Twenty-seven

By the time my punishment is over my legs feel like noodles. It reminds me of the first time I went to the gym. I run to the bathroom and hop in the shower. I don't even bother to wait until the water warms up. I just need to scrub myself clean. I feel so dirty. I need to get out of here. I want to leave but I don't know what Mason will do if I do. I have never been more afraid in my life. Mason was supposed to be someone I could trust.

   Knock! Knock!

   "Olivia hurry up. I need to shower and I don't want to have to bathe in cold water."

   "I'm coming out," I say shakily. I turn the water off and wrap a fresh white towel around my tiny body. I open the door, careful not to make eye contact. Or any kind of contact.

   He grabs me and wraps me in a hug. "Don't be mad at me. I didn't want to do that to you. You just needed to learn. I love you, Olivia."

   I stare deep into his eyes. I can't believe he said those three words. I didn't think I would ever hear it from him. I wish he would have told me earlier. Then maybe I would have felt the same way. I tell him I love him anyway. I don't want to do anything to upset him. "I'm going to bed. School tomorrow."

   He chuckles. I cringe at the sound. "Sometimes I forget how young you are. You're really mature for your age. That's part of why I like you so much."

   He lets me go and I make a B-line straight for the room. I quickly dress in a pair of pajamas. I redo my ponytail. Sometimes it feels easier to just wear my real hair but the weave is so much fun to play with. I can style it every day without having to worry about any damage being done.

   Two hours later Mason is dressed and walking out the door. I feel a sense of relief wash over me. I didn't want to be around him any longer than I had to. I just wish he would go back to the man he was. That man didn't hit me and make me do embarrassing things like stript down bare in the middle of the living room. He even pulled back the curtains so that if anyone walks by they can see. I just have to stay on his good side and nothing like that will happen again. I have to make him happy.

   I wake up the next morning with a headache. I couldn't get much sleep. I got so much on my plate. Mason didn't come home until late last night. He went straight to the bathroom and changed out of his all-black attire after taking another shower. I don't know what he was doing out so late or why he had to change clothes. I wonder if he was out selling. Or with another girl. Maybe he wants someone older and more mature to go to when he gets fed up with me.

   I roll out of bed and complete my hygiene routine. I get clothed in a pair of light blue ripped jeans I roll at the bottom and a white tank top that I tuck in. I slip on my nude heels and let my hair down. I apply mascara and cherry-flavored lip gloss. I need to look as girly and as put together as possible. Mason hates when I dress like he isn't loaded with money. When I was in the hospital he had Jen come over and put together a couple of outfits. I'm not complaining too much. Jen does know how to dress. She's been helping me with my style. I don't really have one since I never really had to care. I didn't have the money to throw away on getting lavish clothing. See, some good has come out of being with Mason.

   "You look beautiful." He says just as I'm getting ready to walk out the door, book bag slung over my shoulder.

   "Thank you."

   "You welcome. Um, ask Jen for a ride after school. In not going to be able to come to pick you up."

   "I'll be running late. I have some stuff to make up so I'm staying after for tutoring if that's okay with you."

   "It's cool. Listen, about yesterday, I believe you about that dude rapping you. I...I just didn't want to believe someone had the nerve to touch my girl," don't cry. Don't cry. "You don't have to be afraid to walk the halls. I took care of everything for you."

   I don't even want to know what that means. He gets out of bed and walks towards me. Nothing on him but his boxer briefs. He wraps his arms around me. I tense up. "Be safe," He says, smashing my lips against his. It takes everything in me to kiss him back. Don't make him upset. Don't make him upset.

   As long as I remember that I'll be okay.

   Mason slips on some basketball shorts and Jordans. He grabs his keys and follows me to his car. He drives and rests his hand on my thigh. I want to sling it off of me so bad. Don't make him angry.

   We pull up to the school and I kiss his soft lips before getting out. A couple of people swarm me with questions about what happened at the party. I know they don't really care. They're just curious and that's okay. My life is like a movie to them, and not the glamorous kind either. Oh, how I wish I could be a normal teenager like them. I decide to tell them I just tripped and fell. I hear a couple of people whispering about how they think someone jumped me. Someone else thinks I was in there having sex or getting a quick fix. The stories these people come up with amaze me.

   "Just ignore them. They don't know you as I do." Says Jen. She's been hearing a lot about what's been going around about me. I'm surprised she hasn't taken anyone's head off. "I didn't want to say anything while you were in the hospital but I saw you talking to Bianca at the party. Whatever she said made you pretty upset,"

   "Jen I can't do this right now. I have too much on my plate. I need to focus on my school work. I'm starting to fall behind and I don't like that."

   She throws her hands up in surrender. "Okay."

   "I don't need any more drama in my life."

   "Sounds like you need a vacation," Kenyan says, jumping up out the blue.

   "You're right. I could use one."

   She smiles. She has that look on her face like she has a good idea. Well with her they're always crazy ideas. "My grandparents own a lake house a couple of hours from here. I'm sure they wouldn't mind is taking a visit." See, only crazy ideas.