8. Homecoming

The pic above is Jasmine aka Jazz. Nics best friend. She doesnt play a huge part until the end

I felt sunlight stream in from the blinds, allowing lines of bright light to cast over my closed lids. My eyes were swollen shut. The only sound being heard were the birds singing their songs and mummers from the wolves outside, splashes from the lake followed.

Glancing at my clock I noticed it was already 10 am. My brother Nic would be here at 12.

We were having a pack celebration for his homecoming.. I could smell the pig roasting from outside the pack house.

How will I make it through today...

Getting out of bed, I trudged to the bathroom across the room. My reflection wasn't me. Dark circles, gaunt cheeks, pale... What I've been dealing with has put my health on the lowest mark of the totem pole.

Grace... She comes from a pack that lies on old traditions.. I felt in my heart that despite Zaryn's words, he would mark her eventually.

He would have to if her father demanded something else if he refused to mark her... Which would either be unmated she wolves or pack land. Pack land was the most sought after but they had a large amount of unmated males from what I heard, he could request he come here and let them see if any of our females are theirs and take them..

Females always went to the males pack in that situation.

But I had a gut feeling... He would want the pack lands. Something inside me told me he would do anything to sway the Alpha into forcing his son to mate with his daughter... A female without honor especially the alpha's daughter would be a shame for him. A spot on his family record.

No alpha wanted that. And no alpha wanted to lose packlands. Especially a future alpha. Zaryn would have no choice.

I felt that familiar nausea rolling my stomach but I took deep breaths, calming myself as I repeated in my head that this wasn't my fault. It was Zaryn's and Grace's. More Grace's since he couldn't smell her heat coming.. An unmated male around an unmated female was like kryptonite. The wolves take over and they don't think about trivial things such as condoms which is why we all get locked up with a house mom in charge.

My heart hurt... I felt dead inside still. I was alone now...

Quickly showering , I fixed my hair loose and wavy, applied little makeup and put on a grass green sundress and gold sandals. I wanted to look halfway decent for Nic's homecoming.

The embarrassment I would have to endure at this gathering had my nausea coming back double time.. Yesterday's fight didn't help... Now they would all be whispering.

Pulling myself together, I made my way downstairs, making sure no one was down there so I wouldn't have to see anyone. I can only imagine what the females would say about me.. The juveniles anyway.

Deciding to skip breakfast in fear that I would see someone, I dipped out of the side door and ran up to the Alpha's office. The visit with my parents could wait. I didn't want to stretch this out, worrying all morning about what he would say to me. I knew it would be about Deacon but... I had to be strong for this part.

Knocking softly, I was greeted instantly.

"Come in Nova." Alpha Blakes firm yet softened tone had me pushing the door open quickly , dipping inside quickly.

I inched into the room, hands wringing. He smelled my nervousness.

"You wanted to see me?" I held myself together because I knew what was going to come. Alpha Blake seemed sad, eyes far off.. He was like a second father to me. I grew up with this man and his family as part of my own family.