Nineteen

I wake up bright and early for school. It takes me a while to crawl out of bed. Monday mornings are the worst. I'm not ready to face the Florida weather. Christmas break is nearing. I don't have any plans for over the break. It's usually the time I put in extra hours at work. With Mason having me quit my job I don't know what to do. I'm starting to think it was a bad idea. Maybe Mason has too much control right now. I know, I can get a job secretly. Mason doesn't have to know about it. I just can't stand the thought of sitting by and waiting for everything to be handed to me.

   I've always worked for everything. I'm happy Mason is doing so much for me, I'm not complaining, but there are just some habits I can't shake. Nor do I want to.

   After washing my face off and brushing my teeth I head back to my room and slip on a pair of sweatpants and a matching sweatshirt. I decided to give my sandals a rest since its cold and wear Vans. My outfit is pretty laid back. It's not like I'm trying to impress anyone anyway. I tie my weave up in a messy bun. Jen said it's going to be time for me to get it done over again. I have no idea what I'm going to get next. I love this curly hair.

   Buzz. Buzz.

   I unlock my phone to find a text from Mason saying he's outside. I'm thankful he's picking me up. I really hate riding the bus. I hate having to pass Antonio and his boys. They are so cruel. Especially when it comes to me. I guess I'm the lucky one. Yah me.

   Slipping on my backpack, I rush to the door. Its a little chilly outside today.

   "Hey, babe." I greet Mason upon entering his car. I give him a light kiss on the cheek.

   He scans me up and down. Pointing to my outfit he asks, "Is that what you're wearing to school today?"

   "Yeah, why?"

   "I don't like it. That's more something to wear on the weekends when you're not going anywhere. I think you should go change."

   I roll my eyes on the sly. First, he doesn't want me hanging out with Anthony and now he doesn't want me to wear this outfit to school? I don't know what's going on with him all of a sudden. I buckle my seatbelt. Shrugging, "Its fine Mason. I'm not trying to impress anyone. Let's just go."

   He pulls the key out of the ignition and turns so he's facing me. "Go back in the house and put on something classy. Like a dress.

   "But it's too chilly."

   He shrugs. "You can wear leggings and boots. Wear that tight green dress I bought you along with those brown boots." I stare at him, bewilderment clear on my face. He grips my arm. I cry out in pain when I feel his nails cutting into my skin. "Don't make me do something I'll regret later. Go back in the house and change."

   When he lets me go I unbuckle my seatbelt and rush inside. Tears staining my cheeks. He said he'd never touch me like that again. He lied to me. I throw on what he wants me to. I add some flashy accessories and let my hair down and fluff up my curls. I wipe my tears and rush back outside to his car. I told my arms at my chest and turn my attention to the window. He doesn't say anything else to me until we get to the school.

   "I know you think I'm being hard on you but you're only fifteen. I'm eighteen. You need to look older if you're going to be with me. Everyone needs to think you're older than fifteen." He speaks so calmly. I almost want to forgive him. I can still feel his hand around my arm, nails digging into my skin.

   "I turned sixteen Friday."

   "What? Why didn't you tell me?" I shrug. I really don't feel like explaining myself to him. I'm not thinking straight right now and I don't want to say anything to upset him any further. "Olivia you should have told me. But that's okay. I'll just have to make our date this Friday even more special. Don't be mad at me. If you would have just listened I wouldn't have had to touch you like that."

   He runs his fingers through my hair.

   "You're lucky."

   "How?"

   "Because I chose you. There are a lot of beautiful women my age that try to get with me but I chose you. You should feel lucky. I'll be here to pick you up later." He gently places a hand under my chin and turns my face so I'm looking at him. He presses his lips to mine. I give in. He flicks his tongue across my lips and I immediately part them, allowing him to slip his tongue down my throat. His hand travels to my thigh, rubbing tiny circles.

   A knock sounds at the window, causing me to jump. I look up to find Jen. Mason rolls his eyes. Jaw set. I know he wants to say something to her but decides against it.

   "See you later," I mumble getting out the car. I look over Jen's outfit. She's dressed in dark jeans and a leather jacket with a beige scarf to match the pattern on her shirt. Her boots have heels in them, allowing her to appear even taller standing next to me than she does on a daily basis. Jen and her friends all tower over me.

   "Next time wait until you're in public to start macking on my brother like that. You two almost have me hives. Eww." She pretends to shiver.

   "So dramatic."

   "I wouldn't be me if I wasn't."

   "Where's Frankie and Kenya?"

   She only shrugs. Okay, now I know something is up. The three of them always know where the other is. I leave it alone. I really don't care. When we turn down the hall to go to my locker I spot Frankie and Kenyan posted up by my locker. When I walk up to them I see that they've decorated my locker with balloons and glitter and all types of stickers. A big sign reads happy birthday Olivia. I smile. I have always seen other girls have their locker decorated but I always thought that would never be me.