Chapter Fifteen: Sleeping Arrangements

"I get the bed. You get the couch." I growl at Axel. He stands across the bed from me, arms crossed and jaw locked.
       "We are mates, Kris. We can share a bed." Axel replies in a low tone. I cross my arms and narrow my eyes.
       "The last two nights you've slept in the same bed as me. Both times I woke up trapped, I don't like being cuddled." I snarl. Axel opens his mouth then closes it, repeats the process then glares at me. Axel snatches a pillow from the bed and marches towards the couch. I smirk in victory before heading to the bathroom to shower. I feel like one is long over do. I smell like a pack.
       I grab the some clothes from the closet as the water warms up. Axel huffs at me as he puts blankets on the small couch. Could I have fit comfortably on it? Yes. But the bed is more comfortable, and I knew it would annoy him. Ain't I a sweetie? I lock the bathroom door and strip, leaving my clothes in the hamper. Not like there are mine anyway.
       After a long shower, I feel much better. Less stressed. I wring my hair out before drying myself with the towel. I shrug on sports bra and panties before a loose grey shirt and black leggings. I brush my teeth and loosely braid my hair down my back. It's weird having a constant place to sleep. Usually I don't stay in the same place more than one night, two or three nights if I'm close to a target. Even when Katy was with me, we stayed on the move. I'm lucky she was in training, Katherine is the only reason we lasted a year. I wouldn't have gotten out of there that night, let alone made it as a rogue. She would have already got revenge for us, it wouldn't have took her ten years.
       Without me dragging her down, I'm sure she would have gotten the answers in that year. For fifteen year old, she could have done anything she set her mind to. Except not be brave. If she had left me that day, she would still be alive. Katy was a shifter, she could run fast. Faster than I could have. If I died that day, she could have done so much more. Avenged all of us, found her mate, been happy. I can't even do the first one.
       I sigh and leave the bathroom. I can still do my best to find those killers, even if it takes my last breath to do so. Axel lays curled up on the couch, his exposed shoulder informing me that he is not wearing a shirt. He opens one eye but it remains squinted against the light of the bathroom. I flick the switch and am encased in darkness, I blink a few times and am able to see well enough to begin the journey towards the bed.
       "Your bag is at the foot of the bed." Axel grumbles, shifting his weight. I squat down and unzip the bag. I easily find the picture and take it out. The small amount of light coming from the lights above both night tables makes the picture a little more visible. Strange how much time has passed since this picture.... I tuck it back in the ripped seam and crawl into bed. It's strange that eleven years ago my dad and mom were tucking me in and wishing me goodnight. I never would have guessed this is where I would be today. But I can't imagine me in any different reality. This is who I am, what I do.
       "Goodnight, Kris." Axel tells me from the couch.
       "Goodnight." I automatically respond. As the word leaves my mouth I realize I answered. I haven't had anyone to say goodnight to in years, how can that still be an automatic response? I roll onto my side and pull the blankets past my shoulders to my neck. All snuggled up, but I still feel cold. I tuck my cold feet as close as I can to me and try to sleep.
       Minutes later, I open my eyes. Why can't I sleep? I can sleep in a tree for God's sake. Here I am in a comfy bed, better than what I am used to, and I can't sleep. I huff and roll around, suddenly uncomfortable. My toed are ice, my body is refusing to corporate, and I'm tired. I hear Axel moving around on the couch, seems he also can't sleep.
       Could I not be sleeping because....? No. There is no way I am having trouble sleeping because of that. Maybe it's too quiet... Yeah, that must be it. Sleeping in the woods you hear all sorts of animals. And the wind! The wind its self can be loud enough to make one deaf. But I always preferred the quiet nights.
Goddess damn it, Kris! Stop talking yourself out of logical reasons you can't sleep!
You just miss his body heat, that's it. Nothing more. You got used to someone warming your toes.
       Angrily, I huff and roll out if the middle of the bed. He's going to read into this.... Who the hell cares? He can think what he wants. I know that I am only wanting to use him for his body heat. And that's all that matters.
       "Axel, you can sleep in the bed with me." I say, my voice seeming loud in the quiet room. I hear the creaking of the couch and the shuffling of blankets as Axel sits up.
       "You serious?" He asks in disbelief. I huff at him.
       "No, of course not. Yes, I'm serious. Or at least I..." Before I can say another word Axel is plopping down next to me. I glare at him when he makes me bounce because of the sudden weight on his side of the bed. I can tell I just made a huge mistake. I'll deal with it in the morning. Being the little jerk that I am, I stick my cold feet under his unsuspecting legs while still remaining on my side. He hisses at the coldness and I grin.
      "What are you made of? Ice?" Axel inquires. I shrug.
      "No, just my heart. An ice heart pumps cold blood, the reason my toes are cold." I reply. Even though it's dark, I can tell Axel's glaring at me. Well, someone doesn't appreciate my humor. I feel someone grab my hand right before I am yanked to Axel. My head hits his chest and I glare up at him.
       "Damn, your hands are cold too." Axel comments, bringing both my hands into his warm ones. I continue to glare at him as I attempt to pull myself free. When I make no lead way, I growl. I fight rogues and I can't get out of one man's hold? What am I? Pathetic? "Don't fight me. I'm warming your cold appendages." Axel argues. I sigh and give up. I'm cold, he's warm. I can deal with this for one night. Tomorrow I'll order him to make the room warmer. Axel rests his chin on top of my head and sighs, fanning me with his breath. I narrow my eyes at his chest. Big mistake, indeed. I'm warm, but at what cost? Cuddling with the buffoon who insists he is my mate.

●●●●●
Axel
●●●●●

       She invited me to sleep with her. And here I was beginning to give up hope. I was slightly pleased to hear her tossing and turning and huffing. That meant she was having trouble sleeping too. What I didn't expect when I crawled into bed was for her to stuff ice cubes under my legs. But that did give me and excuse to pull her closer, if her feet were that cold, I could bet her hands would be too.
       I don't need to but I scent her, blowing air all over her hair. Now no one will doubt I have staked claim on Kris. She may not bear my mark but now she smells like me. She huffs against my chest and I still. Is she scenting me? No, Kris wouldn't do that. I relax and drape an arm over her waist, the other hand still holding her two cold ones. Kris was probably annoyed and did it on accident, but I can't help but feel a tad bit giddy. Now females will know I have a mate.
       Kris's breathing becomes regular, informing me that she fell asleep. I grin, she couldn't sleep but within moments of being in my arms, she is sleeping soundly. Kris still can't deny our bond after this, can she? She invited me over here. That's a start. At least I'm off that compact couch. Goddess, that thing was uncomfortable. I sleepily grin and tuck the arm that was warming Kris's hand under her and hug her. One day... you'll accept me. I just have to wait.
       As much as I want to stay awake and enjoy holding her, Kris's scent lulls me to sleep. And I drift off to sleep. Dreams of a future life with Kris greet me.

Word Count: 1,538

Date Published: 11/25/16

Sorry I didn't update yesterday, I was sick. Remember to vote and comment!