Twenty-one

When Frankie comes to pick me up I can tell Mason isn't happy about it. He wants me all to his self and I think that's the cutest thing ever. He enjoys my company. But my friends want to celebrate my birthday. They already made plans and I can't just bail on them. That would be so rude to me. Especially when it's the first time I ever got to celebrate my birthday with some friends. Even though it isn't officially my birthday. Joe remembered. He bought me this lovely framed picture of the three of us; him, me, and his wife.

I remember that day as clear as day. It was the first time I met his son. Joe was so excited to show me off. He couldn't stop going on and on about how big a help I was to the shop. I always thought he was just saying that to be nice. I still think so.

"Call me if you need anything. I'll be there tonight," Mason says. He rests his hand on my waist and kisses my forehead. I smile.

"I will. See you there." I give him a small kiss before rushing to Frankie's car. Well, actually her mom's car. She doesn't have enough money to get one of her own. She didn't tell me this of course. Jen was the one to say something about it to me. She loves talking to me about other people's problems. I think its because she not only trust I'll keep it a secret but because I don't have many friends to go off telling it to. No one would listen to me anyway.

For my hair, I decide on big spiral curls with blonde tips. I was afraid the color wouldn't look right against my completion but it surprisingly does. My hair isn't too long but it isn't short. It's perfect for me. I really like it. Brandon is an amazing stylist. He is so eager to do my makeup so I let him. He is amazing.

After he finishes my hair and makeup Frankie pays with the money Jen gave her to spend on me. We stay and chat for a little while before leaving. Frankie takes me straight to the mall. The dress I pick out is beautiful. Its actually a two-piece. It has this amazing light green tent. The top is bedazzled and cropped so my stomach is out. It has a straight-across design so my breasts aren't out, not that they are big anyway. I'm tiny okay, don't judge. Anyway, the cupcake skirt is the same green with a tiny strip of bedazzling around the waist.

My legs get to show off in this dress, or rather its an outfit. I don't care. I'm still calling it a dress. It's 2016. I pair it with some sparkly heels. Thanks to Jen I know how to walk in them. Thanks to Mason my legs look great.

We rush to Frankie's house to get ready. She already bought her outfit. I decide to tie my hair up in a bun. It looks nice with the ends blonde. I love these versatile sew-ins. I'm aware of people thinking because a black girl wears weave she doesn't have hair but that's not true and I do have hair without it. Black girls aren't the only girls that wear weave. White girls do too. They just try to be sneaky with it, calling it extensions. Call it what you want but it's still weave, even if you put it in to make your hair look fuller or to add volume. Don't even get Jen started on this topic. She can go on and on and on about it. All-day long.

Frankie does a final touch-up of her makeup. "I look good. Damn." I laugh. She turns to me, "Of course you look good too. No one can look better than the birthday girl."

"You're exaggerating but thanks." I really do appreciate the compliment. I haven't had too many of those in my lifetime. They make me feel great. "Can we go now, I'm too excited?"

The building doesn't look all that exciting on the outside aside from the big neon sign that reads, Happy Birthday Olivia!

I can't imagine how much that must have cost. Jen should know she didn't have to go so overboard. A simple dinner at a non-fancy restaurant would have been just as nice. The building is packed full of people. Most of them I don't even know. I recognize a few from school. I have no idea how Jen got all these people to show up. Just about all of them don't even like me or don't know me. I guess that doesn't matter when you want to come out and have fun.

"Happy birthday!" The crowd shouts in unison. A big smile spreads across my face. This night couldn't get any better already.

"Hey, Babe! How do you like your surprise?"

"I like it a lot. Thanks so much, Jen. You too Frankie and Kenyan. I just love it."

Kenyan smiles. She gives me a small hug before dissolving into the crowd. Frankie finds a cute guy and follows him to the dance floor. I and Jen go to the car to meet up with Anthony and if course to get something to drink. Jen and Mason's dad rented the place out for the night and tipped the bartender a whole lot extra to serve alcoholic drinks. I guess money can buy you anything. Even love. I can't help but keep looking around for Mason. He hasn't met Anthony but the other day he wanted to rip his head off, or rather mine. If the two of them meet things are not going to go well.

I find Anthony at the bar trying to get some mixed chick number. She eventually gives it to him but when the two of us pop up She leaves. Anthony engulfs me in a tight embrace. He sings the birthday song to me, shouting to be heard over the music. This boy is such a fool. When he's done his eyes scan the length of my body before he digs in his pocket and finds a compliment. That didn't make it weird. I brush it off anyway. Anthony is just one of those weird people. We start up a conversation. When we forget to include Jen she gets board and sashay out on the dance floor.

I scan the club in a very discrete manner. But the more I talk to Anthony the more I forget why I'm even scanning the room. Anthony is a great guy. I can't believe he would go to such great lengths to make sure I have a good birthday. I owe him. I'm the middle of him telling me a funny joke about when he was little I double over with laughter. I nearly fall out of my chair but Anthony catches me. He places a hand on my hip to steady me. I thank him for his hospitality but he tells me not to worry about it.

"Olivia." I turn around at the sound of his voice. Mason.