Chapter Three: The Escape

"You sure you are okay, dear?" The elderly woman asks me for the hundredth time. She seems like one of the grandmothers who bakes cookies for the whole pack. Her sweetness is overwhelming and annoying.
      "I'm fine." I answer, forcing a small smile. She pats my head before giving me a kind smile and leaving. Thank the Moon Goddess.
      "May I ask you some questions, ma'am?" The Alpha asks me from the doorway. I take a deep breath before putting on the scared girl act. I hesitantly nod, keeping my eyes on the ground.
      "Why did the Rogue Hunter kidnap you? Who should we contact for you? Can you tell me what he looks like?" He asks in a jumble as he takes a seat in front of me.
      "I... I don't know. And no body.... I'm an orphan. I'm sorry but no. He kept a hood on the entire time.... I am so sorry that I can't help." I say, bowing my head even more. A hand reaches out to cover mine and shocks me. I look up with wide eyes at the man in front of me. His shock matches my own.
      "Mate...." He growls in surprise. The one time I get caught.
      "I... I think you are mistaken." I reply, honestly shocked beyond belief. I'm not meant to have a mate. I am supposed to be a mateless, faceless, and nameless rogue. I'm not compatible with any person.
      "I do not think I am, Mate." He says. I need to get out of this place, fast.
      "If you don't mind, I'm kind of tired. I'd like to go to sleep." I inform him. His blue eyes darken with what I guess is anger for me halting the conversation.
      "Of course." Alpha replies, leaving the room. "Goodnight." He tells me as he closes the door. I wait until the heavy sound of his footsteps are out of hearing range. I throw the blankets of me and let my feet silently hit the ground. I slip my jacket on and go to the window. It easy slides open and I remove the screen. I pause for a heartbeat, and hear nothing.
       I climb out the window and drop. My shoes hit the ground with almost no noise and I smirk. Goodbye suckers. I silently and swiftly run. I make sure I am untraceable this time. Not a single smell they can track.
      "Looks like I'm running again." I mumble to myself as I grab my stuff from my tree. Damn, I was so close to the mother load. An actual organized group. They could have given me answers. But I can't risk the council catching me.
      I hear a loud, angry, howl from the direction of the pack I just left. Someone just found out I am missing. Too bad I will be long gone in a matter of minutes. I sling my bag over my back. I decide to leave the other things. Lantern, sleeping bag, cooler.
      Landing on the ground with a light thud, I run once again. One thing I have that the pack doesn't, speed. Running in a group will slow you down, running alone will always be faster. And they will most likely be an all male tracking group, they are not fast. Years of hiding and running have taught me that they are slow.
      I see the night fade to the early dawn light. In the distance, I hear the pounding of tired paws. They shifted. I am only slightly out of breath and have a light sweat covering me. I can smell a human town in front of me. Once I get there, I will blend in and the wolves won't be able to find me. They will have no chance.
      A few minutes later, I glide into the surprisingly busy streets. I pull my hood over my face and slow my pace to a normal walking speed. As I walk around, I find there is festival going on. It seems I have good timing. My sensitive ears pick everything. Babies crying, kids squealing, people laughing. And the smells! The foods, sweat, and just everything. If I separate the smells, it isn't bad but all together, its awful.
      "Cold lemonade! A dollar for a cup!" Someone yells to the crowd. Other benders also call to the masses, trying to get them to buy there food, drinks, or trinkets.
      A small child runs into my leg, nearly knocking me off balance. She apologizes before running off, her parents running after her. I stare after them for a moment before continuing through the crowd.
      I see a little inn up ahead and make my way to it. I could use a nap and a shower. The lobby is empty besides a middle aged woman standing behind the counter.
      "What can I do for you, dear?" She asks.
      "How much for a room?" I reply with a question. She gives me a smile.
      "Twenty-five dollars for a one bed room." She answers. I pull two tens and a five from my bag and hand them to her.
      "Thank you, you will be in room sixteen. Right down that hall." She says, handing over a pair of keys before pointing me in the right direction. I nod to her before going in search of my room. I don't look for long.
      The room is small but at least it has a en suite bathroom. I toss my bag onto the bed and lock the bedroom door. I opt to shower before going to sleep. At least this place is nicer than most motels I have stayed in. The water is warm.
      I shrug on some clothes before curling up on the bed. Its mid day, but running all night without a wink of sleep has made me tired. My eyes fall shut and I drift to sleep.

●●●●●
Axel
●●●●●

      She's gone! She is missing! I can feel it. I run down to her room and throw her door open. Her bed is empty and the window open. I howl in anger to alert the pack of a missing person.
      "Alpha?" Someone asks from the door.
      "I want every warrior out there now! We need to find her!" I growl to him. He whimpers before running to tell the trackers.
      The Rogue Hunter must have kidnapped her. Why does he want MY mate? She is mine!
      "Alpha, we are ready to move out when you are." Jax mind links me. I hurry down to the first floor. I shift and my men follow.
      I can't smell her! I can't smell any scent! Maybe he went back to the tree! The chances are slim but there is still a chance.
      I still when I come to the tree. I look around, nothing. How can there be nothing on them? He can't just take my mate and disappear!
      "Spread out! Find the Rogue Hunter!" I order them through the link. They whimper, unable to help themselves, and follow my demands.

Word count:1,171
Date Published: July 16
Remember to vote and comment!