Chapter 6: Disappointment

I've always hated Wednesdays. It's always been the most boring day in the week for me. Why? Because it was P.E. day. The guys and I always ditched that to do absolutely nothing instead. But because I got so many warnings about it I decided to give it a try today.

And out of all the days the teacher had to choose today to make us play dodge ball...

Kevin got all psyched about it. He nudged me and told me this was going to be fun. I grunted in response. My eyes roamed the room for Robin. I spotted her surrounded by a group of girls. By the sound of it they were asking her to catch all the balls for them.

"Girls shouldn't go against boys! They're obviously stronger," one of them complained to the teacher.

She sighed. "Fine, then the first rounds will be girls against girls, and boys against boys. Then whoever wants to continue playing afterward can play against the boys. Sounds fair to you now?"

The girls reacted positive to her suggestion. The moment she whistled it was the sign that the game had started. The girls moved onto the field, unwillingly of course, while we took our seats on the floor. I was just glad we did P.E. indoors. Sitting on rocks and pebbles wasn't all that comfortable.

Another whistle and the ball went in the air. Robin was the first to catch it, meaning her team got to go first. She threw the ball and hit a girl in her right leg, despite her futile effort to escape it. As for the rest of Robin's team they didn't seem the least bit interested in playing.

After her fifth hit she glanced at me. I gave her a thumbs-up. She grinned and did the same with me. Then it was our turn to play. Kevin and Joe were in my team; David and John were in the other. They were obviously not pleased about not being in the same team as us, but what could they do? They knew better than anyone else never to argue with our P.E. teacher. The last time someone argued with her she ended up getting detention for a week.

I stood behind Kevin as soon as the game started. Sadly, despite all his excitement he was one of the first guys on our team to get smacked. Joe was my last hope. But no, not even Joe was agile enough to dodge the ball. I didn't even care that I got hit anymore. What was the point?

In my opinion if it wasn't for Heart, I would have fallen asleep during this P.E. class. She actually seemed like she was serious about this. It was either that, or she was seriously pissed off about having such a worthless team that made her do everything for them.

After a few minutes she did something that made us all laugh. She caught the ball and threw it at them instead of at the opposite team. But it was her expression that forced us to shut up again.

"Do something!" she yelled at them.

The girls scowled.

"You shouldn't be doing this if you're too worried about breaking a nail."

They pouted, but still did as they were told. Some of them left the field, and only two of them had her back. She nodded at them before taking her position again. The whistle signaled the end of their timeout. Robin's team won without any of the three getting hit.

And then it was time for us to play against them.

Robin remained standing and glanced at me. Although I wasn't planning to continue, I still stood up. This encouraged Kevin, David, John and Joe to give it a try as well. The girls were obviously in a disadvantage. They were only ten or so and we were more than fifteen. But then again, Robin was among those girls. Anything could happen.

"I didn't expect you to continue," David told me.

I shrugged. "I'm only doing this because Robin's in there."