Chapter 17: Unwanted new student

The moment I got back home I took a very long rest until the next day. I was both mentally and physically worn out. I was glad I didn't have to go to work on Wednesdays, otherwise it would have been a disaster. But what I didn't know was what would be in store for me on Thursday...

I woke up feeling alive and refreshed. Mom actually woke up early today and begged me for some breakfast. I wasn't really planning on cooking anything right now, but I couldn't say no to those puppy dog eyes of hers. Then Mom dropped me off at school.

"Have a nice day today honey," she said with a warm smile.

"Thanks," I replied.

The weather was cold today, for November was on its way. Students glanced at me as soon as I walked by them, muttering incoherent stuff to each other in the process. It was slightly annoying, but I ignored them. Whatever nonsense they were spouting was no concern of mine anyway.

What I didn't expect, however, was the new student that arrived today. Well, she's not so new as to unwanted, but still. Yes, it was none other than Phoebe McCartney herself. As if my week couldn't get any worse.

The second she was told to introduce herself I stood up and walked out of the classroom, making sure I leave with my schoolbag so I had no reason to return there. The teacher ordered me to return to my seat but I acted as if she was dust. I came face to face with Robin, who was just getting ready to enter the classroom.

"Trust me, you wouldn't want to go in there," I told her.

"Why not?" She peeked over my shoulders and immediately received her answer. "What is she doing here?!"

"I don't know, but I'm planning to find out. You coming?"

"Where to?"

"Principal Allen's office."

 "Sure, alright," Robin replied without even thinking it over.

"Good morning Cart-"

"Why the hell did you let her into this school?" It wasn't that nice of a greeting message, but hey, someone had to say it.

"Excuse me?" It didn't sound like she minded the rudeness that much; she was just confused.

"The new student in our class is Phoebe, Kevin's girlfriend," I told her, "Don't you remember what I told you yesterday?"

She sighed. "I didn't think it would be the same person."

"Well it is. What now?"

"I can't just expel her from school now."

"Why not?" Robin asked before I had the chance to.

"There are rules to stuff like that."

"If you don't take her off of this school, I'm changing classes," I hissed, "Or schools."

"Are you threatening me, Mr. Carter?" Allen arched a brow.

I sighed. "No, I'm making a humble petition here," I said sarcastically, trying not to lose it, "Please move me to another class. I cannot and will not stand to be in the same classroom as her."

The principal lowered her gaze thoughtfully. "I suppose there shouldn't be a problem with that... It's still the beginning of the school-year... Sort of."

I glanced at Robin. "What about you?"

She shrugged. "As long as I stay away from her I'll be able to hold myself. But it'll be too obvious something's going on if both of us suddenly move out like that. I'll have to stay." It sounded forced, but at least she was somewhat confident in herself.

And then it hit me. Leaving Robin alone with her would be like throwing her into a lion's cage. No matter how strong Robin could be, she wouldn't be able to keep up with her.

"You know what? Just never mind it," I said eventually, "I'll just bite my teeth in the meantime. But don't blame me if she ends up in the hospital one day."

Allen frowned. "At least try and contain yourself, Zachary. If it gets too much for you, let me know and we'll think of a solution together."

I didn't reply and just turned and left. There was absolutely no point in arguing with her. It was her job to say those words, anyway.

"Why did you take it back?" Robin asked me after a while.

I glanced at her. "I won't be able to forgive myself if I left you alone with her."

"You really didn't have to."

"Believe me, I did." She was starting to find out about Phoebe's true personality, but I was the only one who knew exactly who she was. It would always stay that way.

We waited until the second class started before walking into the classroom. Fortunately there were two seats empty in the front of the classroom, so Robin and I sat right next to each other.

Whenever Phoebe gave a right answer, Robin would roll her eyes. Before the class had ended, she slid a small paper onto my table. It said: 'She's just searching for attention. Must suck to be so desperate.'

I forced down a smile but it broke through anyway. Robin giggled in reply. Yeah, leaving Robin alone would've been bad for her and me; I would've missed her too much.

When the bell for recess went off, I looked over at Robin. As the students poured out, Phoebe and Kevin walked towards us. Phoebe kicked Robin's leg before heading out. As always, Kevin was too dense to notice anything. I could tell Robin wanted to jump at her right that second, but she managed to control herself.

But that was just the first time.

For the rest of the day whenever we had to change classrooms, Phoebe kept kicking Robin before leaving the classroom. It wasn't until after school, when all teachers were completely out of sight, that Robin snapped at her. Phoebe casually kicked her leg and made her way to Kevin, who was waiting for her at the doorway. Robin pulled her by her shirt and slammed her back against the wall. Holding her in that state was Robin's arm pressed against Phoebe's chest.

"What the hell is your problem?!" she yelled. And when Kevin turned to fend her off she glared at him, paralyzing him completely. "You back off!"

I got a very bad feeling about this...

Phoebe snickered triumphantly. "Sure took you long enough to break down."

Robin snorted and pulled her fist back. But before she could strike her, I pulled her arm back. She frowned at me, but I shook my head. Kevin pushed Robin back and pulled Phoebe in his arms.

"Next time you won't be so lucky," Robin hissed without even bothering to look at her.

Phoebe stuck her tongue out childishly. The second they left, the heavy air was lifted. Robin stretched her arms out.

"And you said you would hold yourself down," I remarked amused, "You seemed more like you were holding her down, literally."

She grinned. "You can't expect me to just take that in, right?"

I sighed. "Sadly that is what we should do. You said it yourself: she's craving attention. If we ignore her, she'll fall apart."

"I guess that makes sense... But she's so irritating!"

I rolled my eyes. "Welcome to my world."

Although that was said, I knew that Robin hadn't been through anything yet. I could remember clearly what she did with one of my past dates. That also started with mere bullying. I was simply hoping Robin would be able to withstand her torturing methods.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*So like... I'd like to apologize that this chapter turned out to be so short and perhaps also uninteresting... I just had to get it out of the way. I had all the time in the world to write, but during the entire flippin' day I was rolling around in my bed, crying of pain... Even now I still have cramps... -kicks 'em away-

Meh... I sure hope tomorrow'll be a brighter day... ;w;*