Book 6⌇16. He'll Never Change

Chapter 16 ∣  He'll Never Change

-Adrasteia

I can't believe him!

Tilting my head to the side, I attempted to block out what was being said and how eyes were drifting to my body. The one thing I had come to enjoy quite a bit, was the warmth that emanated from the floor.

I'm never going to live where there is marble flooring again. Now, I do feel spoiled, enjoying the heat that it does have to offer, considering these demons don't like to wear shoes that often. With a floor as warm as this one, I can't blame them.

Actually...I can.

Keegan and I had composed ourselves. He was seated on his throne, Tyco standing to his right, while I stood to his left, looking around the large room absentmindedly. Keegan wore dark slacks and a nice maroon button-up shirt. That ebony hair of his was styled just right, his gray eyes sweeping the room with each new order of business that arouses.

While he could wear normal people clothes, I cringed inwardly at the very little selection I had. Complements of Keegan, I was mortified, as he had taken away my underwear, just leaving my bra beneath the new slim dark shorts and halter top I'd adorned after showering away the smell of my arousal that permeated his bedroom.

"Their attacks are growing more frequent with your selection of a...wife," one of the demons spoke up and I finally caught onto the conversation. He was wearing nice clothes, probably someone of importance that I neither cared to pay attention to nor act like a bitch too. For the moment that is.

Keegan arched a brow and asked, "And why is that so?"

The demon who had made this comment did look much older than many who were present in the room. He nodded his head and asked, "If I may?"

Keegan held no objections, the demon standing near the center of the room. His voice was loud, echoing off the tall standing walls, "It was before King Bram's time, most don't remember, or choose to forget, just like the vampires who walk the Earth now."

At the mention of the word vampires, this demon held my attention. My eyes narrowed on his form, seeing others quickly glancing at me and then back to him.

He paused, turning and then pointing directly at me, "Their kind, were the slaves we once held."

What?!

Vampires as slaves? Are you kidding me? In what world would that ever be a reality.

Ah, that's right...I touched the silver collar, drawing more attention as the demon continued to drone on.

"It was a very old and powerful vampire that created a rift, allowing the vampires to escape to Earth," he finished, "The demons who are a part of the rebellion are now even more satisfied, seeing her by your side as a sign that vampires can return and be slaves once again."

This went from vampires returning to where they came from to quickly being used as slaves. I didn't understand, none of this made any sense to me. Then again, I never really pictured this place as existing.

So, they just want us back because they think us the weaker species? Apparently, that isn't the whole truth. As others had said the time, I interrupted Keegan, we caused a lot of trouble when we lived here.

My eyes glanced sideways, seeing that Keegan was unmoved by what the demon had to say.

While chatting broke out amongst the group in the center of the room, I sighed, looking over their sea of heads. I caught those unique purple irises staring at me from the far-left corner, near one of the branching hallways.