Chapter Nine: Rogues

"You were freaking prophesied! Damn, the Goddess gave me an extraordinary mate!" Axel exclaims snapping out of his trance. I growl loudly at him.

"Do you want to see how far you can push me before I stab you in the throat with a pencil?" I snarl. Axel just laughs at me. 

"No one has ever killed their mate. It is impossible." He states, I stare at him with cold eyes.

"We aren't mates. It would be as easy as killing a rogue." I tell Axel. His smile drops and he frowns at me.

"You can't reject the mate pull for long, Kris. It isn't healthy." Axel informs me. I just glare at him. Boredom or anger is a deadly with me and I am currently both. This man has passed the limits of my tolerance and has begun to push me towards murdering an alpha. 

"I suppose you want to know about the prophecy-"

"Actually, I don't." 

"All the oracles had the same vision about a hundred years ago." Axel continues. I roll my eyes and prepare to be annoyed by storytelling Axel. "They had begun to say the same thing; everyone wrote down what they were saying. In short, they had prophesied that someone will come and punish the betrayers, and rule the honest. They said that their hands will be stained red and they will have to draw more, if they wish to take lead, they will sacrifice. Rather confusing but it seems to have made sense to them. Since you are the prophesied one, do you know what is means?"

"No. Not a clue, because I am not the prophesied one that you think I am. How many times are we going to argue about that? If you payed attention, you would know that I just told you I'm not her." I snarl. This male needs to take the cotton out of his ears. Maybe then he would get it through his head that I am not his mate and that I am also not the foretold one. Then, Axel would fear me like he should. A murderer should strike fear into everyone they cross, a person should not invite them in for tea and cookies. 

"Everyone thought the oracles had just gone crazy since a hundred years went by without a hint of the chosen one. Which could have been possible, the gifts of being a seer can take a toll on them. But here you are, Oracle recognized you from the prophecy." I growl at the idiot and launch a book at his head, he dodges. I hate him and I hate this place. 

It drags memories I want to be buried down to the surface. It reminds me of all I can't have. All that I have lost. This place would be a home for any wolf, anyone but me. I desire to be back in the trees, following tracks. I did not find happiness there but I felt I was at peace. This place makes me uneasy. There are families here, happy people. I'm not used to it.

"Axel, please let me go." I beg. I haven't begged for anything since I was a child, I don't like doing this but these people have made me want to find my family's killers more than ever. Axel looks at me with shocked, I am sure my eyes reflect pain that I don't want to show. His face softens and I want to hide.

"I can't do that Kris. Do you know how much it would hurt letting you walk out? I've spent years looking for you. It already hurts not being able to touch you, but to let you go, I don't know if I could handle that." He says. I close my eyes, then open them, staring into his blue eyes.

"You don't understand. I'm not just out there for the fun of it. I have something I need to do. I have been working towards that goal for ten years. You would never understand it; you have everything a wolf could ever want. I don't want anything here; I've already had it." I tell him, giving him the most information I have since meeting him. I look away from his probing eyes and look out the window behind him. "I can't be your mate or the prophesied one, I can only be the Rogue Hunter. I put my life on the line every day, that is how I live. You live in the shelter of a pack, you protect others, you don't know the horrors out there. And I hope you never do. You want to know why all rogues go crazy? They can't live without depending on someone else. I don't even think I am sane anymore. Killing at the ripe age of nine is not normal."

"Moon Goddess, nine? Really Kris?" Axel asks, I hate the tone of his voice. Its full of pity, shock, sorrow. I lock eyes with him once again. All emotion locked away.

"Killing is how I get what I want. Those rogues laughed at me when I came up to them, murder in my eyes. But they still came to fight me. Not one of them is alive. I did that as a child. I have years of experience now. Do you really think taking my weapons is enough to stop me? An injured leg? I've been a rogue a long time, I'm not as defenseless as you think. I'll ask you one more time, let me leave or I'll kill everyone who gets in my way." He looks at me in surprise. I stare back, making sure to keep my face blank, my voice steady, and my eyes cold. Before he can say anything, the doors fly open. He doesn't glance at the person for a moment.

"Alpha there is a problem." Brek says, huffing. I turn to face him and catch the scent of wolves.
"You have a very big problem. There is nearly fifty of them. Even with a pack as large as this one, you will suffer huge casualties." I state. Brek looks at me with wide eyes.

"Is she right, Brek?" Axel inquires. The brown haired man numbly nods.

"You have no choice but to let me fight. I know the way a rogue's mind works. Neither of you do. They are insane and impulsive." I tell them. Not giving them time to reply, I take off through the doors. My leg burns with this sudden use of it but I use the pain to fuel me. Everything becomes heightened. I smell them, feel them, and am ready to attack before I even make it out of the house. I see a window down the hall. They are right out there. I jump.

"Kris!" Axel shouts as the glass breaks. Below me there are the pack fighters lined up to fight, but they are waiting for orders. The stench of filth is stronger out here, but I am used to it. I roll when I land, being careful to not hurt my leg more. Everyone looks at me shocked, even the rogues.
"Move." I growl at the men in front of me. They move out of my way, terrified. I come face to face with the rogues and recognize one of them. He stands tall next to the rest, a sick smile doesn't hide the flicker of terror in his eyes.

"Rogue Hunter, we meet again. I heard you were dead." He says. I keep walking till I am right in front of him. I lean in to whisper.

"You heard wrong, and I'm very angry, Noah." I tell him. I back off and see the horror on his face.

"You can't take us all down. You are limping, obviously you are hurt." Noah replies, smirking to hide his fear. I turn to walk away but swing my good leg around to kick him in the chest. I hear the sound of bones breaking as my foot connects, he is knocked back taking some of his rogues with him. It wasn't enough to kill him, but he won't be moving for a long time. I can feel the power surging through me, and a sick twisted smile forms on my face. Every rogue stands shocked. That is until they attack. I hear yelling from behind me but block it out. 

Rogues come at me all at once. It was a smart move but not enough to gain any lead way. I snap necks along with other limbs. Soon blood slick my hands. My hair flows into my face but does not hinder me. I use my hands to puncture holes into rogues, coating my hands with red liquid. Someone sends a kick to my injured leg, I growl loudly and snap my head towards them. I pull my lips back into a snarl and watch the terror form on the man's face. I snap his neck.

"Kris!" Axel shouts I turn to face him. I know there is blood on my face and my hands drip with it. His face is full of an unknown emotion.

"Still want to be my mate, Axel?" I ask him. I run fast and hard. My leg screams in pain but I ignore it. I've been in worse. I feel a painful tugging in my heart, I know the reason but chalk it to being reminded of my pack.

Word Count: 1,570
Date Published: 10/10/16
Remember to vote and comment!