Chapter 4: Hatred

I was actually dying to see Robin on Monday. But when Monday came it seemed like she didn’t even come to school. It wasn’t until after school that I found her. But believe me when I say that I wish I had never spotted her.

I found her in the music room –we had a special room at our school where we stashed all of our music instruments and, whenever you wanted to play, you could play in there– playing the piano. From the sound of it she was still a beginner, but she had potential.

I looked at her from the outside. I placed my hand on the thick glass that separated us. The second she stopped playing I burst inside. She glanced at me, wiped her tears away and told me irritated:

“What are you doing here, bursting in like that?”

I walked over to her. She turned her back to me.

“That was pretty nice,” I told her, feeling a bit awkward.

“No it wasn’t,” she replied.

“Of course it was.”

“No, stop lying.”

“Don’t you believe in yourself?”

She didn’t answer me immediately. She pulled her legs up and buried her face between them, her arms enveloping them tightly. “Don’t act like you know me!”

I took a few more steps towards her and sat on the floor right beside the piano bench she was sitting on. “You’re right, I don’t know you. But anyone can tell there’s something tearing you up inside.” She continued to cry. “I’ve been told countless times that it’s better to voice out your problems to those who care about you.”

“And I’m supposed to believe you care? Please…” she snapped turning her head sideways to look at me, her eyes shooting daggers at me.

I smiled softly. “Why wouldn’t you?”

“I know your kind,” she said with venom in her voice, “I won’t fall for it. You can’t deceive me.”

I tilted my head to the side. “You won’t fall for what? Receiving comfort?” She nodded. “I’m not that good in giving advice, my dear. I was only planning on giving you a comforting hug.”

She closed her eyes and continued to cry. So much for my attempt at humour to cheer her up… My eyes fell on her hands holding her legs together; her knuckles were starting to turn white. I reached out to her left hand and held it between mine. Robin pulled her hand back abruptly, lost her balance and fell on top of me.

I blinked a couple of times, not exactly grasping how we had suddenly found ourselves in this situation. Fortunately my back was against the wall, so she hadn’t fallen entirely on top of me. Heart saw it differently.

“Who do you think you are?!” she yelled, pulling back but not standing up.

“I thought you said you knew who I was,” I threw back at her, smirking mischievously.

She blushed slightly. “Oh, shut up…”

“So…” I helped her to sit up straight. Doing so forced her to put her hand on my chest for balance. I’m pretty sure she didn’t like that… “Aren’t you going to tell me what’s wrong? It’s okay if you don’t want to.” I was hoping reverse psychology would help right now.

Robin shook her head, reading right through me. “That doesn’t work with me, either.”

Although I told myself flirting wouldn’t always help with her, I gave in to temptation. I leaned in close to her and held her chin lightly. Our lips were only inches away from making contact.