Twenty-two

Even though I wasn't doing anything wrong I'm sure I look like a deer stuck in headlights. My heart is beating fast. Anthony slips his hands off my waist. What were they doing there so long anyway?

   "I've been looking all over for you. I see you're still wearing the bracelet I gave you." Mason sounds completely calm. Maybe he didn't even see Anthony's hands on my waist. "You look, beautiful Babe." I thank him for the compliment. He looks good himself. Well better than good. I like how he took his dreads out those braids. He's dressed in a silky grey dress-shirt and dark jeans with a pair of Timbs. He looks so casual. Well casual for him. He always looks so serious but tonight I can tell he loosened up.

   "Hey Baby." I turn to Anthony. "This is Anthony. He's-" Oh gosh if I tell him Anthony is the guy I was on the phone with he'll flip. I have to tell him the truth. I'm not a good liar. He'll see right through it. That'll only make things worse between us. We've already been a little shaky. "He's a friend. Anthony, This is Mason, my boyfriend." I must look really guilty now. I don't know why. I didn't even do anything wrong. I can be friends with a guy. I can be friends with whoever I want. Well, whoever is willing to be my friend.

   "Nice to meet you," Mason greets. He extends a hand. Anthony shakes it. Maybe he's calmed down about the whole situation and realized how preposterous he sounded.

   "Likely," Anthony replies. He turns to me, "Well I'm about to go holla at this lil shorty. I'll catch you later. Have fun birthday girl." He walks off to go find whatever girl he's looking for. In thankful for the last part because it makes it easier to believe there's nothing going on between us other than the start of a very good friendship.

   "Olivia I want to talk to you about something." I nod, giving him permission to keep going. "I really want you to move in with me. You shouldn't stay at that house with him. It's not safe for you. I'll pay the bills and keep good in the house for him if that will her you to change your mind."

   Wow. After I declined the first time I didn't expect him to ask again. I thought he was too upset. Gabriel has kept me from doing so many things that I want to do. I can't let him hold me back any further. He doesn't deserve me like that. He doesn't deserve those types of sacrifices. When I give Mason my answer he picks me up and plants wet kisses on my lips. I just made him so happy. I love making him happy. He makes me happy.

   "You want to dance?"

   "Sure," I respond. I grab his hand and lead him to the dance floor.

   "Girl I see you ain't with the playing. And I can tell by your body language! Let's talk about it! Are you 'bout it? Let's talk about it! Can we talk about it?!" The song blast through the room. I grind my hips against Mason. It feels funny at first because I've never done it with a guy before but I eventually warm up to it. Mason seems to be having fun. He grips the sides of my waist and force me to grind into him even more. I can't imagine what we look like to other people. And for the first time in my life, I don't care either. I'm having so much fun. I'm almost looking forward to my birthday next year. I'm nearly eighteen. It won't be long until Mason and I don't have to worry about what the police are going to think of our relationship. It's not that serious. We're not that far apart. Mason is barely an adult, though you wouldn't be able to tell by his expensive penthouse and clothes.

   After a while my feet get tired and I run out of energy by the fifth song. I decide to go to the bar and order a water. In not too big on drinking. Gabriel drinks and it turns him into someone else. I don't want to be Him. I just can't. One drink is enough. It might be more than enough in some cases. When the cool liquid falls down my throat I sigh.

   "Now I see how you were able to come up so quickly." I look up to find that the voice belongs to Bianca. She is definitely the last person I would expect to be here. She hates me more than anyone. Maybe that's exactly why she's here. To start trouble. I thought I was done with her. Jen scared her. I thought she wouldn't dare to come near me again. It was working this far.

   "Bianca?"

   "In the flesh. So how did a low life girl like yourself get with one of the worst drug dealers around? You screwing him for his money? That would explain everything."

   "You're lying. Mason isn't a drug dealer." No. That's not true because he's a construction worker. He has a legit job. Plus he wouldn't lie to me. I trust Mason. He's the only guy to see me before all of the fancy clothes. And hair.

   She's just trying to get under my skin. I have known Bianca all of my life. She has been nothing but trouble. She lies to get what she wants. She will stop at nothing. Girls like her...

   She puts on a fake smile. "Oh, poor baby. I can't believe he didn't tell you," her face turns cold, "so what is he this time? A retailer? A waiter? Or was he a construction worker?" My lips part in surprise. Bianca smiles. "He used that one on me too,"

   I don't even get the chance to say anything to her. She takes off towards the door.

   "Olivia it's time to sing happy birthday and cut the cake," Jen says. I can't move. I don't want to go on stage in front of the crowd. I don't know if I can put on a brave face. Not after what I just heard.

   I shake my head. "Jen can we not? I'm really up to it."

   "Of course not. It's your birthday party. Are you okay?"

   She's right. It is my party. My very first one. I can't just exclude myself from any activities. "I guess I'm just a little scared. I'm fine. Lead the way."

   The cake is beautiful. It is big and pink with a bunch of girly cake decorations. The accessories look so real. I'm surprised by how well I'm able to keep it together when the crowd starts singing happy birthday. Mason rests an arm around my neck. I retrain from slapping it off. This song certainly seems longer than I remember.