Chapter Ten: Running... Again

I climb into a tree. Biting my lip hard enough to draw blood. My leg is clearly broken, I left Noah alive and didn't get any info from him before leaving. I wish I could kill that rogue again, he just slowed me down by breaking my damn leg. The adrenaline wore off nearly an hour ago and my body is just realizing the pain it is in. 

I lean against the base of the tree and sigh. Tomorrow I will need to visit a town and get something to set my leg. I then remember that if I want it to heal properly, I need to make sure it is aligned now. I tear a piece of branch of the tree and put it between my teeth. Then, I drag my leg closer to me and put my hands on either side of it. 1, 2, 3 I snap it into place, a muffled scream comes from me. Tears gather in my eyes at the pain. I yank two straight branches from the tree and tear the bottom of my shirt off. I use the objects as a make-shift splint. 

Closing my eyes, the painful pulsing of my leg lulls me to sleep. Only to be plagued with nightmares of how my pack died, this time it was Axel's pack. I hear the terrified screaming of families, children crying for their parents, and the deafening howls of mates losing one another. I see myself crying and screaming over a body. Axel's body. I wake with a start and covered in sweat. Nightmares haven't bothered me in years. But this one unnerved me. I take deep breathes, trying to slow my racing heart. It refuses to slow. 

I don't think I could live through losing someone I care about again. If Kate hadn't been with me, I don't think I could have handled losing our pack. Hell, I wouldn't have made it out of there without her. Losing her one short year later was very hard on me. Killing rogues, the people responsible for their deaths, helped me cope. I know it's a very unhealthy way to deal but it was all I have. 

"I promise Kate the packs killers will be punished. Then, I can finally join you, Mom, and Dad." I whisper, the wind blowing my voice away. I look through the leaves and see dawn approaching. Better get moving. I carefully maneuver my way to the ground. I use the surrounding trees to help me move, my right leg being nothing but dead weight. 

My ears strain to hear any out of the usual noises. Even when I hear nothing, my body stays tense. I see a little creek up ahead and limp over to it. I use the cold water to watch the dried blood from my hands and face. I strip of my shirt and try to wash the red from it. Most of it comes out and I put it back out, shivering at how cold it is. I stare down at my reflection. I shouldn't look like this. Not so much like my mother who wouldn't hurt anyone. Not gentle. My face is a lie. I have killed. Why do I look innocent? I just washed blood off my hands and you would never guess it was there in the first place. 

I smile down at myself, trying to see if that too looks normal. It doesn't. At least that does not lie. That shows I am not as ordinary as my appearance. It looks forced and too big. It makes my eyes squint in an unusual way. I take a closer look at my green eyes. Ah, when you look close enough, you can see they lack life. My smile and eyes are what tells the truth about me. I hit the water, rippling my reflection, and continue on my way.

●●●●●
Axel
●●●●●

"Still want to be my mate, Axel?" Kris asks. I look at her in horror. Blood splatter on her face and clothes, and her hands drip with red. Kris's eyes glow a violent green and I am at a loss for words. I am finally seeing the rogue in her. The one who has been alone for ten years. I just watched her kill countless of rogues without a weapon, and I still was not afraid. But now, I am not so sure. 

Kris's hair flows around her, making her look like a goddess. The goddess of death. My mate is terrifying and yet I still feel the need to protect her. Kris runs through the fight, easily dodging rogues and pack fighters. 

I yell after her, trying to follow her but get blocked off. I see a flash of red hair before disappears into the dark forest. Then, Kris is gone. I hear laughing from the field and look around, wondering who dare laugh. I see the rogue Kris talked to. I seethe with anger and march over to him, I grab him be the collar and pick him off the ground.

"Never seen her run from a fight." He says with a smirk. I growl at him.

"What do you know of her?" I ask him, snarling. He laughs at me and I tighten my grip on his throat.

"What everyone knows of the Rogue Hunter. That she is a very angry girl." I finger nails begin to change, becoming longer, sharper. They start to cut into his skin. I feel myself starting to lose control of my actions. I let out a low, dangerous growl. Warning him not to test me, the rogue's eyes start to show the fear he should have felt earlier.

"I want my mate back, and you better tell me where she went." I suggest to him. 

"I don't know! She just disappears! You won't see her again!" Madness creeps into his voice. I snarl at him and through him to my men. They will lock him up and try to get answers from him. I stare at the forest. She's gone once more. I found her once and I'll find her again. I'm her mate, not matter what we will always find each other. That doesn't stop my worrying though, Kris is injured, unarmed, and alone. She may be the Rogue Hunter but how much can she take? She has proven she is strong, I just want her back in my arms.

Word Count: 1,074

Date Published: 10/22/16

Remember to vote and comment! 

I'll update every Saturday from now on and if this book gets enough attention, I might start setting comment/vote goals and if they are met, I'll update that day or the next while also updating on Saturdays. So, tell your friends to read The Rogue Hunter!