Book 6⌇19. Do What You Want

Chapter 19 ∣  Do What You Want

-Adrasteia

My knees collapsed to the ground, gasping and choking on the air while the shades at fallen away from me. I held my neck, my eyes snapped closed as the sun of this underworld once again blinded me, though this time I was able to avoid its piercing rays. The thick tail that had been wrapped around my neck in a death grip, the electricity that had filled my body left, my muscles slowly releasing tension from the shock wave that went through them.

"Don't you fucking touch her!" Keegan's voice growled dangerous, removing the incubus from my personal space as they were both situated not that far away. I could only listen; I couldn't risk opening my eyes and blinding myself like the time I tried to run away.

A nasty voice barked back at him, "First you don't want to bring vampires back, standing against us and now you intend to take one as your fucking queen. How low can you get? You've pissed off even more demons then just our rebellion...wouldn't surprise me if more joined."

"I don't give a damn what you think. You're not the one who is ruling, now are you?" Keegan retorted both of their growls shifted to a more demonic sound which in turn made my skin crawl.

There was loud fighting that broke out, cracks of electricity filling the air. The gust of wind that almost knocked me over had to have come from one of their wings, beating hard against the air and taking off into the sky. My hands were shaking, touching the warm ground in front of me, carefully search for the shades. It took me a lot longer than I would have liked to find them, considering if this new incubus killed Keegan, I'd be left unable to defend myself.

Oh?

My fingertips brushed the frames, grabbing the shades and adjusting them on the bridge of my nose. Blinking my eyelids open, confirming that the shades were once again doing their job, I screamed.

A fallen body fell just three feet away from where I was kneeling, my heart jumping into my throat and making me lose my breath. Reminding myself to breathe, I slowly regained my composure, my eyes glancing over the body and noticing, that this was the one who had attacked us.

I couldn't help but jump and scoot away, Keegan touching down on the ground beside of me. My breathing coming fast, his appearance was quite unnerving. His long and thick tail came down behind me, stilling as he looked me over, his large bat-like demon wings once expanded out from his shoulder blades, but slowly folded behind his back.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his two upper and one lower set of fangs elongated as he reached his hand out toward me and I flinched away.

And I thought vampires were scary...

His hand retracts, the electric blues eyes locking with my clear blue ones beneath the shades.

"W-What was that about?" I asked, referring to the two demons that nearly killed the two of us.

Keegan's gaze looks sideways at the two dead bodies before stating, "They were assassins, here to kill the two of us," he paused, thinking something over before whispering out, "I thought they were just after me..."

I'm confused.

Keegan approached me, reaching down and taking hold of my upper arm and pulling me to my feet. I was uneasy, his eyes searched my face before he quickly brought both of his hands to my neck. I snapped my eyelids shut, afraid he'd think it better to just kill me now then, considering what had just happened...then again...why would he save me then?

The sound of metal snapping makes my eyes open as I saw the two halves of the silver collar now in each of his hands. He brought them away from me, throwing them on the ground, my heart skipping a beat at what he had just done.