Book 6⌇10. Reality Bites

Chapter 10 ∣  Reality Bites

-Adrasteia

Groaning, I rubbed my forehead while I tried to sit up. Exhaustion had turned into immense fatigue, as I'd never experienced anything like that in my life. I wasn't talking about almost having sex with the tall drink of water that somehow managed to take me away from Earth and brought me to 'Hell'...

No, whatever he did to me, it felt like he was taking away every bit of energy I had. My will to stay conscious quickly faded, as it wasn't vicious, but almost a peaceful way to disappear.

Why had he come on to me in just the blink of an eye? I didn't even know his name, but I'm one hundred percent sure he was the one I dreamed of that night. Everything I had thought would happen in my life, came crashing down around me. My beloved claiming another, my trust in him was shattered, my faithfulness was rewarded with betrayal.

I don't know what to think anymore.

He saved me?

Why should I be grateful for that?

Now I must live every day with the pain of losing Landon. Your beloved was your other half, someone no one else could compare to...I'd never find someone like him.

It'll be easier if I can just sneak around.

Closing my eyes and sitting completely up, I tried to reach out to the shadows, the one part of me that had always remained loyal to me. However, I winced when I felt something restraining me, keeping me away from my escape. Frustration overtook me...this...thing, couldn't possibly know about what I can do...could he?

"We need to talk," the deep husky voice once again sent shivers down my spine, only this time, the pleasantness remained when I snapped my eyes open. He sat in a chair on the other side of the room, his ebony hair just barely reaching in front of his gray eyes, his sharp features bringing out something in me that was foreign.

Why is he making me feel this way?

He kissed me, so simply and I gave way, allowing myself to lose a part of my control to just taste for a moment...something I should have experienced a long time ago. Landon...kept me from ever feeling any sense of passion or dare I say, love? What he was doing to me...wasn't love. He was selfish and betrayed me, making me look like a fool forever believing in him, forever trusting in him.

His eyes regarded me with curiosity and that's when I felt something around my neck. I slowly brought my right hand up to my neck, my fingertips brushing the cold metal of a silver choker.

More like a collar...

Calling it something different doesn't change the meaning behind it. He trapped me here...I'm a prisoner...but why? If he saved me, why wouldn't he just let me go? Am I his spoils of victory?

"Adrasteia," when he spoke my name it felt so smooth leaving his lips, my eyes drifting from the covers and looking into his.

"How do you know who I am?" I asked, letting my fingertips fall away from the silver, comprehending that this was his way of containing everything that made me who I am...including my inherited gift. "Who are you? No...what are you?"

He crossed his arms and stated, "I expected as much. My name is Keegan and I'm the King of the Dominion Plane, a portion of Hell." He stood from his chair, his dark slacks clinging to his well-built body, his shirt reflected his eyes, only it was a slightly darker shade. "As for what I am," he now stood across from me, leaning against the wall, "I'm an incubus."

"I don't know what that is," I pulled the covers closer to my body, not wanting any part of him to touch me again, afraid of surrendering my control and possibly all of myself to him. In my head, I was still meant for Landon...I couldn't shake the thought away and it was beginning to hurt my heart all over again.