7. Sorrow

I stared at Zaryn lying in the hospital bed, wounds covered in bandages that were stained with crimson..

His wounds were healing slowly but they would heal.

I stared wide eyed filled with fear as his raspy voice echoed through my mind..

"I have something to tell you..."

My lips parted as I tried to keep my bottom lip from trembling.. Sorrow in his eyes told me this wouldn't be good..

Walking in silently, I closed the door behind me and took a deep breath. I could smell anxiety rolling off of him in waves..

My own body giving off the same scent

Sitting on the chair beside his bed, I looked into those eyes blue as the purest ocean.. Sorrowful .

"Nova. " his hoarse voice whispered. .

"You don't want me around you anymore do you." I stifled the sob as I looked away from him. I wouldn't cry. I couldn't.

"Nova... No. Its just... I can't have you around Deacon anymore. Its causing problems with my wolf ."

Anger rose into me like a phoenix ready to burst into flames.. I felt a low growl through my chest as my head whipped to face him.

"You what?" I growled out. My wolf didn't like his command when she saw Deacon as family... As her pack member. Her mate got another pregnant. He lost all authority in telling me what to do...

Zaryn's eyes narrowed at the obvious ruffling of my fur, fire in my eyes.

I glared down with my own green eyes. "Zaryn I don't think you have any authority to tell me what I can do. You lost that privilege.. I am not mated to you. You are having a pup with another female." My words were low and deathly as I felt the anger pulsating inside me.

His nose flared, taking in the scent of anger I gave off. He smirked.

"Nova .. My father has approved it. You being around Deacon sets off My wolf. Its unhealthy for the pack to witness as well..... as for... Grace." His smirk turned down into an uncomfortable sadness. A frown crossed my features at the mention of her name.

"Why would it matter to you if Grace is upset. I thought you didn't care about her?" I was getting irritated.. He said he didn't care .

His eyes found mine, apologetic. "I don't... But.. My pup. If she's going to miscarry I don't want to be the cause of it. Its something .. A feeling I can't control. My wolf wants you but he knows we are going to be a father and he has an urge to protect the pup. My wolfing out isn't going to do that. I can't explain it without hurting you..." His voice cracked at the end.

I inhaled, taking a deep breath, smelling the sadness that came from his wolf side..

I understood. An expecting parent wanted their pup safe no matter who the other parent was. Its instinct but it hurt

Tears formed in my eyes.. I can't seem to stop them anymore despite my promises. I am too emotional for this.

"Zaryn. He's all I have. You have someone else and he's all that keeps me together." I felt the warm liquid run down my cheeks , my sinuses clogging in that familiar way I've become so used to.

Zaryn glared, eyes darkening. "You have me."

Standing, my mouth fell open as I gawked at him.

"I have you!?!? No I don't! She has you! She's carrying your pup, demanding your Mark!"