Epilogue

Robin didn’t speak, so he walked around me and pulled her roughly by her arm. I instantly grabbed him by the wrist and glared at him.

“I’m sorry, but you don’t belong here,” I told him calmly.

“Who’s this puny little brat?” he spat at me.

“Why are you here?” Robin cried, “Weren’t you locked up?”

He didn’t answer her. “We’re going home.”

“I don’t think so,” I told him.

“I’m not asking you!! Get out of my way!”

I tightened my grip on his wrist. “Over my dead body.”

“That can be arranged…”

Robin’s eyes widened. “No!! I’ll go home with you, just don’t hurt Zack!”

I glared at her. “Don’t you start with me. Just stay out of it.”

“How can I?!”

“He’s bluffing, Robin; he can’t hurt me.”

“Can’t I now?” Robin’s dad said with a smirk on his face.

I looked back at him. “No, you can’t. Let Robin go.” That was meant both literally and symbolically.

“She’s my daughter.”

“And this is my house. I won’t allow you to mistreat her in my house.”

“You have no right to tell me anything!!” he shouted.

“Don’t let me get started on what you have no right in doing to Robin,” I threw right back at him.

He punched me. Robin screamed and pushed him away from us, but he just saw this as an opportunity to pull her into his arms.

“What’s going on in here?”

Boy, was I glad to hear Mom’s voice right about now…

Mom walked over to us and stared at Robin’s dad with her eyebrows creased. “If you EVER touch either one of these two children again I will report you to the authorities.”

To put frosting on the cake, the man pushed my mother away and made her fall to the ground. That was all it took. Just that one action made me snap.

I flew at him and punched him over and over again. He threw me to the floor, but I just kept scrambling my way back to him. In the meantime, Mom was calling the police. He noticed this and snatched a glass to throw it at her. But I took it from him and crushed it in my one hand. This amused him.

“Robin,” I hissed, my voice trembling, “Please, get out of here.”

“Zack, don’t—”

“Get out, NOW!!”

She pressed her lips together and ran out the door. Her dad tried to follow her but I knocked him out with a chair. Mom sat in a corner staring at him with her eyes wide open. I was still panting, but the fact was this: it would all be over soon.

The police arrived an hour later. It was just when he woke up again. They noticed his violent impulses and arrested him immediately. But they didn’t take him out of the house.

“Where’s the daughter he came here for?” an officer asked me, “We need to talk to her and her father together.”

“Ah, I told her to leave. I don’t know where she is.”

Mom searched for Robin throughout the house and found her hidden under my bed. I washed my hands before going to her. Washing my hands didn’t really help, though, because the blood reappeared and filled up my hand as soon as I reached my bedroom. Breaking a glass with one hand might have seemed cool to some, but it was a stupid thing to do. The officer followed me inside.