Chapter 19: Separated

Both Phoebe and Robin did their best to ignore each other throughout the day. It wasn't until after school that her cell-phone vibrated. Judging from her expression I got the feeling it wasn't something positive. I tried looking over her shoulder to check what it said. She noticed me and hid it before I read a single word. Phoebe walked out without Kevin and soon after Robin followed. It must have been Phoebe who sent her that message. I was 100% sure something bad was going to happen.

I quickly shoved my stuff in my bag. But I barely reached the door before Kevin stopped me. He placed his hand on my shoulder. For once he didn't seem angry. He just seemed hurt.

"What is it?" I asked in a low voice. We were alone in the classroom, but I did my very best not to snap and that was the only way to control myself.

"Could you tell me... what happened at the amusement park exactly?" he asked slowly.

My eyes widened. Was he serious? "You won't like it though."

His hand dropped from my shoulder and he looked at the floor. "I don't care." He paused for a while. "I've been doing some thinking, and well... It's too hard for me to accept that what you did was on purpose."

I felt so happy I could hug him, but I cleared my throat instead. "Well... It's a long story, so you might want to sit down first."

As soon as he took his seat I started on the long, painful experience with Phoebe once more. Kevin listened silently, emotionless, as if he couldn't believe a word he was being told. I told him everything the same way I had told Joe the other day. After I was done, he asked:

"And you want me to believe all that?"

"No," I told him, "You're not forced to believe anything. I just wanted you to know the truth."

Kevin thought it over for a while. "And she was planning on breaking up with me in a week?"

I could only imagine how messed up he was feeling on the inside. "I think a week must have passed already, but yeah, that's what she told me."

He grimaced. "You're the worst friend I've ever had for making all that up."

You've got to be kidding me...

"I should have known you would do that to me."

"Kevin, I didn't-"

He waved his hand. "Forget it. As if it wasn't obvious enough, this friendship is over."

I gulped. "Don't say that..."

He glared at me. "If I ever see you with her again, I swear to God I'll kill you."

That was when I noticed he hadn't believed in me not even for a second. He was just searching for trouble.

"And keep that girlfriend of yours out of our way, too," he added.

I suddenly remembered about Robin. I snatched my bag and ran out of the classroom. I had no idea where she could be, so I grabbed my cell-phone ready to dial her number. My eyes widened. I had 25 missed calls from her. I called her up. It didn't even ring twice before she picked it up.

"I'm in the girl's restroom," she said, her voice shaking.

"Which one?"

"The one near the library."

"I'm on my way."

I had no idea how fast I ran. All I know was that I reached the restroom not long after I talked with Robin. She must have heard my footsteps and called out my name. I noticed immediately which toilet she was in; the one at the end had a very long stick holding the door shut.