Chapter 22: Till death do us part

*Hey guys, sorry these chapters are coming out so slow... These days I started to write a story along with a friend and we switch turns every chapter. Now that it's her turn to write the chapter I got the time to finish this chapter of The Bet. Aside from writing two stories at the same time, college is also killing me. But hey, I'm not complaining. Today there's a certificate ceremony thinger for all the ones that passed their propedeutics (had to search that word up to know the English term, but over here we just call it "propedeuse") and I'm one of them. Yay me! Can't wait for tonight~

Also, I'm a bit depressed these days all with my lifelong friend in a coma and stuff. Believe me, it sucks not knowing what day I'll wake up and she won't be there anymore. --update to this: She passed away a month or so after she was in her coma..*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I was expecting Phoebe to stay home rather than coming to school, but I suppose this was possible as well.

She made a big scene coming in late with one of her legs in a cast and all. Robin rolled her eyes at it; she didn’t seem to care about it that much, but I couldn’t help but get ticked off at it. What was I doing? Hadn’t I asked Robin not to get too riled up over Phoebe’s stunts? Yet here I was doing the exact same thing. Damn it all. Damn her and her fake cast.

Come to think of it, I didn’t even touch her legs…

Her eyes rested on mine. While no one was looking, she threw me a grin. Oh, did she really think she had won? Just because I was hated by everyone, including the teachers now, did she really just think I quit?

I stood up. My chair pulled back and almost fell. It turned horribly silent. Everyone looked over at me except for Robin and Kevin. I walked over to Phoebe and stared at her cast.

“Are you here to apologize?” she asked using an extra loud and bitchy voice for everyone to hear.

I didn’t bother to look at her. I felt Robin hold my left hand. I hadn’t realized my other hand was halfway towards Phoebe’s face if she hadn’t done that. The girls surrounding her gasped and muttered stuff like ‘So it is true…’ to each other.

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and shoved my fist in my pocket muttering ‘Calm down, she’s just not worth it’ to calm my anger. I took two steps before she opened her mouth again.

“So you’re not apologizing?”

I turned and glared at her. “Hell. No.”

“So be it.”

The words came out strange, menacing even. I tried not to think about it and left the classroom. Five minutes later we were already in a bus. We were lucky to find one this quickly.

For how long was Phoebe going to act this out? Had I officially declared war to her now? Imagining what she could pull off next made me instantly nauseous.

The sound of my cell-phone ringing brought me out of my daze. It was an unknown number. I picked the phone up without saying a word. One could never be too careful with a psychotic stalker on the loose.

“Hey Zack? Are you there?” It was John. I haven’t heard from this guy in ages. Actually, I haven’t seen any one of them lately. But John’s hushed voice gave me the feeling something wasn’t right.

“I’m here,” I told him.

“Listen. Listen carefully and do exactly as I say,” he started, “She’s after Robin. Don’t—” but the line got cut off.