Chapter Two: A Part to Play

"Alpha, the two dead rogues we found are right over here." Jason informs me as I walk up to him and two other of my men. I nod and continue in that direction until I see two lifeless rogues. They look rabid.
       "Cause of death was one stab between the eyes. I am assuming the killer was in a tree making it hard for me to find out the gender of the assailant. They took the blades. And though there is little evidence, I'm guessing its the Rogue Hunter. The Lakers Pack stumbled upon a group of slaughtered rogues not long ago, the way they were killed pointed to him. I'm going to make a safe bet that he was traveling when he was found by these two. In a hurry, he made short work of them." Tayten suggests. Tayten's guess could very well be true. And though the Rogue Hunter has only ever targeted rogues, I don't like him near my pack.
       He obviously is very well skilled and that makes him a threat. If we find him we are suppose to take him to the Council. But he has made it very difficult to catch him. The Rogue Hunter is a well known killer and thief. He has stolen from packs all around numerous times, no one finding out until morning.
       "So what's the plan, Alpha?" My Beta, Brek, asks me. He is a brown haired man that as dark, dark, eyes and is about my height. Usually he isn't much of a talker.
       "Were there any unfamiliar scents found in the area when you first arrived?" I inquire, if someone here smelt him we might be able to track him. Brek thinks for a moment, trying to conjure up everything he smelt when he found the rouges.
       "I don't think so. All I could smell were those rotten rogues. They all smell the same to me." Brek replies. I sigh and rub my hand over my face. These rogues were killed far too close to my territory. We need to get this Rogue Hunter before he gets too close to the pack.
       "Send patrols in a one hundred meter radius. There has to be a sign of him some where. He can't be that good." I order. I let Brek break the men into four groups. I'm leading the east patrol, Brek the North, Reese the South, and Noah the west. My gamma Jax is staying with the pack in case of an emergency.
       I silently wonder if twenty-five men is enough if we do find the Rogue Hunter. I quickly dismiss the thought of failure. My men are well trained, the Rogue Hunter won't stand a chance. There is no way he'll be able to beat us.
        "Alpha, I smell a something odd." Tysin mind links me.
       "What do you smell?" I ask him.
       "Blood." He replies. I take a deep breath and smell it. I was right, he messed up. He might be smart enough to hide his scent but has the smell of those rogues blood on him. We follow the faint smell to a large tree. The lowest branch has to be at least thirty feet high, along with all the surrounding trees.

●●●●●
Kristine
●●●●●

       There are men at my tree. How the heck did they track me? I hid my scent! I glare down at them as I try to figure everything out. My blades. I forgot to clean my blades. They tracked the blood smell. Rookie mistake.
       How do I get out of this? I could kill them all but I smell the similar scent on all of them. They are a pack. The council would be after my head if I killed them. I silently slip on my cargo jacket and put on the hood before slinging my duffel over my back.
       I look for a way out. I could jump to another tree but that would confirm to them that I am here and the chances of a fall is very likely. If I broke my leg, it would be difficult to run away. I take a blade and twirl it on my figure, it helps me think.
       "Think he is up there, Alpha?" Someone from the group down on the ground asks. Great, an Alpha is down there. The world is screwing with me today. I search the stances of everyone down there. A man with black short hair and stubble jaw is the obvious alpha. He stands straight with an annoyed look that makes me smirk. He doesn't know how to get up here or that I am for sure up here. If I can wait them out, I might be able to get out of this.
       "I think he is. If he is as smart as everyone claims, he's trying to fool us into leaving." He replies. Dang it. Wait, they said he. They think I'm a man. They think I'm a man. They think I'm a man! I can use this to my advantage. I stop spinning my blade.

      "Help! Please help me!" I cry down to them. I smirk when I see there startled expressions.
       "Alpha, is there a woman up there?" Someone asks. I watch the Alpha who is looking up with wide worried eyes.
       "Ma'am, are you alright?" He yells up.
       "I.... I think so!" I say with a wavery voice.
       "Is the one who put up up there gone?" He asks.
       "Yes! He... He left!" I answer. I roll my eyes at this act. I rub my eyes to make them red and watery.
       "Can you get down?" He inquires, worried. I hate that this is my only option.
       "I.... I think I can!" I reply. I hate acting so weak.
       "Then please make your way down." He orders. I remove my bag and tuck it back with my stuff. I leave my blades hidden on the inside of my belt. I begin my slow doesn't down the tree. I make sure my hair looks a bit messy and that I look scared. When I reach the lowest branch I look down looking scarred.
       "You can jump! I gotcha!" A burly man with blonde hair says. I nod and jump. If he doesn't catch me, I'm abandoning my act and whooping their asses. He catches me and I slide out of his arms and away from all of them.
       "Are you sure you are okay, miss?" Someone asks. I make sure to keep my eyes down, they take that as docile and weak. I nod my head slowly.
       "Lets take her back to the house, he is obviously long gone." The alpha orders. Someone puts a comforting arm around me and I reluctantly lean into them. The first chance I get, I'm leaving.

●●●●●
Axel
●●●●●

       Ernie catches the red haired girl with ease. She looks completely terrified, poor girl. Once we get her home and comfortable, I will have to ask her questions about her captor. Markus wraps his arms around her frail shoulders and she leans into him. He sends me a concerned look before looking back down at her.
       Why did he put her in a tree? Where did he go? What did he do to her? She is a beautiful girl, no doubt about that. And rogues are known for being insane, I worry about what he is capable of. I just hope we got here before he could harm her.

Word Count: 1,231
Date Published: 7/15/16
Remember to vote and comment