardly see it in the dusky dark and then it was coming down fast like a bullet. Draco didn't think but grabbed his broom.

            “I told you you'd like it,” Crabbe laughed. Draco knew what he had to do; he quickly jumped on his broom because he had only seconds, “where are you going,” Crabbe shouted. “You are a dumb ass Crabbe,” Draco shouted at him as he took off.

            He shot through the air and headed sideways right at Aris. He knew he had to grab her just right. She was about 40 feet from the ground when he swooped in grabbing her around the waist; her broom kept going, crashing and splintering into the ground.

            “I've got you, but you've got to hold on tight,” he shouted to her, as she wrapped her arms around his chest, her legs were still dangling below his broom. He slowed down his broom and took his time landing, he was enjoying having Donavon wrapped around him and there was that wonderful smell again, like roses. Even after a sweaty quidditch practice she still had a beautiful scent. But then, just as they were about to land someone shouted, “Lookout!” but it was too late.

            Terrible pain hit them both as a bludger caught them both in the side since Aris was still clinging to Draco. They both went tumbling backwards about 20 feet down, landing in a heap, Draco partially on top of Aris. She was moaning in pain and the look in her eyes looking at him made him feel really bad.

            “Why did you have to do that,” she asked him, clearly thinking he was responsible, “do you hate me that much,” she asked tears filling her eyes. He could handle most anything but tears was not one of them. “It wasn't me,” he said roughly trying to stand; he knew he probably had a few cracked ribs; he was only able to rollover on the ground beside her. He could hear her sobbing quietly beside him and realized she was probably in as much pain, if not more, than he was. “Please, let's put a stop to this,” she whispered, pleading, “I'm tired, so tired....” and then she stopped talking.

            Draco rolled over to face her, “Donavon” he said but there was no response. He brought his hand up to her face, “Donavon,” he said again, this time with force, turning her face to him. She had passed out. As far as he could tell she was still breathing.

            By this time everyone was running over towards them, including Prof. McGonnagel and Prof. Snape. “The pranks between these houses have gone on long enough,” Prof. McGonnagel said angrily, “there will be punishment for this.” And they were both carted off to the hospital wing.