Book 6⌇2. I'm an Assassin For a Reason

Chapter 2 ∣  I'm an Assassin for a Reason

-Adrasteia

The wolves have started to become bolder. Arranging their strategies and ever so slowly edging their way toward the coven I belonged to.

It cut me deep, spending my life hiding within the shadows of the night, my inherited ability to dematerialize at any given moment. Though, when I melded with the shadows, my life flickered out, those who are connected to me think my life has come to an end. Though I hardly spoke to the coven, when I was dematerialized, I could tap into the thoughts of others, slowly learning and understanding more about them.

They could feel my prying, normal humans or hunters were completely susceptible. If they so wished, they would easily block me, but there were those that welcomed my familiar outreach.

Inside of the coven walls, I only appear when I sleep, my one true comfort is that of spending those fleeting and brief moments with my beloved, Landon. I love my beloved, the only way I continue to hold my position is knowing I'm not only keeping everyone else safe but watching over him is my gift.

I know he silently curses my trait; I hear it in his thoughts when he assumes, I am not around. It can be hard when I can't spend the time, I need to with him.

Our love should be stronger-but it isn't.

Oh, and to make matters worse...he's the coven leader, so yes, our portrayal of a solid bond doesn't come across so naturally. The pureblood vampire I'd come to know did drift every now and then, his thoughts slowly fading away when shutting me out. With that in mind, I've slowly come to resent my trait, but if I backed off for even a moment, our coven would be overrun.

This feud...a rogue pureblood vampire, sparked this entire war between werewolves and vampires. The Alpha King wanted his head as payment, but for some reason his parents stood behind him, allowing for this fighting to escalate.

If the vampire king and queen were smarter, they would have raised their son better-I mean...who the hell just goes out and kills for fun?

Anyways...

It was the commander's job to watch over and give orders when Landon wasn't there. It was in my innate nature to respect this individual, but I harbored a slight resentment.

It was her, who was able to speak freely with Landon. It was her, who walked about the coven and with her physical presence, showing just how strong and well trained her and her soldiers were.

Cleo was another pureblood, her short white hair was usually braided to just above her shoulder blades, her amber eyes holding more emotion then I could ever reflect.

The wind was a gentle and warm breeze, the summer air provided natural warmth while the moonlight shone down upon my stilled form.

After crushing the slight beating heart of the werewolf, I let it slip from my hand, landing on the green grass with a thud. The blood hand began to stain the blades, the rustling of the grass from the wind put me at ease.

"I'll be home soon, Landon..." I breathed out his name gently, already aching to see him, but the sun still had a few more hours of slumber, and so I would remain ever vigilant.

Landon?

Yes, love?

Two more nearly crossed through the park, they're becoming bolder, drawing closer.

It'll be alright. I spoke with Cleo tonight, we have an idea as to how to draw out the pack near our home, hopefully ending their lives and giving us some breathing room.