Chapter 20: Lovers' quarrel

On Friday Robin visited me at the restaurant. I was so shocked to see her I couldn't utter a single word. Judging from the dark circles beneath her eyes she wasn't getting much sleep lately. Her hair seemed like it had quickly been tied into a bun; she didn't seem like she put much energy and time into it.

"No hi?" she asked finally, spreading her arms.

I swooped her into my arms. She was startled at this; apparently she hadn't spread her arms for me to do this. But I couldn't help it. "I've missed you so much..."

"It's only been a few days," she whispered, patting me awkwardly on my back.

I smiled. "Four long days." I pulled back and examined her carefully. She seemed to have lost some weight, as well. "How've you been? Where have you been?"

She grimaced. "Ugh, it's a long story."

"Believe me, I have time."

"Your shift isn't over yet."

I took her by her hand and brought her in the men's changing room. I turned to her and gave her a stern look. "It is now."

She sighed and walked over to one of the lockers. Tapping her fingers against it, she started to explain:

"See, Dad got arrested last Monday. Apparently someone sent the police department pictures of him abusing me. I was questioned and everything, but I managed to escape temporarily. They found me yesterday, though, and placed me in a foster home." She made a disgusted face. "I know I should appreciate how much they're caring for me and all, but I feel like I've stepped into fire."

"Why?"

She walked over to me again. "It was Kevin's parents that brought me into their house."

"Oh shit," I muttered.

She nodded and pressed her head against my chest, her fingers gripping my shirt tightly. My heart almost stopped at the contact. "I don't really care about him treating me so bad, but it irritates me that I can't punch him inside out in front of his parents. And just now, I had to leave because he invited that slut over to his house."

"Phoebe?" I asked.

She nodded again. "And well... I also left because I just had to see you..."

I wanted to tell her Phoebe purchased her house now, but as soon as those words left her lips I froze up. A devious smirk ran across my lips.

"And you say it was just a few days," I teased.

Robin pouted. The fact that she was blushing as well was just too adorable of a combination for me to handle. I rested a hand on her chin and pulled her face up to look at me. I leaned in ever so slowly and pressed my lips on hers. The fear of her pushing me away overtook me, so I pulled away before she had the chance to do so. She groaned at this.

"Do you... really not mind?" I asked her in a low voice.

Robin stood on her toes and answered me with a peck on the lips. "Why would I mind?"

And finally, after waiting for so, so long, this was how we officially started dating. It's been so long since I've held a woman in my arms this way. And not just any woman; a woman I truly loved.

It was for this reason that I knew I had to do something about her situation. Kevin hated having her around his house, but I had a feeling Robin probably went along well with Diane. All the kindness in the world she could be receiving in that house was not compared to the tension she must have been feeling living under the same roof as Kevin.

Therefore I asked Mom about it.

"Oh oh, is she the one you have a crush on?" she asked eagerly.