Chapter One: Her

I tie my long red hair back and survey the area. I sling my army green duffel bag over my chest and crouch. I take the blades from my belt and hold them in a tight grip. Taking in a few deep breathes to calm my racing heart, I keep a sharp eye on the woods.
Two rogues are coming. I hear their loud breathing and their paws hitting the ground. And worst of all, I smell them. They smell like a rotting corpse. Their souls are the thing rotting. How they can ignore it, I won't ever know.
       They come into my view and I stay still on my branch. My fingers twitch around the blades. I take a deep breath before I throw the silver blades at the rogues. I hit my mark, a hit between the eyes. An instant death. Something those filthy animals don't deserve. If I had had the time, their deaths would not have been so painless, it would have been agonizing.
       I spit at them after I jump out of the tree. Their grey coats are splotchy and ugly, showing unhealthy skin. They look like rabid dogs, they deserved to be put down. I'm just the one to do it.
       They shouldn't be able to destroy peoples lives and not be punished. The council won't do anything about them unless they cross a territory. If it was up to them, the mutts who killed my pack would go free. Someone has to do the dirty work so it might as well be me. I retrieve my blades before taking off running. If they have friends, they'll want payback.
       My combat boots hit the ground with nearly no noise. Running has become an instinct to me, kill then run. If you don't ever stop, no one can ever find you. My black leggings hug my muscled legs and my army green tank top clings to me as I run through the woods. I look like I belong in a boot camp. The cold look in my green eyes probably would make anyone who saw me uncomfortable. Like those of a soldier.
       I see a tree I have become familiar with ahead and jump to the lowest branch. It would be difficult for a male wolf to jump that high, their bulky frames making them heavier and slower. And I don't think any she-wolf would be a threat to me. Packs tend to keep them safely kept at home and there aren't many female rogues. Even then, one would be a fool to challenge me. I continue my climb until I reach my camp. A few tree limbs grew strangely close, creating a perfect nesting place, and the leaves from the lower branches hiding me from any and everything. My sleeping bag, battery powered lamp, and my cooler full of food and water are all that I keep here. Nothing I might need if I have to make a run for it.
       I remove my bag and drop it by the sleeping bag before taking a water from the cooler and plopping down for the night. No rogues will find me tonight. My scent was concealed when I came here and the smell of all the animals near by would throw them off. I am lucky I learned how to hide my scent while being distracted, if I hadn't, I would surely be dead by now. I lay back and look through the leaves. Stars are scattered in the dark sky. They are beautiful. The moon casting a cold light upon everything just adds to it. I take a deep breathe and enjoy the scents that assault my nose.
       The rich smell of dirt, grass, the little creek not far from here, and the other of natures scent. It relaxes my tense muscles. This was the life I was given after the one I wanted was taken from my eight year self. I once wanted all the things normal little girls wanted. To one day find my mate, to have kids and watch them grow. I wanted the typical but that wasn't what I was given. At the age of nineteen, I do not want to find my mate, I don't live a typical life because I was forced into this one. I have the ability to kill rogues, I will not waste them for silly dreams.
Like I said before, I will avenge my family, my pack. That is what I swore to do ten years ago. And each day I get closer to finding who ruined my life. Those monsters killed innocent men, women, and children. And it turns out, a monster is what I needed to become so I can take revenge.

Date written: 5/24/16
Date Published: 7/15/16
Word Count: 778 (short chapter)
Remember to vote and comment!