Chapter 11: Dirty lies

The supermarket was pretty full today. And so were my thoughts. Five minutes in and I had completely forgotten what I came to buy. Now this is what happens when I don't write them down in a notebook or something.

"Zack!" This voice sounded familiar. Way too familiar.

And, as expected, I saw Rachel and Joe making their way to me, with Joe running the grocery kart.

"We've been calling your name out for the past two minutes," Joe said, "You seem deep in thoughts. Are you alright?"

I didn't give him an answer.

"How are you?" Rachel tried.

I shrugged. "Could be better I guess. What are you two doing here?"

"Three," Joe corrected, rolling his eyes, "Kevin tagged along as well."

As if on cue, Kevin popped up behind me and threw his arms around me. "Zaaack~" he chimed, rubbing his cheeks against mine.

I sighed, not too fond of the random display of affection. "Hey Kev..."

"I'm so happy to see you. Aren't you happy to see me?"

"Not particularly, no."

Joe tugged his shirt and freed me from him. "Apparently he's going on a blind date tomorrow," he explained while Rachel giggled at Kevin for taking her hands and spinning her around in circles, "He's been hyper ever since he told us about it. I assume that's his main reason for being in this state."

Kevin let Rachel go and ran around the supermarket dancing with whoever he found in his path. Curious bystanders glanced at him amused before they became victims of his terrible excuse for salsa dances as well.

"Am I the only one that has a feeling that date will fail?" I asked sighing.

"No," Joe and Rachel answered simultaneously.

"Ah, but what if she likes his sense of humour?" Rachel tried. She really was too nice for her own good sometimes.

I shrugged. "It could happen. We'll have to wait and see."

A few seconds later Kevin returned to us. He was rubbing his head as if someone had just smacked him with an umbrella. "Who said old ladies are cute?" he mumbled, "All they do is hit innocent people. And why? Just because they don't see the joy in life anymore. Sad old prunes..."

"Don't you have any grandparents?" Joe asked him.

"Of course I do."

"Then doesn't that mean that they're also sad old prunes?"

Kevin pouted. "Oh, shut up..."

"So what are you buying?" Joe asked me with a smile.

"I honestly can't remember," I replied sincerely.

"See? I'm not the only one!" Kevin exclaimed.

"You're just unique, Kev," Joe told him, "Zack might actually be worried about something. You're absentminded 24/7."

"Why do you guys always bash on me like that?" he whined.

We didn't even bother to answer him.

"Did you find Robin afterward?" Joe asked me.

"Yeah," I said without giving many details.

Joe didn't pry any further. Instead he decided to direct his attention to a giant Lovers ice cream hidden beneath tomatoes and other vegetables in their kart. He took hold of the ice cream.