Chapter 14

Dominic scowled as he sat on the couch. "Bring my papers," He snapped towards his steward, the child instantly nodded and bringing his masters papers handed him a pen.

The study was quiet, the wind hissing. Straitening his uniform Joseph looked around the room. There was no other smells something to comfort him the room just felt simply cold. His stomach grumbled and glancing at the lord he bent his head down.

His brown hair flicked in the wind, he had noticed the lord loved the wind everywhere there was some sort of wind. The day the carriage window, glass which Joseph had never seen. Each house he had visited he had somewhat had to be near wind, see wind when he looked out the window or he had to take tea outside.

But Joseph was cold. He hadn't seen his love in three whole days since he had got his job. One day for an introduction, one for training and today. Joseph was so tired, his first day with his new master, and he learnt so much and saw so many differences.  His clothes thick but not as thick as the furs now in closing the lord, but still better than everything he wanted.

It had been exhausting for Joseph, Dominic never spoke to him unless he wanted something or was barking an order. But Joseph too afraid to confront him and he certainly was not going to complain. The job offered him food, shelter and clothes courtesy of the lord and not many employers would do that.

When Joseph and many other young boys of the village heard about the new job, there had been a queue as long as roads in hope of being Lord Defleur new steward but now he had got the job. He wasn't happy but his family needed it no matter if he worked for the coldest bastard born.

"I-I" The steward glanced at his master seeing the scowl still on his face kept quiet and offered him the plate of food.

Dominic took it, biting into the warmth of the bread. He sighed and glancing at the sleepy looking teen. Irritated he had caused the overworked look. He turned away from the worrying brown eyes. Turning back, Dominic faced Joseph. He had a string ribbon on his finger. He was engaged!

The warm brown eyes that had almost skipped into his room this morning were now exhausted with bags, clenching the string the boys hand was almost throbbing because he had tightened it so hard. Dominic needed to get his mind off it.

"How old are you?"

"Sixteen master," He whispered. Dominic nodded slowly. He was younger than me, he thought. Dominic had to look up the kind voice and as he yawned again Dominic turned away.

"You can go." Dominic paused to cross out a mistake on his sheet, before speaking again. "Return to work tomorrow I don't need your services tonight,”

"Thank you si-"

Dominic threw a sheet in frustration. His head throbbing, he wished for some port, sleep, his room maybe. Anything to get away from this sheer uselessness that he felt at the moment.