••• FOURTY-TWO •••

"Thank you for having me," he greets, entering the domain I rule, his presence reminding me of the man I fell in love with. He's tall just like Nixon, broad shoulders, strong build, mysterious eyes, sharp features, and a presence that demands respect and submission from every person who looks or even hears of him. If I was the same girl that Terrance told me he fell for, I would be cowering under this male's gaze, stuttering with every work I would speak, afraid to even look at him. Thankfully for me, I got used to men like this man, hell, I even married and loved a man like this, a man who I would even stand up to. Nixon made me from a shy and cowering individual to someone who oozes confidence and is not afraid to speak their mind and put their needs as a priority rather than allow people to walk all over them. Nixon allowed me to become strong, even though the journey to the woman I am today would be one no one would wish to experience.

"I hope you do not mind if we sit in the kitchen," I inform, guiding Laraxis into the home my past lover built for me, creating a haven for my years to come. "I made a cup of coffee as promised."

"Beautiful place here, fitting for Crimson Lock's Alpha to have a massive house that acts like a fortress," Laraxis comments, entering the kitchen with me as we both know why I picked the kitchen, the room with open windows, where my warriors can see straight into if there is an emergency or have to shoot this male down. Laraxis and I do not trust one another yet, but soon, he will be in the palm of my hand, the words I whisper in his ear effecting his every action. "Elijah said you are due soon."

"Just a couple of weeks away," I respond, thinking of how my daughter will soon be in the room her father took so much pride into creating for her. "But let us skip the small talk and discuss what is about to happen." Laraxis nods, agreeing with me as we are both people of business, not long-time friends who need to catch up. "With a handful of days you will ascend to the throne and wear the crown that has a diamond for every life Zion has ruined."

"I know Zion had shady business, my father was a Senate member for many years, watching him grow up. I know Zion is not the best role model when looking at how to run a kingdom."

"And you understand that being a new ruler, you have new things to learn?" I clarify, Laraxis nodding as his jet black hair reminds me of Nixon's eyes when his wolf was surfacing. I see so much of my deceased husband in him, in his mannerisms, in the way he holds himself, but I will not treat this male as I would my deceased husband. I know nothing of this male truly, expect that he is a young male to rise to power and it is easy to influence someone in his position. "I did not schedule a meeting with you because I want to make an alliance between a kingdom and a rogue pack, but because I want to make a deal."

"And what kind of deal are you wishing to make?" Laraxis asks, meeting my gaze as a smirk tugs a my lips.

"You are taking the throne because you want power, because you want to wear a crown and feel the power of control running through your veins. Stop me if I am wrong. You want control, a type of control only available to someone who sits on a throne."

"You know me well," Laraxis responds.

"Then you also know, because I bet you've done your research, that the role of King has a limitation to power, how there is a Head Priestess that acts like a Supreme Court, how the Senate can limit what you can do, how they can restrict certain laws from going in place, and that many of these Senate members are just like this Head Priestess for the Moon Goddess: these people are living in age-old traditions and are unfavorable of fresh blood taking the throne because that means a new way of thinking for how you wish to run the kingdom."

"I am aware that these people restrict much of the power. My main power comes from being able to declare war and sign treaties rather than make rules and taxes."