••• Thirty-One •••

Children run through the living room, pushing past fellow pack members as they jump over other children or over the couches. They dodge the adults in the room, laughing as they play a game, the smiles upon their faces are pure. I dodge one of the small boys who runs, quick to get out of the way as the woman showing me around the pack house discusses with me about the territory of Crimson Lock.

"Many of the parents here are warriors or work downtown at Nixon's office," Cecil informs, a girl a little younger than me entering the room, calling after a few of the kids. I recognize her for sure, one of Taylor's pals from school, a golden blond with blue eyes. She's a gossiper, someone known for her looks and backstabbing at the school. No doubt she will talk about me at my old high school, telling them about the so-called slut who married Nixon Maxwell. "A few of the teenagers in the pack help take care of them after school and on the weekends if needed. This is Ivy," Cecil explains, introducing me to a girl I know already does not like me.

"Hi, I'm Lily," I introduce myself, offering her a warm smile as she picks up one of the running children, carrying him on her back now as she slightly glares at me.

"You don't want to be called Mrs. Maxwell or Luna Lily?" She asks, tone holding a sharp aspect that goes unnoticed by Cecil. I already know most of the teenagers in this pack will not like me, but for their parents and the people that protect the pack, I have earned their loyal respect.

"Lily is fine. I'm not big on formality," I respond, Ivy nodding as she takes the small boy out of the room with her, the other children following behind, leaving Cecil and I back to our conversation before. Cecil is kind, the wife of the pack doctor, already liking me as I can tell by the way her smiles are genuine and she introduces me to pack members like an old friend.

"Let me show you where the Lunas do their work. We have an office for you," she informs, motioning for me to follow as we leave the room and head down a new hallway.

"What work usually takes place in the Luna's office?" I ask, looking around the hallway. The dark blue walls paired with the mahogany floors, and the wooden doors lining the hall.

Cecil stops before a larger door than the rest, smiling to me as she pushes it open to reveal a beautiful modern office. Stepping in, a smile stretches across my face, taking in the lavender walls, mahogany floors, modern and large windows on either side of a white marble fireplace. A white, modern desk is placed before a set of white bookshelves, a leather chair fit in some CEO's office placed there, a modern chandelier hanging from the high ceiling, and a small lounge area of white couches with floral pillows.

"Every Luna gets to decorate the office as their own, so if you wish to change the look, you may," Cecil informs as my smile becomes smaller. This is how Lillian decorated her office. I'll hand it to her, she had good taste.

"You know what, I'll keep the look," I reply, looking around as I appreciate how the late Luna decorated the office.

Cecil nods. "Your work usually includes planning pack gatherings or-

"Any pack business that Nixon might do? Territory stuff or treaties?" I ask, hating that I just interrupted Cecil. She's tense when I use Nixon's name, not because I did not say Alpha, but because of what he has done that causes these people to tense. "It's just that gatherings to plan sounds like I don't deserve an office."

Cecil offers me a gentle smile, one that lets me know I will not like what she is going to say. "Traditions, Luna Lily," she begins, "Lunas are for planning social events more than helping do treaties. You involvement with treaties will really only be when Alpha Nixon invites the other Alphas over for the signing and you greet them."

I would like to change that tradition. I take it Alpha Penelope faced much scrutiny as a female Alpha. I take it any female Alpha has faced those haters who try and pin her to a role she was not meant for. "The pack is very nice here," I comment, changing the subject as Cecil nods.