Chapter Sixteen: Unshed Tears

"Goddess dammit, Kris!" I growl at the woman who is refusing to tell me anything about herself. Kris sits across the desk for me, her face blank but some how still appearing smug.
       "I told you, if you know anything about me, They could find out. They killed an entire pack for no reason, what do you think they'll do when They find out you have a relative of the Farwell Pack who is looking for them?" She asks. I glare at her. I hate that she may have a point.
       "Is age really that dangerous of a thing?" I inquire of the beautiful red head. I think her lips twitch before she once again becomes blank.
       "Could be." Kris says with a shrug. I cross my arms and smirk.
       "Tell me something about yourself or I'll stop making calls." I threaten. I know it's a low blow but she's my mate. I should know more about her than just her first name. Kris narrows her eyes at me and purses her lips. I can see her mentally going through information, trying to decide what to tell me.
       "How bout I tell you nothing and stay here even though you have found nothing that I haven't?" Kris offers. My smirk falls, well that didn't work. And I pissed my mate off. Blackmail is something I should never try to use against her. Got it.
       "Alright, I'm sorry." I grumble. Kris flips a page in the book on her lap, ignoring me. A knock sounds through the room, drawing my attention from the angry red head.
       "I brought you lunch because I have been demoted from Beta to a maid." An annoyed Brek says through the door. I can't help the small chuckle that escapes me.
       "Come in." I tell him. The door opens to reveal a Brek who looks as annoyed as he sounded. He holds a trey with one hand. Brek, Jax, and Luca are the only males I would even think about letting near my unmarked mate.
       "Next time you need someone to bring food, have Jax do it." I chuckle.
       "Kris seems to hate Jax. I thought it in both their in interests to keep them far away from one another." I tell him. I feel Kris's glare falls on me once again, Goddess, I need to stop angering her. I'm trying to get her to like me.
       "Oh, so you introduce me into the line of fire?" Brek asks me as he sets the trey down between Kris and I.
       "Males are so childish and petty." Kris mumbles but we still hear her. She intently stares at the book, obviously ignoring Brek and I. I open my mouth but the phone ringing makes me shut it.
       "Alpha Colbot here." I tell the person, staring at Kris, hoping she'll look up.
       "Hi, I'm Luna Tyler. I'm returning your call from yesterday." A woman tells me. I snap to attention. The Harna pack was the one pack I couldn't get a hold of yesterday.
       "Yes, yes. I was calling about an old pack you were allied with. The Farwell Pack?" I ask her, I hear her hum as she types on something.
       "Ah, yes. They were the infamous massacre I heard of. I don't know what I can help you with. My father was the Alpha at that time. I only know what must be common knowledge. May I inquire as to why and what you want to know?" Luna Tyler questions.
       "I was just going through some old files and realized how little there is on that case." I reply, noticing I now have the attention of my mate and that Brek has left the room.
       "Huh, there is very little on it." She says.
       "Can you recall if they had an enemies that you know of?" I ask.
       "As I told you Alpha Colbot, I was not leading the pack back then. It was my father and he passed two years ago."
       "I am sorry for your loss, but that pack lost all their members. Including entire families. Try to remember if your father said anything or if there something in any of your files. That pack deserves some justice." There is a long pause after that.
       "You're right. They do deserve that. I'll do some digging and see what I find." Luna Tyler tells me before hanging up. This is the first time we haven't gotten a direct 'no' on anything related to that pack.
       "Looks like we might be getting somewhere." I point out to Kris. She huffs, clearly still angry with me. I don't know why what I said has angered her so much. Maybe she's just short tempered and holds grudges. She plucks a sandwich from the trey. I didn't know someone could look as annoyed as she does eating. One step forward, five steps back.