Chapter 13: Secrets revealed

It was Monday. The bet's deadline has arrived, and I had absolutely no confidence in winning Robin over anymore. My head was clouded with thoughts; I couldn't care less if Kevin or any other one of the guys spread rumours about my secret. I wasn't planning on going out with every girl I laid my eyes on anymore, either. The most important thing right now was figuring out where Phoebe could be hiding.

I felt someone poke something against my shoulder. I figured it was David because he always sat behind me during this hour.

"What?" I asked him.

"Today's the last day," he snickered.

"Just tell everyone the secret and get it over with."

His smile dropped. "It couldn't have gone that bad, could it?"

"It obviously did."

The bell went off and recess kicked in.

"Of course we won't tell anyone your secret," he said after a while, resting his hand on my shoulder while I was stuffing my books in my bag, "That's not even close to funny if we were to do that."

I nodded. "Thanks."

"Let's go to the roof today. It's nice and windy there."

I nodded again and we went off. 'Shockingly' enough, guess who was sitting there with them. No wonder they wanted me to go to the roof today...

I turned back as soon as I opened the door to the roof. David stopped me.

"Can't you even look at her?" he asked me surprised.

"No," I replied simply and pushed him away.

"But what if this helps to get you two together?"

I turned my back to him. "It was all part of a stupid bet, David. I am not attached to her anymore. And why would I do that if she rejected me anyway?"

"Bet?"

Oh no... Out of all the people in the world who heard those words, why did it have to be Robin herself?!

She ran past me, leaving her bag and everything behind with the guys. I told David to guard her stuff and bring them to our next classroom after recess and chased her down. She left the school grounds and fell on the ground. Her back rested against our school's famous oak tree.

I sneaked up behind her. Why was I disappointed that she wasn't crying? Wasn't I already aware that she held no special feelings towards me?

I placed my hand on her right shoulder. She slapped it away without even turning around.

"Go away," she hissed.

"Why are you so upset?" I asked her.

She finally turned to me. Robin didn't seem the least bit happy right now. "You have some nerve to ask me that..."

"What I mean is-"

"You were one of my closest friends... Do I really mean that little to you?"

Oh, right... I was just a friend to her...

I suddenly found myself lying on the ground. It wasn't a surprise that girls slapped me, but nobody has ever punched me before. And especially not a female.

I scrambled to my feet and grabbed her hand tight before she were to swing me another one. She struggled to break free, but I didn't give in. It was time for her to listen to my side of the story as well. "Robin, I'm sorry you heard about the bet that way. But I really had no other choice but to accept it."