Chapter 14: Kevin's new girlfriend

I've been told that the best way to keep a lie hidden was by covering it up with more lies. But the same person who told me that was now dead. Those words showed how much of a bastard he was.

His first lie was when he said he loved Mom. His second was putting that dreadful ring around her finger. And his third was when he promised to take care of me after I was born. It is a fact that neither me nor Mom should have ever believed him, but whether we want to accept it or not, we still did. It was time to accept it and to move on.

Same goes with what happened between Phoebe and I. Talking it over with Robin made me realize this. As they say, it's good to let bygones be bygones. Sure, so I had recognized her handwriting on the envelope, but what if it turns out to be someone that has the exact same handwriting as her? It would be impossible to let it slide just like that, especially since Mom was involved. But unless she showed herself, there was really nothing I could do. Not yet, at least.

After our long talk, Robin and I headed to our classroom. The teacher ended up getting pissed off at us and told us to stay outside for the rest of the period. Honestly said, that wasn't such a bad thing... The more time I could spend with Heart, the better it was for me.

"Where to now?" Robin asked, swinging her arms rhythmically about like a child would.

"It depends on where you want to go. I really don't mind." I smiled softly at her to prove my point.

"Library it is, then."

"Which reminds me, why do you like going there so much?"

Robin smiled. "Well, for one, it's very cool in there. And, of course, reading stories is one of my hobbies."

"What kind of stories do you read?"

She stopped swinging her arms. "I can read anything you throw at me. But I have a preference in Romance. But hey, don't the majority of females like Romance stories?"

"True," I agreed with her, chuckling.

"Although in my case I write some as well."

"Oh?" Well this was uncalled for.

Robin grinned proudly. "I suppose after reading so many of them I started to wonder how it would have ended if it had gone some other way. One thing led to another, and now I write my own stories."

"Seriously, is there something you can't do? You play the piano, you're extremely athletic, beautiful, and you can write."

While I was busy admiring her, I didn't notice how quiet she had gotten. And even when I did notice, I just thought she was being shy. It was when she spoke that I realized she was thinking about something.

"'I can do so much, and yet there is so little that I can do,'" she said after a while, "'My limitations are there to torture me.'"

"What was that all about?" I asked her curiously.

"I used those sentences in my latest novel," she explained, "but they're based on my life."

We reached the library, but it was definitely not the end of the conversation. I would make sure of that. I held the door open for her. She smiled and thanked me before entering. This time the librarian was present, so I couldn't do much. Not that I was planning to, but still... Speaking of which, she didn't even raise her head to greet us when we walked past her. But Robin still said hi to her.

"So tell me," I told her in a low voice after sitting down next to her, "What could possibly be something you're not good in?"

Robin rested her cheek on the palm of her hand. She may have seemed like she was bored by others but only seemed attractive as hell in my eyes. Then again, no matter what she did, she would always seem attractive to me. "I was never able to confess to a guy due to my shyness. I fear to be in the same house as my dad. I suck in giving someone advice. And I guess I'm not good in giving oral presentations, either."