Chapter Three

Chapter Three

"What, Ann? I'm not doing that! No way," I shrieked, putting my cell phone on speaker and placing it on the dashboard of my car. 

"Common! It'll be like the first step of creating a new image! Nobody will see you as the nerdy goodie good anymore," Ann pointed out. She had a point, but I am not crashing into a party, one that will be full of drunken perverts. 

"Ann, nobody even knows who I am! Jace thought I was new," I protested. I could feel her smirking on the other side of the phone. 

"That's better than him knowing who you really are," she said. 

"Ouch," I muttered. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I meant it'll just be easier, you know?" she informed me. 

"I guess. But you can't get me to go to that party." 

"I'll do your homework for a week," she bargained.

"Did you forget already? I like doing homework."

"Weirdo," I heard her whisper. Ignoring her comment I waited until she spoke again. I drove in silence for about five minutes, I was starting to question if she hung up on me, I was tempted to turn on the radio when I heard her voice again. 

"I'll give you a hundred dollars." 

"Really?" I asked, surprised. 

"I'm serious, Kasey. Take it or leave it. The moneys yours if you just come with me." 

I pulled the car over and stopped driving. I was in too much of a shock to drive, I'd end up crashing if I didn't take a break. I closed my eyes. Wow, that was a good deal. One hundred dollars just to go to a party? My mother never asked me when I'd be back, so if I were gone until midnight, she couldn't get me in trouble. She may never let me out that easily again, but it would be worth it. A kick to a new start and one hundred dollars? Sounds like a deal to me. 

"Fine. Where do we meet?" 

I heard her squeal excitedly, and then a small crash before she replied, giggling.

"Dropped the phone. Hmm... How about at the Timmis near the strip mall downtown? I can walk there and then you can drive us to the party."

"Yeah sure, see you there." I hung up the phone and then drove the rest of the way to the Tim Hortons. I waited only a few minutes before I saw Ann hopping her way over to my car, waving like a lunatic. 

"This is going to be so exciting!" she squealed, clapping her hands together and sitting herself in the passenger seat. A smile crept onto my face and I felt the good kind of butterflies forming in my stomach.

"Agreed. So where to?" I listened to her directions and typed them into maps on my iPhone. And on our way we went, to the first high school party any one of us have ever gone too. I felt a wave of rebellion rush through my body. I was actually going to break into a party, me, Kasey Hawkins. I wasn't the type of person to do this, never in a million years did I ever think I'd do this. But here I am, on the way to do just that. What would my mother do if she found out? You'll never know, because she will never find out, Kasey. 

~0~0~ 

Once we arrived at the party, my hands became clammy, my body starting to shake slightly.

"Ann... I think this is a bad idea, let's just... Go back, please?" I said nervously, feeling queasy. 

My best friend gave me the most shocked face I've ever seen on a human, seriously. I swear she looked like a tarsier. I've only ever seen them in pictures, but they look like a gremlin from that movie, only with way larger eyes.