Chapter Six: Manners?

●●●●●
Kristine
●●●●●

       I wake up in a strange room feeling very drowsy. The scent assaults my nose, making me feel rather calm. I can't seem to shake off the obvious drugs in my system. But on instinct, my hand curls around where my blades should be. When I find nothing, it wakes me up. I shoot up and search my body for my weapons. My heart drops when I find nothing. At the foot of the bed, I see my bag. I lunge for it, nearly falling off the bed with my heavy limbs. I dig through the duffel and find nothing. They de-armed me.
       I feel so exposed without my blades. So defenseless. I rummage through my bag again, skimming my hand along the liner, looking for the small tear I put in it. I take out a faded picture and trace the edges of it. At least they didn't take this. Sorrow takes place in my heart so I quickly tuck the photo back into the bag.  Voices out side the door make me slide out of the bed, being careful not to make a sound. I go to the window to find it locked. So I make my way to the door.
       "What are we going to do? We can't just keep her here. She's the Rogue Hunter!" Someone exclaims. "Maybe we can keep on drugging her..."
       "You are not drugging her, Jax! Do you want to die? She would have a completely justified excuse!" A very familiar voice chimes in with a growl.
       "Don't listen to him, Axel. He's a numbskull." A different person says. I put my hand on the door knob and realize someone cleaned my hands. I ease the door open and see three men looking as if they were just caught with their hands in the cookie jar. The alpha, the blond haired man from before, and a brown haired man I have never seen before. I look at them, leaning my shoulder into the door frame to take the weight off my hurt leg.
       "You drugged me." I state to them. The man I don't recognize face turns to one of embarrassment.
       "Yeah, sorry..." He says. I lock my eyes on the alpha and cross my arms over my chest.
       "And you shot me." I tell him. He reaches back and scratches his neck. An expression I do not know takes place on his face.
       "Sorry...." The alpha mumbles.
       "Both are cowardly ways to face an opponent." I sneer. A man that faces an enemy with the likes of guns or drugs are no real opponent.
       "You are a blunt girl." The blond comments. My gaze shifts to him. These three gave left me injured, drugged, and unarmed.
       "I would like to leave now. Unlike you three, I have work I need to do." I inform them. They share a look before looking back to me.
       "The Rogue Hunter is basically telling us we are lazy and she has work to do... Anyone got a response to that?" Blonde asks.
       "Nope. Still a little surprised that she has 'work' to do." The other man responds. I silently snarl at them.
       "Do you two really want to anger her? You get her mad, then I get mad..." The alpha says to them. They stop their silent mocking of me. The alpha turns to me. "And I cannot allow you to go."
       "You don't understand." I hiss. "You can't keep me here. I need to go." The alpha sends me an amused look. I want to smack him.
       "Guess we should properly introduce ourselves, I am Alpha Axel Colbot, these two are my Beta and Gamma. Brek Ulkess and Jax Dacker." Axel informs me. They all send me an expecting look.
       "Now its your turn to introduce yourself." Jax tells me.
       "Why?" I retort. I see no point in telling them my name. The whole werewolf community probably thinks I am dead, and whoever killed my pack most likely doesn't know I am still alive. If I told them my name, they would run a background on me and then be able to tell the Council that there is one last Farwell pack member still living. And I'd prefer they not know that.
       "Because of a thing called manners." Jax replies.
       "Manners? You do realize you are talking to a rogue, right? When have you ever heard of a rogue with manners?" I ask. Axel sighs.
       "Do I really need to get a DNA sample to run through the system?" He questions. I stare at him. That would be worse, that would immediately inform the Council. I sigh in defeat.
       "Kris."
       "Just Kris?" Axel inquires.
       "Yes, 'just Kris' you are still dealing with a rogue." I remind him. "Now how can I get it through your thick skulls that I need to leave?" I ask.
       "You can't, Kris-Kris. Our skulls are far to thick." Jaxe responds. I feel the urge to strangle him. He gave me a nickname. I growl.
       "Then how long till the Council gets here? And don't call me that." I question. I am not afraid to die, if the Council comes to kill me then so be it. But they can sure as hell bet I am not going down without a fight. I am the only one in the world who cares about the Farwell pack and wants to find out what happened. I watch the three men share a look.
       "They aren't coming.... You are my mate. I can't just hand you over to the Council. My pack is willing to protect you no matter what." Axel informs me. That shocks me.
       "Your pack is going to hide a famous killer? Did you people not see what I did to those rogues when they got in my way? Your pack is going to hide me? What makes you think I won't kill people?" I question him. My eyes boring into his. Daring him. Taunting him.
       "Yes. And we will keep you safe. You have never killed any pack members before, I don't think you will start now." Axel replies without batting an eye.
       "And why won't I? Your kind has never gotten in my way before, now you are. I get rid of things that are in my way." He hesitates for a second. Taken back by my words. Axel can't tell if I will make good on my threat, he obviously doesn't want to believe it but he still has to consider it. I don't know if I'll kill pack members either. I know what it's like to lose your family. I've already lost mine. But when it comes down to it, my family means more to me than strangers. Once I have the answers and revenge I need, they can send me to the gallows for their revenge, I won't even fight them.

Word Count: 1,132
Date Published: 7/19/16
Remember to vote and comment!