••• Fourty-Five •••

"Just shut up! Shut the fuck up and let me explain," I snap at the other end of the call, Elijah falling silent as I find myself frantically searching through my dresser as I look for where I put the object I've become dressed about losing. "I am heading out, I swear I will be there shortly." Running a hand through my hair, I look to the wedding photo on Nixon's nightstand, the picture framed in a lilac frame as it brings back memories of that night, the night he set his wedding ring down right before that picture as he told me he would be home before I knew it. "Telling a mother that a plane will be leaving within four hours I have to be on is too short a time, Elijah. Do you not see how fast this is all going? Hell, the sitter for my daughter is not even here yet. How do you even know the witches will be waiting for us at a select time?" Just as my hands rummage through his old sock drawer, I find the small pouch I placed in here five months ago. People had told me to slowly remove things of Nixon from the house, to box up his old suits and shirts and donate them. I did that to half his closet, keeping the ones I enjoyed the most, the ones which reminded me of dates or specific evenings he would come home with a smile on his face to see me. Picking up the pouch, I take out his wedding ring, once safely stored away is now back out as I place a silver chain through it, the ring hanging from the necklace as I put it around my neck, the wedding band falling to the valley between my breasts. I feel like Frodo, hiding away a ring I want no one to take from me. Why bring my dead husband's wedding ring with me across the world? Perhaps a symbol a good luck, a piece of him other than memories with me as I will be continuing his vision.

"Will you be here soon?" Elijah asks, annoyed with me as I take in a calm breath.

"Yes." Just as I hang up, the knocking at the front door draws my attention away to looking at the ring and back to my rushed evening as I scramble to zip my luggage, carrying it down the stairs with me as I try and remain quiet to not awaken my daughter. As I reach the front door and pull it open, a ginger stands before me, her green eyes holding a simple kindness to them as I offer her a welcoming smile. "Hi, you must be Quinn," I greet, holding out my hand to shake as she smiles back, shaking mine as I open up the door further to invite her in. "Peggy highly recommended you, I am sorry to call you on such a short notice."

"Oh, no problem at all," Quinn comments, gazing in aw at the size and interior of the house. "I heard your husband had build this house, it is simply breathtaking." Her words sting as I can remember how happy Nixon was to show me the house. "I am sorry to hear of your loss. How long as it been?"

I can remember the funeral, the shallowness of my heart as I thought of Zion, the pain I felt for the loss of the love of my life, and the bitterness which soon swallowed me whole. "It's been ten months since," I reply, knowing that soon it will be a year since my husband was killed. "I'll show you to my daughter. She's pretty easy, not a big crier, but she tends to wake up hungry in the night a lot. Peggy informed me she sent you some details on what to do?" Quinn nods to inform me she has the directions, causing me to feel bitter as I know it seems like I am a mother too busy for her daughter. Perhaps Terrance's words are true, that I've been so consumed with pack matters and revenge that I have forgotten my daughter in the mix of it all. Opening the door to my daughter's room, Quinn checks out the interior, looking to my sleeping daughter as the night begins. "I am sorry to be in such a rush, I know I may not be able to give you too much information right now, but I bet many of the pack members would be happy to inform you."

"I am actually from another pack," Quinn comments. Peggy had mentioned Quinn is not from Crimson Lock, but a neighboring pack. "I've got a few connections here since my mate is from Crimson Lock."

Terrance. This is his mate, the women he made me declare him a rogue to be with. "Terrance, correct? We had gone to high school together."

"Yes." No doubt he has told her of me, the drama, how he feels about me. "I know it is a bit of a drive for me to take care of your daughter, but I do not mind. I am not able to have children, I have been taking care of them ever since I was a teenager, I got the news a few months ago."