The War is On, So to Speak- Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The War is On, So to Speak

            Well detention wasn't so bad Aris decided, that is if you enjoyed scrubbing floors with a toothbrush. Snape finally let her go at around 9:30, so Aris headed for the Gryffindor common room. She took her wand out and had it ready to use just in case Malfoy decided to jump her. She thought she heard someone and just as she turned the corner there they were. Aris couldn't help it, she had been terrorized by Malfoy so she was so jumpy she shot a spell without seeing who it was. The spell sent whoever it was flying back into the wall, their wand flying out of their hands. Aris quickly lit the tip of her wand and found poor Harry shaking his head and trying to get up.

            “Harry,” Aris gasped, “I'm so sorry,” she quickly bent down to help him up, “did I hurt you?”

            “I think I'll be fine,” and he stood up with Aris's help, “what's got you so jittery.” And then he noticed her hair, “merlin's beard, what happened to your hair, it's Slytherin puke green.”

            Aris could feel color rising in her cheeks. She was already humiliated because she let Malfoy get the better of her and now she was embarrassed that Harry saw it. She didn't want to tell him about what happened with Malfoy.

            “It was an accident in potions,” Aris lied, hating to tell Harry that.

            “Are you for real? I always thought you were pretty good in potions.”

            “Some of it splashed up into my hair and there you go, it turned green,” Aris said her face still flushed.

            “You sure Malfoy didn't have anything to do with it,” Harry asked hitting the nail on the head, and looking closely at her, making her very uncomfortable, “I've seen the way he's been watching you, and I know he's been giving you a hard time. I also know how you confronted him and got detention from Snape.”

            Aris blushed even more, “Look I can handle Malfoy, alright,” she said getting angry.

            “Sorry,” Harry apoligized, smiling, “I didn't mean to get you all riled up. I just wanted you to know if you need any help with him I'm there okay.”

            “Okay,” Aris replied, glad he was dropping it about her hair.

            “Come on,” Harry said grabbing her hand, that was the second time Harry had done so, “let's walk back to the common room together, it's safer that way.”

            Aris was relieved that Harry was walking with her; she was less likely to run into Malfoy. She and Harry talked about their classes and the coming Quiditch try outs. Harry tried to talk her into trying out for a chaser spot and she knew she was good, she just didn't know if she really wanted to.

            Once they were back at their house, some of the others were still up in the common room, including Eric. When they saw her hair there were collective gasps of shock. “What in the world happen to your hair,” Eric demanded, “did Snape do that to you as punishment.”

            “No he did not, I had and accident with some potions,” she repeated the same story she told Harry.

            “I'm not buying it Aris,” Eric said

            “Well, buy it or not, it's no big deal,” Aris huffed.

            “No big deal,” Ron piped in, “you look like you’re headed to a quiditch match to support the enemy.”

            “Sorry Ron, I'm about to go try and fix it. Hermoine could you please come with me,” Aris asked, and she and Hermione headed for the girls dorm. Hermione tried everything she could to get the color out of Aris's hair but nothing worked.

            “I'm sorry Aris but I can't get it, you may have to go to Prof. McGonnagel about it.”

            “Thanks anyway Hermione,” Aris said sighing. She guessed she was just going to have to wear it like that for now. What kind of spell had Malfoy used on her hair that even Hermione couldn't get it out.

            The next day was tough having to face Malfoy and his cronies. As soon as she walked into her first class, Advanced Potions, they all were laughing and pointing. Aris ignored them. She sat down at the table she shared with Lanie, Eric and a Hufflepuff named Artie. Harry sat at the table right next to hers. He leaned over to her, “I thought you said Malfoy had nothing to do with your hair,” Harry whispered.

            “Not now Harry,” Aris whispered back.

            Lanie walked in after that, “My gosh, what happened to you,” she nearly shouted. The laughter coming from Malfoys table increased. Aris yanked Lanie by the hand to sit by her, “keep it down, I don't want to call any more attention to it.”

            Prof. Slughorn walked in just then and started looking over everyones homework. As he looked over their table he looked up at Aris, “Nice hair, Miss Donavon, I'm an old Slytherin man myself.”

            “I’m a Gryffindor, sir,” Aris said, shooting dagger looks at Malfoy who was almost rolling in the floor with silent laughter.

            “Right, right, Donavon, so sorry,” he looked at her as if she'd lost it.

            That was it. If Draco Malfoy wanted a war that was what he was going to get. She patiently waited until the perfect opportunity, she noticed Malfoy get up to get something off the shelf. Just as he was about to sit Aris used her wand to slowly slide his chair out with a levitation spell. Just as he sat back there was nothing there and he hit the floor. The laughter from everyone around sounded so good to Aris it was a small bit of gratification. When she looked over at Malfoy the look he was giving her made her somewhat regret her actions, because it seemed to promise that she was going to pay. Well, she wouldn't worry about that right now, she would be on the lookout for Malfoy.