••• Eighteen •••

April disappears quickly, the days turning warmer and the sun out longer. Spring is going full force as the trees are green and the flowers everywhere. As for this day, I'm at home, thinking of how to see Nixon again.

We both agreed that we would have to be more secretive, for my parents were always cocking an eyebrow when I told them where so was or was going. From fake tutoring sessions to going to a fake game of a fake friend, I've told too many lies to count as the nights pass bye and I spend hours in his arms, from chatting to partaking in the lust that engulfs us.

Last weekend I was at the pack house again, meeting some new, as they call them, 'pups' that have been born since December. As Luna, a role that I might add I have no clue what I'm doing, I was supposed to be there and meet the new children. I learned that Nixon, even as Alpha, is hardly at the pack house, always at his office where other pack members work when forming treaties and looking over pack informations.

In the time I spend at his office, I've learned the pack is one of power and also one with a great past, many of the women of the pack married into the royal family in the past.

Today I spend my time staring up at the ceiling as my parents are here. I had made plans with Nixon for today; however, my parents wanting me to be here today, I couldn't risk it.

I know they think something is up, that their trust that I hoped to build back up is still in the slow process right now. It doesn't help that Taylor is siding with them, that she sees me as a sister who despises her party habits but sleeps with a man older than her.

I know I'm to blame for my sister's relationship with me being a thin line of hate and love, but I thought when I cared for her after she was raped that it was enough to prove that I loved her. But she's right, I was MIA for almost half the time, always with Nixon Maxwell as she began falling apart.

I don't know who let it out that Taylor was raped. I have no clue who showed my parents a picture of the night Nixon took me from the police station. All I know is that this person is my enemy.
But where do I start?

Where to I trace back to find out who knew all of this and wanted Nixon's relationship with me to suffer.

I could say the man with the tattoos, but he was warning me about Nixon, not showing any signs that he wanted me in trouble. Yet he could be acting just like what every human is capable of.

Grabbing my phone, I scroll through Emily's feed, yesterday being when she left with her parents for New York to see her Aunt.

I groan, rolling onto my stomach as someone knocks at my door. "Lily?"

"Unlocked," I reply to my dad, watching as the door opens and my father steps in, his arms crossed.

"I see a few ways around this problem. Lily, I know you barely spend time with us anymore because of that....bastard," he begins as I bite my tongue, wanting to tell him to leave and never speak of Nixon that way again. Sometimes I wonder why Nixon sticks around, why he goes after a girl that is still under her parent's roof. "But I see that you can either go about sulking or come and try to act like the daughter I raised. Hell! Lily, I know you see him, I have no doubt you've seen him since."

My face grows pale as my father deeply sighs. "Just...Lily, if your mother finds out you still see him, I won't stop her from calling the police. I'm keeping my mouth shut for now because I don't want to destroy whatever relationship we still have left, just know, that is your mom figures out, I won't keep my mouth shut."

He's gone.

An hour passes bye and I hear them laughing downstairs. I lock my phone, deciding I've had enough as the sun sets. Hopping off the bed, I pull on some tennis shoes and a jogging shirt, grabbing my iPod I plug in my headphones and leave the house, telling them I'll be back.

They know when I go to run, I go to run, nothing else. I find jogging to be my charging period, when I relax and block out the world.

I stretch by my car first, and then, once my playlist is on shuffle, I begin my usual four mile run/jog.

Dogs bark.

An ambulance passes bye.

I turn another block.

Someone honks at me.

My breathing begins to get heavier, my legs burning as I push harder.

I've done three miles by now, the sun gone as the neighborhood is still awake on the Saturday night.

Turning the corner, I hear someone honk at me. Usually I'd ignore them, but once the person pulls up, my head snaps towards them.

A sleek black car.

I have no doubt who it is.

The window rolls down and I walk towards the street, leaning through the window a bit to talk with him.

Only, I'm shocked when I don't meet those midnight blue eyes, but rather the pair of a man I've wondered about since that night I was at jail.

Dark brown eyes with the familiar ink peeking through. He's different today, his hair pushed back, his attire a bit more formal in slacks and a black button-up. I arch my growl at him, wondering why he wants to speak with me.

"I've got to say, Lily, I'm rather disappointed in you."

"What do you want?" I snap, watching as he smiles at me, one that makes me feel sick, one that warns me away.
But he has answers I've been needing for months.

"My dear Luna, I thought you would be states away by now, but no, you're still here, and you're still seeing Maxwell."
I bite my tongue as he puts his car in park. "I thought I had a little detective on my hands."

"Why are you so interested in helping me uncover some story?"

He frowns.

"It's not just a story, Lily."

I knit my eyebrows together as he motions for me to hop in. I trust him.
Hopping in, he puts the car in drive, speeding off to God knows where. "Why do you want me to uncover things about Nixon?"

"Have you ever seen his office?" He asks.

"Yes I have," I reply, thinking what a stupid question.

He turns to look at me, his gaze harsh. "I wasn't talking about the place where he bends you over his desk for a quick fuck."

My hands turn to fists as I bite my tongue.

"I'm referring to the one in his house."
I shake my head sideways. He smiles at me, one that tells me I shouldn't have hopped into this car. "I do say, Lily, maybe once you have a look in there, then you may be more open to the idea of leaving this town."

"Nixon couldn't possibly have something like that in there," I object, crossing my arms as they man tilts his head to the side.

"I'll give you a hint, Lily, look inside that box of his."

We both know exactly what box that is. The box Nixon keeps at his office in the building.

Suddenly, I see my house appear, the man stopping the car two houses from mine. "That's my hint, Lily, and once you've gotten some answers, I only pray the Moon Goddess has something good for you."

I hop out of the car, frowning at the nameless man. "Who are you to Nixon?" I ask, watching as he lights a cigarette, taking a swing at it.

"Gavin, Luna, and I'm no one to your precious little Alpha."

He's gone, just like that, speeding away as he doesn't stop at the sign, rather just driving away, getting far away from me quickly.

With all of what I've been told, I have no doubt there's something about Nixon I need to uncover, but still, I don't want to leave Nixon, I don't want a world without him.

Without a man that's a perfect addiction that I'll never get enough of. But sometimes, enough is an overdose.

<><>