Chapter 16: Confessions

Robin advised me to go to the restroom, so I did. My face didn't hurt or anything, but a tiny streak of blood rolled down my lips. I cupped my hands with water and washed it off. It stung a bit, but I shrugged it off.

I wasn't looking forward to seeing him back in detention. I would have to sit far, far away from him if I didn't want us to get into another fight. I lowered my gaze. A few days ago this had been the last thing I could consider doing with a friend.

"Zack," I heard suddenly. Joe was standing behind me. "We need to talk."

"About?" I asked arching an eyebrow at him.

"Kevin. I want to know exactly what happened yesterday."

I nodded. "Fine. But not here."

Joe, Robin and I sat down at the same tree where Robin and I had our talk. After we had settled down I told him all I knew about Phoebe, even what she had done to prevent Mom from getting another job.

"It's like she has all our actions planned out," I said, "Like she can do whatever she wants without getting punished for it."

"Are you really 100% sure she's the same Phoebe?" Joe asked for the millionth time, still unable to believe it.

"Even I'm sure, and I didn't even know her," Robin answered for me.

"Woah, this is so messed up..." Joe stared at the sky for a while. "Maybe you should tell Kevin everything instead of just trying to convince him she was the one who kissed you. If it were me, I wouldn't believe you just because you're a friend, either. It's better to be safe than sorry."

He was right. But why did imagining that seem so impossible in my eyes? Kevin would assault me before I even got the chance to mutter a single word at him. Perhaps it would be better to wait until Phoebe broke up with him.

"Do you still talk to him?" I asked him.

Joe nodded. "Why?"

"Would you be able to keep an eye out for him for me? Phoebe said she'll break up with him in a week."

Joe's eyes widened. "No way... That'll devastate him!"

"I know."

"It's his first girlfriend. He was so happy about it and all, and now that..."

"I know," I repeated, "I don't think I've ever hated a female as much as I hate her."

"Likewise," Robin pitched in.

Joe snickered. "You packed quite a punch yesterday, too. Literally."

Robin grinned proudly. "You haven't seen anything yet... If Kevin wasn't there I would've beaten her to a pulp."

If only we could patch everything up by just swinging a few punches around. The saying that men share their feelings and apologies through punches was bull crap.

"So you want to keep a distance from them until they break up," Joe summarized.

"Pretty much," I replied.

"Alright. I'll ask him about it in a week. Indirectly, of course. Wouldn't want him to think I'm fraternizing with the enemy. You don't mind if I stay away from you in front of him as well, do you? It'll just be when he's around."

I nodded. "Sure, no problem."

Joe stood up. "Okay! I'll catch you later then. Bye Robin."

Robin waved. He walked away from us. A few seconds after he left, Robin magically conjured up a well-hidden chocolate bar.