Book 6⌇26. Trap

Chapter 26 ∣  Trap

-Adrasteia

"So...she's supposed to marry you?" I was standing in the hallway with Keegan, a very attractive demon who had similar features to my own was being ushered into one of the many rooms. He gave me a sideways look with his gray eyes, arching an eyebrow, and simply nodding. Shrugging my shoulders, I sighed, "I guess I can live with that."

I hadn't pictured using the wedding between Keegan and I as a trap to draw out the last force of the rebellion. He was right though, from the way the assassins had attacked Keegan and I outside the back of the palace, I'm sure they wouldn't stand for him taking me as his wife. After all, they wanted vampires brought back to the Dominion Plane...just back to their original status as slaves, nothing more.

Harlan had mentioned that Natasha would also be a key element in drawing them out, considering he had been able to draw out critical information from her. They had planted her a while ago, trying to earn Keegan's trust and hopefully wed him in order to gain the throne by his side. She'd either persuade him to bring the vampires back and enslave them or assassinate him if he said otherwise.

What a romantic couple they would have made.

Natasha happened to be the leader's daughter, so keeping her alive was 'crucial', as Harlan put it and then had added...for now. That wicked look in his purple eyes made my skin crawl, wondering exactly how he was going to torture her further once this was all over. Everyone wanted to know who the leader was, but she said she'd rather Harlan kill her, refusing to say another word. Guess that's exactly where he left her, knowing he couldn't kill her just yet.

"You'll make a lovely bride yourself," Keegan smiled, pulling me into a very strong embrace. It made me smile, the happiness filling me that I finally had someone who wanted me...who would protect me. It was a beautiful light that pulsated at the center of my chest, feeling the glow that wanted to be close to its full being.

Keegan's soul reminded me of not how I made him weak, but how he trusted me enough to make him strong by relying on another, something he'd never done. His trust was not misplaced, my own heart feeling complete with knowing how much he put his faith in me.

It would be a test though.

For the first time since he'd given me a part of his soul, I would dematerialize, and he would experience the worse feeling in the entire world. Having your beloved ripped away from you, the existence extinguishing in the blink of an eye. Vampire covens were strong, drawing on their own life force to not let it bring them to their knees and wreak havoc from losing a member like it normally would with a death.

That was not the case when bonded with your other half...I'm surprised any assassin bonded.

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" I asked, my chin resting against his chest and tilting my face up to look into his eyes. He held emotions unspoken, his own orbs lingering on my features as though he were memorizing every one of them.

"You're strong, and to put it simply, a very effective weapon," Keegan replied, bringing his lips down to mine and stealing a quick kiss. He pulled away before I even got the chance to kiss him back, disappointment rising within me.

"Well, I'd rather be a weapon then a toy," I smirked at him, hearing one of the female demons was ushering Keegan to come closer. It looks like he's about to put on the performance of a lifetime and no one wants to stay around for this after-party. Begrudgingly letting his arms loosen around me, it was his turn to get all dressed up fancy for the trap-I mean wedding.

"I love you," he whispered and then walked away from me, nodding his head and it took me a second to figure out who he was acknowledging before Harlan exclaimed, "Knock'em dead!"